“Expensive but worth it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #189 of 8,076 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Dessert, Indian, Vegetarian, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
BANGKOK
“Expensive but worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Most expensive meal I ever had but it was definitely worth it! It was a complete new experience for me and my partner.
The venue is easy to find, it is a gorgeous white wooden house that takes you away from feeling like you are in Bangkok. We arrived after dark and it was beautifully lit with candles. There is outdoor and and indoor seating and it is very romantic. Inside the romantic colonial style continues. Its gorgeous! We were seated upstairs which was not our choice as downstairs seemed more atmospheric but we had reserved late.
Reservation online was easy and they called me straight away to confirm. When we were upstairs however we noticed an outside rooftop area that looked lovely so we asked to have our pre-dinner drinks outside which was really romantic with candle light, coloured lighting and water feature.
We were very happy to be given a complimentary mini Pina colada in a strange glass vial with a piece of pineapple.
Our waitress was very friendly but also knew about all of the wines, food and drinks in detail. She was inconspicuously around ready to top up our wine when needed without being over bearing. Wine was served in a decanter to our choosing which is to be expected at a restaurant of this standard.
We ordered the vegetarian tasting menu for 1600 baht ++ This was 7 courses of HEAVEN. Very creative, inventive and flavours immaculately put together and presented. For a first visit this tasting menu was perfect as we got to experience the chefs style.

We absolutely loved our visit to Gaggan and wish I had been able to shake the chefs hand because he really is a star! Yes this price range is seriously outside of our budget but it should be, its incredible food, venue is wonderful and service great. This is somewhere we will definitely visit again but only on a VERY SPECIAL occasions.

Recommended visit whilst on holiday in Bangkok or living. I imagine the cost if this meal in London would be double and the staff not as friendly.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai
“A truly gourmet experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to Gaggan with very high expectations and the experience more than exceeded them! Between the two of us we'd went for one non vegetarian tasting menu and one vegetarian and each of the courses wethe excellent. the restaurant is is a beautifully done up colonial bungalow on Langsuan road, giving the perfect setting for a leisurely gourmet dinner. The menu is innovative to day the least, and each of the courses leave you wanting for more. Loved the truffle air, smoked salmon with a bengalli mustard twist, goan style Iberian pork, chicken tikka masala, strawberry kitkat......

A meal at Gaggan is a truly unique Experience and an absolute must do when in Bangkok.

• Visited March 2013
“Don't pretend.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If the pompous service was not building up your expectation, you may not be totally disappointed by your experience. Gaggan definitively pretends to be more that what it is. It is not remarkable for the food and the service is mediocre. Given the prices, you do not get for your money. This is not El Bulli, and do not expect much on molecular food. I will not go back and I would not recommend the place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“The food is amazing !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

A must do while in Bangkok. Go for the tasting menu and let the chefs do their thing. One of the best food experiences you will ever have.
You need to make a booking which we did online and it was all a bit messy really with late notice of not available on our first try, but don't give up it is worth the wait.
Allow at least 3 hours for the 10 course menu and be prepared to be wowed. We tried to get back in for lunch to redo our favourites a couple of days later but it was shut unfortunately.
We will definitely be booking a table every time we are in Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand
“Brilliant when it opened, with time, a little less exciting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My first experience of Gaggan, several years ago when it first opened was really quite thrilling. I remember seeing it on TV and then having to round up a friend to go and try this new "Indian molecular" place.

I love inventive food grounded in history and authentic tastes, and at the time, Gaggan was something totally new not just to Bangkok, but probably to the world, and it was great that Chef Gaggan was really excited to spread the word to all that were interested to see, taste, feel, and listen.

I still remember the menu we had that first time (like I do for other momentous meals that I have had). It started with his signature yogurt spheres, calcified/jellified balls of spiced yogurt topped with crispy thin fried papdi dough disks served on a spoon, that when bitten into and eaten in one bite would send a taste explosion into your mouth. The sensation was like eating pani puri or golgappa chaat from a street side stall in India except the tamarind water and lentils had been replaced with a burst of chaat masala spiced yogurt instead. I was hooked.

We also had an interestingly prepared foie gras- yes, foie gras at an Indian establishment! I’m not usually a fan of foie gras. I never go out of my way to order it, because I generally find it much too heavy and overwhelming, but in this case the slices were not too thick, coated in a type of isomalt sugar and blow torched, which created a beautifully crispy thin sugar shell encasing the warm creamy foie gras- the gras never even touched a pan! This was served with some dehydrated foie gras “sand” atop some raspberry couli dressed greens to cut the richness. A really lovely dish, and I was converted.

There was also a crispy deep-fried soft shell crab (yes, once again a surprise in an Indian eatery) coated in a tamarind glaze that had just the right balance of sweet, salty, sour, without being overly cloying, and a batter crust that was super crispy from an unusual flour combination that was used.

The curry dishes were very nice, but less outstanding, probably because they were expected fare, but unarguably delicious.

Then came the dessert- I seriously had my reservations about this one- we agreed to it based on concept and curiosity factor alone, but I knew that it wouldn’t really work for me. It was a dish that featured ice cream and cigarettes- how better to end a meal, if you are a smoker right? However, neither of us were. The dish made its way to our table with much fanfare in a completely smoked filled glass dome, with the dome removed only once the plate was placed in the center of the table, and the smoke billowed out, revealing what looked like vanilla ice cream. However, this was no regular vanilla ice cream, it was tobacco flavored, smoke infused ice cream. An interesting concept and wonderful tableside presentation, but frankly, I kept thinking it would have been so much nicer had the chef been more of a cherry hookah pipe smoker!

I think the chef appreciated, that we appreciated, his final effort, even though it wasn’t something we had an affinity for.

What really made the evening extraordinary for us though, was Chef Gaggan’s intricate explanations, background, and creative processes behind the dishes- he seemed truly excited to be embarking on this new adventure with his diners. As we spent nearly the whole evening engaged with the place, and ended up being the last to leave, we were invited back into the kitchen and treated to some of Chef Gaggan’s culinary experiments- techniques and “pyrotechnics” he had learned while studying with Ferran Adrià in Spain- his liquid nitrogen alcohol spheres, some homemade “limoncello”, his foamification process, his spherification process, etc, etc- it was an absolutely amazing education!!!

As with many good things, and many fond first memories, with the passage of time, it is often difficult to recapture that first time feeling. Perhaps it’s inevitable. But a recent visit showed Gaggan heading out the door and not in the kitchen- he came by and said hello, and then was off. The dishes were good that night, but only just that, not impressive, not outstanding. I wanted to share some of the dishes that I had had that first time with my family, but this time around; the foie gras was cold, the sugar shell not crispy, resulting in a dish that lacked the interesting texture and temperature combination that made it so memorable before; the fried soft shell crab had also lost its characteristic crunch; etc. We had some new curries including a shrimp and fruit one, as well as a smoke infused lamb served with the requisite glass dome opened tableside with billowing aromatic smoke. All in all the food looked and tasted delicious, but perhaps without Gaggan, it lacked the extra oompf to make it extraordinary.

Perhaps it was a one-off night when Gaggan wasn’t there, perhaps they will develop into a team that can stand alone without their leader. The ideas are there, but they still need to keep them coming, and the execution/operation needs to become more solid. It still is very good and interesting Indian cuisine, but perhaps not at the same initial level, largely because they set their own bar so high.

I would have given Gaggan a 5/5+ for the initial experience and sheer innovativeness, but things have changed- hopefully they can bring it all back.

• Visited January 2013