“Nice hostel, room for improvement.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Saphaipae Hostel

You added Saphaipae Hostel to your Saves list
Saphaipae Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   35 Surasak Road | Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand   |
Ranked #20 of 565 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
“Nice hostel, room for improvement.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Positives:

Good location, very easy to get to using the BTS train from Suvarnabhumi Airport. It is located in the business district of Bangkok (the quiter side of Bangkok) but not to far from the action. One bus to Khao San Road, bus stop is a five minute walk. The staff are somewhat friendly (comes across contrived at times). The dorm is spacious and tidy, although it was dusty. The breakfast was free, which was great. Loads of toilets and showers, so never had to wait.

Negatives:

The restaurant food is expensive, but there is street food and restaurants at an abundance outside. Their tour desk is expensive, much cheaper on Khao San Road. Wifi is intermittent and slow. There is no atmosphere. Be aware that if you stay away from the hostel for a night or two (whilst still being booked in) your things will get taken by the cleaners!! (if not stored in the lockers provided).

The bad service I received:
So angry that upon my return to the hostel after two nights away, my breakfast vouchers, a key for one of my locks, some money (sterling), a ring and my personalised pen was thrown away/taken by house keeping, And there was no help when I went to the front desk for help, she said to return the following morning when house keeping is here (dismissively). I returned to the front desk for assistance the following morning. Unfortunately I ran into the same unhelpful lady as yesterday (her name is Preaw), she told me to sit and wait. She had me waiting half an hour before I became impatient and I walked back to the front desk to ask for an update. She huffs and says "ok...". And says there is no news on it, so I asked for some new vouchers for breakfast and she gives them to me. I then asked her "what is the point of me paying for a space to rent if my things are going to get thrown away?". She does some typing and replys "yes you have paid". I said "I know, that is the point. Why am I paying for my things to be thrown away" and she pauses and says "ok I heard everything". And ends there, with no help or apology. Terrible service, extremely disappointed. And it has nothing to do with a language barrier as she spoke perfectly good Engligh before this situation.

I guess the situation only has me to blamw for leaving my things but the reponse from the front desk was not helpful, she was very dismissive. I dont understand the concept of paying for a space if they are only going to violate it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
yonjiri, Owner at Saphaipae Hostel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Lily

Thank you for choosing Saphai Pae and thank you for writing a review to us.

After reading your review, I investigated the problem right away and here's the summary:
- your belongings went missing in the dorm and I've asked every housekeepers and they said they did not moved your belongings.
- you were told to wait until the next morning for help, and yes, it's our fault since there weren't any housekeepers to assist you right away at the time of your claim and we only had 1 receptionist who he/she couldn't leave his/her post. This is completely our fault due to our temporary lack of staffs since our spare housekeeper was on a leave. However, now we are back to standby to assist our guests 24 hours once again.
- Forgive me for Ms. Praew's reaction toward you. I've spoken to Ms. Praew personally and I will educate my staffs to be more caring and more attentive.

Again, our housekeepers might have moved your stuffs on their good deeds. Now I've told all housekeepers not to touch any stuffs on our guests' beds if they haven't check-out yet...
Again, staying in a dorm with someone else could be risky when belongings are left around unlocked in your personal lockers provided while you are not around in the rooms.

I've heard that you lost some of your sterling due to this incident and I will be happy to compensate it if you could discuss with me personally via my e-mail: yonjiri82@hotmail.com

Lastly, please accept our apologies due to lack of staff's education and we sincerely hope you could give us a chance to serve you again in future...

Thanks
John, assistant manager
Saphai Pae Hostel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

If it's your first time in Bangkok and you're not really sure how to get around just yet, stay here. The hostel is really easy to find with good links from the sky train from the city's main airport.

As described on here the hostel is very clean and I paid around £5.50 for one night for booking it online. It does come with lockers but you'll need a lock, or you can buy one at reception for 60THB.

Fully equipped with laundry room, irons, hair dryers in bathrooms and computer, wifi and printing facilities with 24/7 reception.

Only thing I'd say is there wasn't much atmosphere at all, the backpackers did kind of stay to themselves.

• Stayed June 2014
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

This hotel is closer to a nice hotel than a hostel.

For my girlfriend and I, paying for two dorm beds was out of our price range. But when you really like a place, you make it work. We ended up coming back at least a dozen times during our travels through Asia.

One of the best things about this place is the location, as in, not on Khao San Road. You are only a 5 minute walk from the skytrain station, which is critical if you really want to see Bangkok on a budget. Also only a short walk from the boat terminal.

Bathrooms and showers are above hostel standards. Beds are very comfortable, including the duvet you get. Rooms are always a good temperature, and very well maintained.

The free pool table, slew of computers, coin laundry, TV lounges, and cafe restaurant were all very nice bonus'.

They also offer a free baggage storage service, which we took advantage of while we made week long trips to the surrounding areas with only small bags.

Room Tip: Book online, it is cheaper than booking at reception. Also, don't be afraid of the dorms, they a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great Hostel, Super Clean, has everything you could need, ive stayed in a lot of hostels and this is defiantly right up there with the best of them if not the best, super comfy big bed, great bunks that arnt noisy, heaps of bathrooms and toilets that are always clean, very helpful staff

Room Tip: I had a 4 person dorm on the 4th floor which was great, even had a view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Super (and I mean ludicrously) clean! Good room rates and being so close to the bts is great. You can move around the city quickly easily and on the cheap. Staff are helpful (except for those on breakfast) and free brekkie is a plus. Only downside is that if you're travelling solo and are partly relying on fellow hostel stayers for socialising you'll be disappointed here. If you're introverted and don't care about going days without much interaction fellow hostel inhabitants this is your Mecca!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hostel is great, the location is unbeatable, very short walk from closest BTS station (Surasak) and still walking distance to Saphan Taksin BTS (with connection to Chao Praya Express Boat) where you can visit main attractions in Bangkok. The room and the bathroom are very clean, spotless. The bed is super comfy, and complete facility inside the room and bed. The dorm price is so worth it, high value for money. I highly recommend this hostel in Bangkok, one of the best.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Booked a private room with wife and infant son. Didn't take the city view room, hoping to avoid traffic noise, ang I wasa bang on. Sleeps were 100% silent!

Great A/C, huge tv (with BBC News!), quality free water bottles. The room itself was perfect.

My only gripe is the atrocious breakfast. Aside from greasy eggs, there are 2 kinds of greasy hot dogs (with or without tomato sauce) cereal, white bread with margarine (Iwoould have loved real butter) and bananas. I once saw rice fried in margarine. That's pretty much it.

Otherwise, it's only 2 blocks from the skytrain, and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Saphaipae Hostel? Share your experiences!