“Hippy Chic a real find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Loy La Long Hotel

You added Loy La Long Hotel to your Saves list
Loy La Long Hotel
1620/2 (inside Patumkongka Rachaworawiharn Temple) Song Wat Road | Sampanthawong, Bangkok, Thailand   |
Ranked #10 of 467 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
“Hippy Chic a real find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and had a great stay. If you're looking for something a bit different then this hotel is a must. Yes its hard to find but well worth it. The views out over the river are fantastic and sitting having a Gin and Tonic in the evening is just great. The food was some of the best we had in Bangkok and the staff are an absolute pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Thai first
Pune
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed at Loy La Long for a night! It was a little hard to find and I would highly recommend learning the name of the temple who's backyard this hotel is in! We chose the blue room which was just surreal. The room was tastefully decorated in blue as the name suggests and the large windows open out to a tiny private balcony overlooking the Chao Praya river and the night skyline! Extremely romantic setting and a great experience! The breakfast could have been a lot better but can be ignored!

Room Tip: Blue room is really great! Probably one of the best views!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Valencia, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I can only add to the glowing reviews and say that my stay at the LLL was wonderful. Yes, it's a little difficult to find, and yes, our taxi driver got lost but you can download diredtions in Thai from the hotel web site and problem sorted. The hotel floats on the river, behind a temple, providing a peaceful and tranquil stay away from the chaos of Bangkok. It's located in China Town so it's easy to move around the city from its location.The entrance to the hotel is a small alleyway stuffed with bikes from the neighbours, and as previously mentioned a bit scary looking especially at night but once inside the hotel you feel at right at home. Boat, the hotel manager made our stay extremely comfortable, helped us out and gave us advice on where to go and what to do. Although young, he is serious about his job and professional.
We stayed in the White room. I was under the impression when I booked that I had booked the whole room. We were more than surprised one night when we went back to the hotel that someone else was in our room! Having been under this impression, our passports, money and valuables were not locked away. Apparently because the room has four beds (we were only three) they use this room as a hostel type room. We were not informed about this, it's not mentioned on the web nor were we told about the extra person. Boat sorted out the problem in no time at all and was extremely apologetic about the misunderstanding. If you do book the White room, be aware that if the room isn't full they can put someone else in with you.
The hotel is lovely, relaxing and stylish. The common areas were spotlessly clean and well maintained as was our room. Breakfast was great - prepared by Boat every morning and the terrace area is wonderful for a drink before dinner overlooking the river.
We had a real authentic Thai experience at the LLL and will go back if we are ever in Bangkok again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Beppu-shi, Oita, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Loy La Long was a much needed harbor from the storm that is Bangkok. The hotel itself feels very secluded. It's on the grounds of a temple, and is nestled between the living quarters of the monks and the river. If you walk through the area late in the afternoon you will be treated to a very cool scene with orange robes hanging out to dry in the late afternoon sun, and the area itself is very pretty.

It's located between two water taxi stations, allowing quick access to any of the sights along the river. Additionally, it's in Chinatown for shopping or food (although the staff can cook some amazing dishes as well) and is about a ten minute walk to the MRT (subway) station, letting you access nearly every major area in the city quickly and cheaply.

The staff were helpful, polite, and even helped me get my laundry done after arriving. The food and drinks are reasonably priced, and I spent a fair amount of time getting some work finished while sitting on the river. I stayed in the dormitory, and it was generally clean. I think I slept more in that dormitory than I had the past twenty days due to the combination of the waves and the dark room. I didn't wake up in time for breakfast once, although they still made it for me at eleven o'clock one day.

I found the best way to get out there is to take the Airport express to Phaya Thai, hop on the the Skytrain to Siam, switch lines and go to Sala Daeng, then hop on the MRT to Hua Lamphong. From there it's just a ten minute walk to the temple.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I'm going to go against the grain here as the reviews are glowing. I however was sorely disappointed with Loy La Long. I was really looking forward to staying here and had booked months in advance after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, which I have learned to place a lot of trust in. I feel that the reviews for Loy La Long absolutley get some things right, for one the staff. They are welcoming and extremely friendly. They are happy to provide assistance for just about anything and everything. They are certainly a highlight of LLL. The location of the hotel is certainly pretty special, being snuggled in the grounds of a wat and monestary. The building itself is also neat and unique which I enjoyed.

Here comes the "but"....LLL is sorely missing on some important details - mainly cleanliness. When I arrived it looked like my bathroom hadn't been cleaned after the last guest. The shower stall was disgusting with leftover hair (not head hair either...read between the lines) left in it. As I later realized it wasn't for lack of cleaning but lack of maintenance. The drain in the shower was the slowest I've ever come across. The floors were quite dirty in the common areas, and weren't swept/washed the entire time I was there. The towel for my room was the saddest oldest towel and certainly time to get tossed. It smelled terrible after getting wet, a symptom of too many wash cycles. Wifi didn't work at all in my room.

This is a fun place if you want a chill place to stay that's laid back and relaxed. But I also think this is where it falls down. It's run by a young crowd which certainly gives the place a backpacker feel, but at these prices I expect more.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This delightful little boutique hotel was the highlight of our recent stay in Bangkok. Literally sitting on the river, it provides a welcome sanctuary from the intensity of the city. With only a few rooms, the service is highly personalised and attentive. Boat, the hotel manager was a fantastic host, making breakfast to order every morning, providing great local advice and directions and offering access to a range of services and attractions.

The rooms are beautiful and quirky and the communal areas are delightfully appointed and comfortable. Our bed was brilliant providing the best nights sleep I had in Thailand. The only down side to our room was the shower, which was very picturesque but completely impractical and tiny.

The central location near Chinatown makes it the perfect place from which to explore the enormity of Bangkok. Great local eateries abound and the MRT is a ten minute walk away providing easy and affordable access to markets, shopping and cultural attractions.

It is not easy to find; our taxi driver made several stops and phone calls on the way from the airport. I would advise getting directions prior to your stay. The entrance is a little scary; with broken down bikes and carts in a grubby alleyway behind a temple. This only makes for an even greater surprise when you enter the wonderful oasis of Loy La Long. I would definitely stay here again, opting for a room with a better shower! A great place to stay for couples looking for a romantic setting.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the red room with the teeny tiny shower!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
hongkong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

i was admire by the splendid rooms here, at this hotel, everything here was adsolutely amazing but the most amazing thing i got a brilliant rooms with beautiful view over the river, the CHinatown nearby including many traditional food and drinks as well, you can buy many cheap items from chinatown and get directions easily to some attractions nearby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Loy La Long Hotel? Share your experiences!