“Thai food the way its supposed to be” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #408 of 8,519 Restaurants in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Thai, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Bangkok, Thailand
“Thai food the way its supposed to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

This little restaurant on soi Thonglor in Bangkok is cooking traditional Thai dishes in an innovative way.. Its small friendly and the drinks are fantastic. a fun place to stop by for yummy Thia food

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Finnish first
brisbane
“Thai tapas- a great way to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Soul Food is an absolute must! Delicious plates of tasty thai to share with fan bloody tastic cocktails! The atmosphere is that of a friendly neighborhood cafe- in fact wish i had one in my neighborhood! Pomelo salad, braised beef ribs, stir fried thai flowers of some description and the most sensational coconut sorbet - real chunks of coconut:-) Make a reservation as this new little gem is very popular.

Maryland, USA
“Relax and enjoy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We had one dinner in Bangkok – so glad we chose to eat here. Tremendous food, perfect cocktails, and cool atmosphere.

Reserved (for 9pm), as others recommended, but Jarrett the owner gave us the option of eating at the bar. Good choice - we got the benefit of his cocktail and food explanations/recommendations. Best cocktails we had in Thailand: Bangkok Ba$tard (gin, bourbon, lime, etc.), Bun Bang Fai (tequila, lime, chili, etc.) and a perfectly executed whiskey sour.

And the best restaurant food we had, prepared thoughtfully (remember what that's like?) with excellent ingredients. The pork jowl slices in the Mieng Kham lettuce wraps leave you wanting more and the duck larb was furious but balanced. Another bar diner shared his chicken wings – straight up tasty. We could have kept eating all night. As it was, we closed the place.

"Thai-food-for-farangs?" "Western taste?" Maybe. I expect good food without labels and an amusing evening. Found it here.

“Brilliant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

Mostly brilliant food. Highly recommend the fish wrapped in banana (?) leaf (ordered a second round) and banana flower salad which is apparently a traditional dish which is hard to find. However, I am sure this version is a bit more on the fusion side. The beef and pork rib dishes were decent but not as great. I'd suggest sticking to other dishes.

The best Thai meal I've had in years (other than
seafood). This coming from someone who will not eat Thai in the San Francisco because it is so not Thai food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Interesting Take on Thai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

As an American from Chicago, I am always looking for creative takes on popular dishes and a place where you can feel positive vibes when you walk through the door. That is exactly what we found at Soul Food. It is in an area called thonglor-ekamai and it seems to be an area where the locals (and by locals I mean english speaking transplants) go out.

We started with the Mieng Kham. They were basically a thai take on lettuce wraps with pork jowl. My wife was a bit hesitant to try the jowl but we both loved them. I washed it down with a bangkok ba$tard. It was a cocktail with gin and bourbon blended together. I was glad to find a place that was able to do something creative with cocktails that weren't frozen. Not to say I didn't try something frozen before I left. I tried the Durian ice cream. Ok so I know this is going to sound horrible but you have to try it. It tasted like stinky cheese and onions. You'll take one bite and all you want to do is try one more.

if you are in Bangkok and tired of the same menu over and over give this place a shot. Oh yea and its not the biggest place in the world. Give them a ring ahead of time.

• Visited February 2011