“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18

You added Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18 to your Saves list
Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Sukhumvit Soi 18, Sukhumvit Road | Klongteoy, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #34 of 764 Hotels in Bangkok
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've traveled to many hotels in the world, including motels all the way up to 5-star resorts. I love this hotel because, as others have said, it is a in a quite part of Bangkok. If you need to get to other parts of Bangkok, taxi, MTR or BTS are within minutes. Taxis are totally cheap, so much so, I can't believe how cheap.

Let me start by saying that Peter Lucas, the General Manager of the hotel, watches after his guests with high regard. Even when it's earlier in the morning, late at night, or the weekend (clearly he needs time off too,) he responds very promptly via wireless email. You can tell he cares about his hotel, staff, and visitors. I emailed ahead of time prior to my arrival and asked for the favor of checking in early, as my flight was arriving early. No problem. Once I arrived, a very polite and helpful employee, Pok, helped get my belongings to my room. On the subject of Pok, he was very helpful and you will know when you are dealing with him because he makes sure questions are answered, including where to go, what to avoid, etc. If you have a chance and see Pok, say hello, he's a very nice gentleman with a genuine smile.

While some others have said this hotel has a "dark" look to it, that is exactly what I like. Very modern, minimalist, and comfortable. I am a Carlson gold member and the staff saw to it that my room was upgraded to the club floor. My first room was very nice, but the noise, especially in the morning, was horrible, apparently because the pool and jacuzzi equipment are not far by. After a few days (I shouldn't have waited), I asked to be moved to another room. They promptly moved me to what is considered probably the best views in the hotel, 7 floor facing the the front and side of the hotel where the small outdoor door restaurant is (not affiliated with the hotel - you must try this, too - cheap and good). When you walk out the front door of the hotel, make a right and it's next door.

The room was very comfortable, including the beds and the pillows. The shower was outstanding and very large for Asian standards. Room noise in the second room was much much better. You can barely hear things outside, unless its a loud tuk tuk. The amenities in the room include 4 bottles of water a day, fruit, turn down service, higher ceilings, etc. (club floor.) One thing that was a little confusing is that they upgraded my room (the club level is supposed to include free daily breakfast), but when I went to go eat the restaurant, they told me I would have to pay. Not a big deal, except that when you see the club benefits, that's clearly one of the benefits. Like I said, not a big deal, they should just be clear when they upgrade you for free to this level that this doesn't include breakfast (or better yet, I say if you upgrade the room, give all the amenities).

A few items of improvement would be the main restaurant. They are very quick to remove your dishes, so keep an eyeball like a hawk on your food, because if you turn around, it will be gone when you return. It was a bit hard to relax, because they are constantly eyeballing your table for something to clear. However, I addressed this with management and I must say their response was outstanding. They sent a complimentary pizza, fruit, and a letter of apology to my room with two people providing all of this. Thai people are probably one of the most polite people I have ever met in my life, probably right up there with Japanese people. In all my years staying in hotels, I've never seen in a manager write a letter of apology. The other issue is when house keeping is cleaning rooms, they sometimes like to use their portable radios to engage in a large amount of chit chat. My recommendation would be to save the chit chat for the employee elevators (or somewhere else0 and to provide employees with ear plugs so you can't hear on on-going chatter. Most of the time this was not an issue, but one day it was pretty bad and went on for a few hours.

All in all, an excellent hotel that I can't speak highly enough about. I think the reviews on this hotel so far have been very accurate, so you know when you pick this hotel there's a huge chance you'll love it. The price point is ridiculous, too. It was so cheap, I couldn't resist and I don't regret it for a second!

I'm only tough on some of the comments because these are what I consider to be small, easily fixable problems. No hotel is perfect, but this one is close.

Mr. Lucas, hats off to you, your staff, especially Pok!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Parkplaza B, General Manager at Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Mr Sean,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor and for your incredibly thorough and informative post! Thank you for the great recommendations of which we are in the process of implementing.

I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at the Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18 (Sukhumvit) and have shared these with my team. It is always a pleasure to receive positive review, which will serve as an encouragement to all our Associates as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you, your family or friend to the Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18 (Sukhumvit)!

plucas@parkplaza.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here on a 4 night family trip to Bangkok with the five of us sharing two comfortable rooms on the same floor (adjoining rooms not possible this time). Although the common parts of the hotel have a somewhat oppressively dark theme the rooms themselves were excellently appointed and finished to a high standard (complimentary wifi, multi-channel TV, DVD player etc).

Other pro's? Nice roof top pool, gym bar and lounge area; very friendly staff; extremely helpful concierges; complimentary computer access in reception; good breakfast quality; ease of access to rail links; local eateries starting right next door.

Cons? 6/10 for water pressure in the showers.

Suggestions? Attach the hotel safe to something to avoid the whole lot being taken!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Parkplaza B, General Manager at Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Southbay,

Thank you very much for your post and for taking the time to share your review with fellow travellers! We have well noted your pro's and suggestions, thank you very much for this and look forward to having you stay again with us.

Penguin Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed on business 4 nights, brilliant location, 5 minute walk from MTR and everything Bangkok has to offer, yet in the most wonderfully quiet side street off Sukhumvit. Loads of choice for food, stay in for authentic Thai or venture out for the enticing aromas of street food at your doorstep to fab restaurants like Face Soi 38 and Kuppa Deli Restaurant in the next Soi 16. 5 minutes also to shopping at Terminal 21.
Park Plaza Soi 18 is really modern and not too big, it feels very private and appears to have a really nice mix of leisure and relaxed corporate types. Free Wifi throughout the hotel and even on the roof top pool deck is just the trick for staying connected, a must if you are traveling with a laptop or ipad. Highly recommend if you can get a room....very popular

Room Tip: Take an upgrade to a Plaza Club room and get 2 pce laundry included in the rate...worth it!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nicos60,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor and for your thorough and detailed commentary! Many thanks also for noting our complimentary wifi and rooftop lounge.

Kristiansand, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel when I was going on to Hong Kong the next day, so far so good.
I would only be gone for two days and wanted to keep my 20-kilo suitcase at Park Plaza luggage storage service.
When I brought it on my second stay, I see that they apparently have dumped the suitcase on the ground and it had all the weight on one wheel.
This resulted in the wheel was turned into the suitcase and this can not be repaired.
Did the reception aware of this when I was checking out and they took a picture of the damage and said they would send me an email on what to do next.
Got businesscard to duty manager, Sirikan Parateeavong, who would contact me pr.mail. Even after over a week I had not received any mail. I kept a small bag for my second stay and when I piced it up (I booked myself into a different hotel since there was no feedback from them) they said at the reception that they would ask management to contact me.
After over 10 days I still have not heard anything.
This is the best way to let a hotel that could be received 8 out of 10 points get terribly unhappy customers.
This is not about compensation but simply get a replay and an apology.
It is not with promises of upgrading, you do not want to stay somewhere where you know employees are not careful with one's belongings!
An promise for upgrade next time-is not a solution when you destroy an expensive briefcase.

This hotel I can not recommend to anyone after this.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear GeirPaaEg,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor! We have well noted your response and let me review immediately with our Duty Manager and will revert to you in the coming hours in relation to your suitcase.

Inverell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We recently had 4 nights at the Park Plaza Soi 18. I booked directly with the hotel which was easy to do and they also arranged transport from the airport. The rooms are big and very modern decor. Breakfast buffet was included so each morning we enjoyed fresh fruit as well eggs cooked to order. (There were lots of other choices like yoghurt,salad,pastries, Asian food etc as well) Easy walk to Asok station. Right next door there is a good Thai restaurant and in the same street you can get massages and washing done. I would definitely stay at park Plaza again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DeanAlex,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor and very glad to read you would return to stay again with us :) !

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights upon arrival in Thailand. The hotel entry is beautiful - really warm and inviting. Grab a taxi from Bangkok airport to the hotel - don't pay more than 500 baht to get a taxi , though - as we almost got scammed by going to the wrong place.

When we got there, the entry lobby was beautiful and modern, the staff were wonderful and we were in our room within minutes of arriving. We booked our hotel on priceline and managed to get this room for less than $60 USD per night and it was a great value! The beds are comfy, the rooms are clean and very modern and the bathroom was delightful.

Across the street, we ate dinner at the Modern Cafe, and breakfast there again the next morning. The hotel staff booked us a tour of the temples at a great price. Next door we got amazing Thai massages for 200 baht (less than $7) that were amazing.

The hotel is walking distance from the BTS so it was more than convenient and we would definitely recommend to anyone staying in Bangkok. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Just booked a deluxe room - no need to upgrade, you get everything you need!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Parkplaza B, General Manager at Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear djb1210,

Very glad to read you enjoyed the hotel and the location as well as the facilities :)

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights and found it to be the perfect hotel for a weekend break. Close enough to explore the Bangkok night life but without the noise when you want to escape. 5 minutes walk to the MTR or sky train which will take you wherever you need to go. Though if the thought of public transport scares you, taxis are very cheap and easily found in this area.

The rooms are of a good size and kept very clean. The pool is great on the roof top, perfect for a dip at the end of the day.

I had breakfast, room service and the Sunday buffet in the hotel. No complaints about any of them.

I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Rmoon78,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to us on TripAdvisor and for your great comments! Hope you will get a chance to revisit us again :)

plucas@parkplaza.com

Been to Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18? Share your experiences!