“Indian with a Twist” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Dessert, Indian, Vegetarian, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
“Indian with a Twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This modern Indian restaurant serves curries with molecular gastronomy on the side-an interesting concept. On arrival we were given the degustation menu (but not advised that there was in fact an a la carte menu). Fortunately we did want to try the tasting menu that the restaurant is famous for. I also ordered a rose soda and lychee mocktail, which was delicious. We also ordered drinking water but before we knew it they'd decanted a bottle of the expensive imported Italian stuff (they should ask you first). First they bring you 4 interesting canapes (but the serving sizes were similar throughout the meal). eg; One was a delightful "egg" of spiced yoghurt, and a tiny "lamb burger" with "buns" that dissolved in the mouth, amazing. we had a menu with 9 dishes. The first was an oyster (which I don't eat) , but my partner enjoyed it. They had no problem bringing me a subtitute. Our waiter was very good at explaining what was in every dish but the service was otherwise a little too relaxed. The favours got stronger as the dishes progressed. The food all tasted delicious but the presentation could have been a bit more exciting. Many dishes just looked "beige" with a bit of cress on top. Only a handful of the dishes relied on the molecular gastronomy techniques (from what I could tell) the rest just seemed like regular indian curries (albeit nice ones). The final savoury dish was a small pepper chicken curry with a basket on nan (a bid to fill you up?). The mango dessert with silver leaf was superb but the tiny chocolate ravioli was so small it wasn't worth dirtying the plate.
I do have to say that I know it is supposed to be a tasting menu but some of the portion sizes were so tiny that you barely got the taste of the food and I am sure any man who had this would go home hungary. After finishing I could quite easily have had more and after paying $100 a head for the meal I would not expect to still be hungary. The couple on the table next to us ordered a curry from the a la carte menu (which we didn't know existed), after they finished their menu.
There are 3 set menus at B1400++, 2600++ & 4000++. We chose the second menu and frankly there were only 2 extra items on the menu so it is hard to see why it costs B1200 more than the first menu. The food is certainly interesting and tasty but grossly overpriced.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
“Not your usual curry place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

A choice of 3 sets in the menu unless you book in advance for a la carte. For the 1st timer, the sets are good eye openers... For the subsequent visits...go for a la carte. The food was terrific but its the kind of place where you only want to do it like once a year as its just a tad too fancy in what they do, that's the fancy food.

Visited April 2013
“Great experience as always”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been to gaggan since it open a while back . Due to location of my condo and gaggan I havnt gone for a year and a half !

Many changed ! In a good way

We ordered the courses 2600
Portions are small and perfect for tasting we also ordered the lobsters and lamb to share

As for Americans or bigger person I do not recommend to order tasting menu because it will b too little for u

I don't eat a lot and I like to taste
Still I wasn't full ... But I was happy with the way I felt at the end ... Usually having Indian would fill u up and feel far after

At gaggan it is light and it was fun ! Sit at chef table and asked them to open the shades so u can see the action

Hong Kong
“A surprising Indian meal...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have always wanted to try this restaurant but has been derterred by its price tag, but during my last trip, on a splur of the moment, I called the restaurant to make a reservation at 6pm for dinner at the same night. I was told they were quite full that night, and could only offered me to sit outside, I said ok, but... when I got there, 2 hours later, surprise surprise, they gave up a table inside on the 1st floor. That's what I call service!!

As I was on my own that night (my friend's flight was delayed), I figured that the best way to try the food there would be choosing the tasting menu, so there I went, starting on a gourmet journey of 7 different dishes, each as amazing as the other, and by the time I got the main course (the currry), I was already stuffed. However, the naan bread which were to go with the curry was so delicious that I had the restaurant to pack them for me to take away as my supper later, otherwise, I would not be able to fit in the delicious dessert.

Chef Gaggan came out of his kitchen during the meal to greet each table personally and asked how they enjoyed the food. One could tell from the gestures of the conversation that many of them are frequent diners here, which said a lot about this place in itself. And I told the chef that it was the most amazing Indian meal in my life, though I must admit that it's no ordinary everyday Indian meal at all.

Another surprise came when I was about to leave the restaurant, and I met the Chef himself near the exit, so I thanked him again for the excellent food I had, and wow, he offered me a kitchen tour, what an great surprise to end my dinner there. The kitchen was very neat and clean, unlike many of the kitchens at other Asian restaurants, and they even had a special little room where Chef Gaggan could experiment with new techniques and new tastes... certainly a very eye-opening experience for me!!!

• Visited January 2013
Olympic Valley, California
“Indian Fusion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great shabby chic colonial house setting( a hint of Key West) great smiles and extremely attentive staff. Food was untypical Indian. Oyster on half shell with a mustard ice cream ( amazing) food was displayed like eye candy in small tasty portions. The chef came out and described his reasonings for the unusual food parings. A dinner to be cherished. A foodie paradise.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere