“New Flavours, New Delights” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #161 of 7,182 Restaurants in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian, Dessert, Vegetarian, Contemporary
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
KL
“New Flavours, New Delights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is one of two review pages for Gaggan on Tripadvisor (the other has a longer name). Odd, but not surprising, Gaggan is difficult to categorise.
You don't go to Gaggan just to eat or refuel. You go to Gaggan to be thrilled, surprised, tickled by the chef's whimsy and, if you eat the tasting menu as we did, you'll get some dishes that won't please. But damn, what an experience. The egg of yogurt? I can't tell you how weird that feels in your mouth and how delightful once you break through the soft 'shell' (not really a shell but the membrane between the shell and the white - trust me, it's amazing). The deep fried chilli stuffed with cottage cheese, more, more, more dishes, more surprises. Think you are going to go home hungry? No chance after the 'main' course of curried prawns and naan bread. You ain't never tasted a prawn curry like this. Desserts? I'm not telling yah.
It's not cheap. It's not meant to be. It's rightly regarded as one of the top 50 restaurants in Asia. Wines are top restaurant prices, but the wine drinkers tell me the cellar is extraordinary. Mocktails & cocktails are as innovative as the food menu.
Go to Gaggan, try it. Can't guarantee you'll like it. We loved it and I suspect we'll be talking about it until the next time we go - and try the main menu. Wonderful place, well worthy of every accolade.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
“Average, uninspired”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

What a massive let down. Aspiring to impress the easily led masses into thinking it is inventive, interesting and adventurous, Gaggan was just a litany of cliches and dated food concepts.

The service was average and the cuisine utterly uninspired - all at a premium price. The emperor's new clothes..

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Millbrook, United Kingdom
“If you only eat at one restaurant in Bangkok, make sure it's this one.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

On a recent visit to Bangkok, I had the pleasure to eat at his restaurant. From the warm welcome, to breathtaking desserts and all points in-between. This was without a shadow of a doubt one of the most memorable dining experiences I have ever had. I can highly recommend the tasting menu.

Seattle
“Best Meal in SE Asia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

It is odd to admit that the best meal we had during a 3-week trip to Thailand, Burma and Laos was an Indian dinner in Bangkok- but it is true. It was so good that we are still talking about it 4 weeks later!
The Gaggan restaurant is set in a lovely house with a very gracious staff. We chose to splurge on the tasting menu and it was quite a treat. The first thing we tried was something that looked like a soft boiled egg sitting in a spoon. Our waiter told us it had no egg in it. I honestly can't remember what it was but it was so good that we all swooned and our eyes rolled back in our heads. The waiter said- "many people act like that". Each dish just got better than the last- nothing was disappointing. I just wish Bangkok wasn't on the other side of the planet since I'd be a regular customer at Gaggan if I could. Don't miss it and do splurge with the tasting menu.

New York City, New York
“Wonderful Gastronomic Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had one night in Bangkok and I chose to spend it here. Overall it was an excellent decision!

The Settings: The restuarant is set in a charming little white house down a quiet soi (or alleyway). There are two levels, decorated primarily with white country style wood furniture. The lighting is bright but warm.

The Service: Admittedly some of the servers did not educate us as much about the food or seemed to have trouble with English, but there was one standout server who was always keen to tell us more about the dishes (and even gave us a second helping of the incredible yogurt starter). It was clear that this particular server was enthusiastic about his job and what the chef, Gaggan, was trying to accomplish.

The Food: We chose the 10-course tasting and were definitely full from the small plates. Though Gaggan had done some training at El Bulli, he doesn't always deploy molecular gastronomy techniques in every dish (just in a few really). What he does do is try to achieve his "progressive Indian cuisine" - and create Indian-inspired modern dishes (though there were potentially 2 or so dishes that didn't seem to take any elements from Indian cuisine). Also, one course was just straight-up Indian, complete with nice crispy naan. That came towards the end, potentially to help "fill you up" in case you were still hungry. I note some other reviewers were still hungry after the tasting menu, but for us we were both full.

The a la carte choices (mainly Indian dishes), which we did not order, looked good on an adjacent table, and I noted some Indian-Italian fused dishes on the menu as well.

There is also a vegetarian tasting menu which is equally as inspiring and delightful. It could have been priced slightly less than the non-veg tasting menu, since let's face it - vegetarian food is usually a lot cheaper. However, each dish was artfully made.

The Price: I felt I should comment on this separately since a few other reviewers complained it was overpriced. Yes, the price is high generally - and especially for Thailand, but you will find it incredibly good value compared to most other cities with fine dining establishments of this level (definitely considerably cheaper than in Hong Kong and New York, where I've lived - and I can bet much cheaper than London). Many of the ingredients are also imported and all are definitely of high quality - so for the money, it can't be beat.

Beverages: Wine is relatively pricey here, but there are a few listed under "Gaggan's Choice" that are not bad. And if you go by the glass, the pour is standard to generous.

I heartily recommend this to food lovers everywhere. Gaggan is doing some very interesting things with food and I love the creativity. Just reserve around 2 hours to enjoy the tasting.