“Bistro... it is” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bistro M

Bistro M
90 Sukhumvit Soi 24, Klongton, Klongtoey | Sukhumvit Park, Bangkok - Marriott Executive Apartments, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #684 of 8,056 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai, International, Pizza & Pasta, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: An upbeat and trendy bistro in downtown Bangkok serving breakfast, lunch and dinner with a mouth-watering menu crafted of Thai and international delicacies.
Manila, Philippines
“Bistro... it is”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

It is not easy to find bistro food while cruising around the Sukhumvit area. Right at the middle of the busy and getting to be a posh street of Soi 24 is Bistro M. The breakfast buffet is packed with in-house and walk-in guests appealing to its ample breakfast choices and modest price. Especially on weekends when I would like to be early for shopping at the Emporium Mall, I would have simple food before or after. I'd go for the usual Thai favorites of pad thai or curry if I'm in the mood for Thai flavors or a simple club sandwich or thin crusted pizza. Do not expect an elaborate setting, it is just your normal hotel coffee shop setting, which is fine by me. A good watering hole in the area.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bangkok, Thailand
“Looks good from the outside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The food is ok. It is worth the money, the restaurant looks a lot classier from the outside.

Visited June 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Felt Rushed, Food Generic But Pretty Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife and I ate here for the Sunday breakfast buffet. We arrived 30 minutes before the end of serving time, and the staff was polite about letting us know. I would have been happier if they didn't strike down the entire serving apparatus right at 10:30, as some of us would prefer to take longer than 30 minutes to complete a meal. Even just another 15 minutes would have made a difference for me. Just my opinion.

As for the service and staff, they were ok, but not noteworthy.

The food was pretty good but tasted, well, like your average hotel buffet. The food tasted somewhat mass-produced overall. Even the very Thai pork with bamboo dish was lackluster. I think another reviewer here hit it on the head with the phrase "trying to please everyone". This place is probably perfect for the family of six that includes four picky eaters, where you really need that quality in a restaurant!

Not sure that we'll be back, as we probably aren't the target audience for this place. Besides, there are just way too many truly exciting places to eat in BKK!

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok
“Outstanding Beef Tenderloin!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

A friend invited my wife and I to meet him at Bistro M, which is the in-house restaurant at the Marriott Executive Apartments on Sukhumvit Soi 24 in Bangkok. The venue is small, but tasteful, with that smooth sense of service that seems to characterize all Marriott properties in this city.

Unfortunately, we have only eaten at this restaurant once, but it probably does not matter, as we both agree that we will order the same thing in the event that we return: the Australian Beef Tenderloin.

There are many other dishes tempting the hungry gourmand at this restaurant, but we were in the mood for steak, so that is what we ordered. What arrived at our table was a gratifyingly 2.5-inch thick slab of meat four inches in circumference, with what appeared to be a one-inch fat slice of cheese covering the entire top of it like a flat hat. It was not cheese. It was garlic butter. And it slowly melted into the meat. After I stuck the prong of my fork in it and I tasted it, I raised my eyebrows, and I waited until it melted completely.

Sheer genius. The meat was succulent, it was flavorful, and it was perfectly cooked. I felt immediate endorphin bliss as I bit into a piece, and it was one of the best steaks that I have had in my entire life. Surprising, considering that the steak is merely offered like any other menu item, and not featured. The restaurant does not advertise itself as anything more than a in-house restaurant offering an international menu. Where this steak was concerned, the restaurant was clearly punching above its weight class, and I must commend them for it.

The steak came with herb buttered sautéed spinach, and we both ordered it with mashed potatoes rather than with steak fries. That was also a good choice, as the potatoes were very nicely executed. The spinach was ok. It did not ruin the rest of the meal, but it did not elevate it, either.

There is not much else to say. The atmosphere was comfortable and not too warm, and the service was very competent, but that is to be expected in a Marriott restaurant. At 690 baht, the tenderloin is a very strong value. Compare this to what you would pay for a far lesser steak at Sizzler's, or Outback, or worst of all, at Tony Roma's. It is a bargain compared to the steaks offered at dedicated steak houses in the large hotels, or even in the better restaurants like Tenderloin's or Bourbon Street.

I do not know what the overall bill was, considering that my friend was paying, but we all three of us had the Australian Tenderloin, and we all raved about it. We split one bottle of wine among us, and that certainly doubled our total cost. If you go in, order one glass of wine, drink sparkling water, and then order the tenderloin, your order for two will surely come in around 3,000 baht, or $100 USD. It sounds like a lot, and it is, but it is a strong value for Bangkok, considering that the price includes VAT, service charge and tip.

For once, I was not compelled to visit the bathroom facilities, so I cannot comment on them. I will say that the restaurant seemed empty, but that is to be expected, as this Marriott is right across the street from a major seafood venue. It also has to be noted that the concierges in Marriott hotels here commonly refer guests to other venues in the city. I am not sure why, when they have little jewels like this restaurant under their own roof.

I highly recommend this modest restaurant, and I strongly endorse the Australian Beef Tenderloin.

Hope that this helps.

Enjoy! :)

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Kids' Menu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We live nearby and come here regulary with the children for a casual lunch or dinner. The adult menu offers a good spread in Thai and western cuisine. Set lunches are value for money. The kids' menu offers a variety and is also very value for money.

I have ordered 'takeaways' too from the regular menus.

Service is good although recently I noticed the number serving has reduced. Bright open sitting area with glass windows from ceiling to floor facing the street but not in the least noisy.

• Visited January 2012