“Best Green Chicken Curry Ever!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cooking with Poo (by Helping Hands)

Cooking with Poo (by Helping Hands)
Klong Toei Market, Bangkok, Thailand
+66 94 053 7009
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 457 Activities in Bangkok
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the most highly acclaimed Thai cooking experiences in Bangkok, Cooking with Poo is limited to 10 participants to maintain an intimate setting and includes a personal tour through the Klong Toey market to purchase ingredients for the day's menu. The class is hosted by Khun Poo, a long-time resident of the Klong Toey slum who has displayed amazing resolve despite personal difficulties. The class is practical, warm, fun, and gives a true taste of Thai culture you'll never forget.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Sydney, Australia
“Best Green Chicken Curry Ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I had a great time at the cooking school in the Klong Toei slum. Khun Poo made the whole experience a lot of fun and she clearly loves what she does. The wet market tour beforehand was an eye opener as everything from live (or skinned) frogs to a vast array of insects can be bought.
Getting to the cooking school is a bit like walking through a maze in the slum so you are definitely in the 'thick of it'! The meals we chose to cook were easy and very tasty and the green chicken curry was the best I have ever had. I can only put it down to the ingredients being fresh and the curry paste made from scratch.
It was a great way to spend a morning in a part of Bangkok I would otherwise have never walked into!

Visited March 2011

Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Teenagers give cooking class a massive thumbs up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Cooking with Poo was an absolute highlight of our (two teenage boys and their mum) week-stay in Bangkok. Poo and her lovely assistant (Nok?) picked us up in a mini bus and took us to the markets where they showed us local delicacies (hopping frogs anyone?). The we went back to Poo's kitchen in the Klong Toey slums and cooked up a storm. My teenage boys are not usually interested in cooking; they're more interested in eating. But the dishes were easy and quick to make, and delicious to eat, and the boys were really proud of their efforts. Of a three-week holiday all up, they said Cooking with Poo was the best experience of all. I just hope they'll now be more keen to cook at home! Poo was delightful - funny and engaging and it was really interesting to get a glimpse into her home and the lives of the people living in Klong Toey. We would definitely do this class again. Thank you Poo! Diana, Bondi, Australia

Visited April 2011
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“The most delicious Thai food I've had....and I made it myself.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

The Helping Hands Cooking school was a standout memory of my trip to Bangkok. Poo is a wonderful teacher. Poo's recipe's are quick and delicious and bursting with flavour. Her class is lots of fun and the market tour is amazing.

I eagerly await Poo's cookbook that is due out soon and would recommend this experience to anyone heading to Bangkok. Make sure you ask Poo about her own remarkable story, and the story of the Klong Toey Slum. The story of Klong Toey will linger like the taste of the delicious food.

Visited January 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Wonderful experience & fabulous food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

If you are interested not only in learning to cook delicious Thai food, but also want to understand what's happening in one of the largest slums in Thailand, then get to this cooking class. Not only will Khun Pooh give you an extraordinary tour of the enormous Bangkok food market, but you'll learn to cook some amazing Thai dishes. Pooh has a delightful and engaging spirit and her enthusiasm for Thai cooking is infectious. You'll learn how to shop for the right ingredients and then combine them into fabulous food. I actually prepared Phad Thai that tastes better than my favorite Thai restaurant at home in Philadelphia. My morning at this cooking school was one of the highlights of my trip to Thailand.

Visited March 2011
Hong Kong
4 attraction reviews
“Rewarding, Affordable 1/2 Day Culinary and Cultural Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

I attended a Helping Hands market tour + Thai cooking class with two other adults and found it to be the most rewarding part of our five day visit in Bangkok. The opportunity to tour a vibrant wet market (meat, seafood, fruits/vegetables) with a local is a rare treat. Our guide and instructor, Kung Poo, was engaging, knowledgeable, fun and a talented teacher. Her English is excellent and and it is very easy to communicate with her. The $1000B fee was very reasonable given the length of the experience and the food we prepared and ate. Most of all, it was fascinating to enter Klong Toei, a part of Bangkok that I would have otherwise missed, and to meet people who live and work in the neighborhood. Helping Hands is a social enterprise, which made the experience even more rewarding. Highly recommend for anyone age 10 or over. This would be difficult for smaller children (small space, hot kitchen, 4-5 hours).

Visited April 2011