“Hated it. Worst ever.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of New My House Guest House

New My House Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
New My House Guest House
You added New My House Guest House to your Saves list
37 Soi Chanasongkhram, Bangkok, Thailand   |
Ranked #331 of 467 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Helena, MT
“Hated it. Worst ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stayed one night at New My House Hotel because it was near Khao San Road and it was cheap. I got the last room available (Room 103). When I returned from walking around, I spotted and killed 4 red bugs that looked to me like bed bugs. When I asked the staff about it, they came to the room and said they weren't bed bugs but instead cockroaches. This aside, before the incident, I never received 1 smile from anyone in the reception. In fact, they were rude when I asked any question about anything. Forget about the bugs- I'll take bugs over rude staff anyday!

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
wien
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

try to see the room first!

we could take a glimpse of the room and decided to take it. generally speaking, it was ok. not too filthy, not too good, mosquito-safe windows, 2 beds, a good-working fan, a bathroom that was acceptable. nothing special. oh, mustn't forget that: there were no sockets at all. weird.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We have been traveling in South East Asia for four months and have stayed in over twenty guesthouses, this was BY FAR the worst place we stayed at. It was expensive, hot, the staff were unfriendly, and extras such as toilet paper and security lockers for our valuables made the price jump quickly from pricey to overpriced.

They have a rule that declares you can only access your personal valuables in the lockers from 7 am to 10 pm at night, and when we realized there were no outlets supplied in the rooms and needed our ipods which have alarm clocks to wake us, we got into a verbal altercation with the rude staff for trying to have our locker opened fifteen minutes after 10. I politely argued that not only are we paying a fee to use this locker, but it's OUR stuff that we should be able to access at any point, she rudely told us to "use our heads."

Rude staff, heinous rooms with questionable stains on the walls, lack of outlet, toilet paper and general ambiance make this a place worth avoiding like the plague.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

The epitomy of the term "sweat box", was the only place available when we arrived in the Khao San area and now we know why. By far the worst place we stayed in Asia in 6 weeks, and was surprisingly one of the most expensive! Definitely not value for money. No WIFI.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

Plus point: This was the cheapest guesthouse we stayed in for our entire trip in Thailand and it was in an excellent location for food, drinks and other guesthouses (which I recommend you try first to compare what you get for your money).

We didn't have any issue with theft like some reviews have mentioned, but we're always very careful with our valuables and we probably didn't stay long enough! All guesthouses tend to have a sign of some description telling you not to leave valuables in the room. This is just common sense. But Khao San Road in particular does have a bit of a reputation, so keep your wits about you.

I am usually very positive, but I can say nothing positive about the particular room we stayed in. They only had a fan twin-room left, at the back of the guesthouse. It was awful. It was right above the kitchen (with the extractor fan going past right outside our door) so it stank of grease and was even hotter than the average room in Bangkok. The room was like a prison-cell with no natural light. Although we had a window, it led to nowhere so it was pitch black even in the day. The bathroom had no hot water and the room wasn't very clean, but at least we had an ensuite I guess!

The beds were the worst we've slept on in Thailand - completely saggy with little in the way of bedding other than a couple of blankets (not what we needed in that heat). I woke up in the night thinking I could feel something crawling on me, and my boyfriend the next day had a new set of bites. To be fair, we don't know if this was bedbugs from the guesthouse or paranoia because the room was so disgusting - but check your room very carefully before committing.

The location was great, being close to Khao San Road, but not too close to be noisy. However, the inefficient fan in the room was so noisy that we still couldn't sleep. The local area is great and I'm sure rooms closer to the front of the guesthouse are probably a different story to mine. If you just need a room then this is a perfectly adequate option.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

you get what you pay for! we were "forced" to stay here during a recent visit to bangkok, as all of the other guest houses were full. the staff were UNfriendly. the place is noisey, esp after 1AM, when various drunken people were shouting to each other in the hallways.
the staff appears to understand english UNTIL you try to register any complaints!

the rooms are like prisoncells with a glaring flourescent light on the wall and in bathroom. could have used a fresh coat of paint and cleaning 10 years ago.
the bed was soft and not comfi and the pillows smelled bad. cleanliness was poor... througout the place. there was a loud fan noise that intermittently woke us up during the night. there are no electric plugs in the room, only out in the hallways.
do yourself a favour: DON'T STAY HERE unless you are an all-night partier and sleeping quality or cleanliness is not important to you.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
chiang mai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

This guesthouse should be called house of thieves. Any place that openly declares in a sign that "you must not leave valuables in your room or else it may stolen" sounds like an admission that the place is run by thieves. My experience: I left my bag in the lobby under their watch, and it was shopped through selectively like it was a night bazaar. I'm sure I'll see all those items being sold on khosan road next time around.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to New My House Guest House? Share your experiences!