“They made me feel like I could actually cook!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #260 of 459 Activities in Bangkok
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
Singapore
“They made me feel like I could actually cook!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

For someone who is terrible in the kitchen I think I did pretty darn well in this class! My husband and I had an amazing time learning our favorite dishes. I have actually tried to recreate and come pretty close. Which again, for someone who frequently messes up even steamed rice this is a huge deal! It was all smiles and laughter in our class and the instructors were world class. Seriously, they travel the world sometimes teaching this stuff. I felt lucky the squeezed an extra class in just for me and the husband. I sent my sister and her friend there as well and have suggested this be a priority activity to anyone I know coming to Bangkok. SO much fun!

Visited August 2011

Cupertino, California
“Most Authentic Thai Cooking with Superb Instructors!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I did extensive research on cooking schools before I selected Khao. Other more famous ones cater mainly for tourists and they all have very similar menus to choose from. Khao can offer mainstream cooking class but more importantly, they have great selection of dishes for serious amateur chef like me, who does not work in a restaurant. For those who are more adventurous and curious about Thai cuisine, this is THE place to be. From the assistants to the instructors, everyone there is super passionate about food and thai cuisine. Our instructors, JC and Toey, both had been chefs at a great thai restaurant. They love what they do and you can feel that through out the classes that they want us to love thai food and they teach us to cook like a thai!

We learnt to make common dishes such as Phad Thai, Satay, and curries. But we made pretty much everything from scratch. We made the curry paste with a mortar. We tasted the curry paste as we made it, so we know what flavor we are aiming for. We had the recipes but what JC always tried hard to teach us was what the "flavor" should be like because that is a better way to learn the dishes.

We also learn to make some dishes that are not common in America. We made many salads and seafood dishes that are commonly found in Asia and in more authentic thai restaurants. Through cooking different dishes, we learnt about Thai cooking and Thai's way of life. It was just wonderful.

JC is a great instructor. She will always take the time to answer our questions. She taught us the components and complexities of thai food. She introduced us to all the thai ingredients and how to achieve the balance of the sweetness, saltiness and spiciness in Thai food. Everyone at Khao takes cooking to a whole new level: Even the garnishes and plating are professionally done. You can see from the photos. I spend 4 days with them and I was in Thai food heaven!

Visited February 2012
Odense, Denmark
26 attraction reviews
“Very impressed with the class!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Just went to Bangkok on business and had a half day free so decided to try out a cooking class.

This class was great. The cooking school is located of KhaoSan Road, fairly easy to find. The teacher JC was great. The class only had 8 people and the recipes I wanted to learn were covered. The class started with some information about Thai cooking and then a demonstration and tasting of the things we were going to learn to make. Then we each went to our woks and were assisted in making 4 dishes - Tom Yum soup, Stir fried chicken with cashew nut, fried rice and green curry. We also learnt how to make the paste for green and red curry.

I would highly recommend this cooking school. Lots of great advise was given about substitutions for vegetables etc that you may not be able to get in your home country. Looking forward to trying out these recipes at home now and with the training I got, I'm sure it will be possible once I find the ingredients.

Visited February 2012
Sydney, Australia
26 attraction reviews
“Authentic Thai cooking experience with tasty results”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My friend and I were looking for something to do the morning before our flight home. We'd already had massages and visited many temples, so decided to take a cooking class. Another friend had stayed at the D&D and recommended Khao Cooking School for it's small classes and home-kitchen feel. We walked in and booked a class for the next day. It was a great choice! We were the only 2 students in our session so it was like a private lesson. The instructor was so lovely and chirpy, and explained what each ingredient contributed to the dish and the history of Thai cuisine. In our 3-hour lesson we made Pad Thai, Green and Red (Panaeng) Curry, and Tom Kah Gai (Chicken in Coconut Soup with Galangal).

Visited July 2011
Denver, Colorado
“A Professional Culinary Experience for the Home Chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

First a little background, I work in the foodservice industry. I was planning a recent trip to Bangkok and I decided to ask a friend that is a corporate chef for a major chain for reccomendations for a chef school in Bangkok. He reccomended Khao San. In looking at their website you will probably recognize several culinary figures here in the US and around the world that have attended the school. The school was founded by Kobkaew Najpinit and her daughter, Ning. Kobkaew is considered the godmother of Royal Thai cuisine. Kobkaew and Ning have been invited several times to lecture and present at the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone here in the US. They have consulted on several Thai cookbooks by some of the best known chefs of Thai cuisine. I was very excited to get the opportunity to learn Thai cooking at Khao San.
The way the school is set up is you select 3 dishes that you would like to prepare. The ingredients necessary are assembled. Ning not only explains the ingredients and preparation techniques but also makes sure that she illustrates the history and cultural importance of the dish. Food is extremely important to the Thai culture. While Ning and her brother do an excellent job in the techniques of wok frying or grinding curry pastes, they particularly excel in explaining Thai culinary culture. Ning actually holds a masters degree in anthropology in addition to being a very good chef. The school is set up in the back of the D&D Inn on Khao San (or sarn) road. This area of Bangkok is kind of a funky, bohemian area of backpackers and hippies and worth a visit even if not attending the school. However, the school is very professionally equiped, light. airy and very clean. I know there are several more "tourist" oriented schools mass marketed in Bangkok, however if you want the same culinary training in Thai cusine that many of the most well known chefs around the world have gotten then I would reccomend the Khao San Cooking school.

Visited April 2011