“Fresh Habanero Salsa and Mexi-style Tacos!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #773 of 7,590 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Mexican, Asian, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
“Fresh Habanero Salsa and Mexi-style Tacos!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I've been a salsa addict since I was a baby. I like it hot, as long as it's fresh and the flavor is good. The first time I ate at La Monita I was hooked on the Roasted Red Tomato and Jalapeño Salsa, and the spicy Habanero Salsa. The tortilla chips are good(maybe the best in BKK), even though they are not fresh cut and fried in the restaurant.
The guacamole is good, but you have to squeeze a bit more lime on them; and if you're like me you have to add some chopped jalapeños or eat with a bit of salsa.

As far as the food, there are several good options, but my go to (often 3-5 times a week) are the pork Carnitas or Carne Asada(steak) mexi-style tacos with either grilled flour or corn tortillas. Simple but tasty; will remind you of a taco truck in the States. The fish, chicken, Chorizo and Pork Al Pastor are good as well, but I'm a steak and carnitas guy.

Other good dishes are the fajitas, the chimichanga, burritos(if that floats your boat), and even the enchiladas. But if this is your first time, stick with the Mexi or Cali style tacos.
I've heard that the Aroz a la Cubana (rice w/ egg and meat) is boring, and although they offer tortas I haven't tried.

The margaritas are more then good.

The interior design could use some work, but I usually try to sit on the sidewalk when I go, but I usually order delivery via ChefXP.

It isn't cheap, (approx. 250baht for 3 tacos) but for Americans who are Mexican addicts, this is one of the few places in Asia that holds up to the taquerias in America.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Thai first
“Tasty Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've only ever been here for lunch but it's always busy. Food is good, portions are good. Nacho fries delicious but dangerous! Only issue was I found some plastic wrapper in my food but credit to the management they didn't charge me for the item. yes I will go back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Decent Cali/Mex”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Have been here a couple of times but never reviewed the place.

Venue.
Hmmm, typical Mex colours, poooor lighting, and horrible sound in the room.Honestly there are only a handful of places I can remember being so uncomfortably bad in acoustics. If there is more than 3 tables of people talking it is dreadful to sit through your meal. Though I guess if I knock back a few shots and get in on the banter I could survive it.

Food.
Good, easy fare with decent selection, presentation is nothing to even talk about, but the flavour is there. Not the most exciting mind you, but good enough for a weekday cali/mex fill.

Drinks.
Ehh, hell no! Margarita is a cocktail I have had enough of do be eligible as a critic, and their Margarita my reade,r is not a good one in any context... But they do have a few decent Tequilas on display form time to time.

Will I go back? Yes, honestly I can't say that I won't. Most likely during the day time, when it is nice and quiet, and the lighting isn't a problem.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Good Mexican”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Cheap Mexican food good for dining out or take away. A lot of times it's hard to find authentic Mexican restaurants around the world, but they do a good job here. They also sell strong pitchers of margaritas. Right next to the BTS it's not hard to find, and a good place to stop by for lunch or dinner.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Rosa, California
“Californian Mexican brought to South East Asia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I'm glad that the owners, who returned to Thailand from living in California kept the authentic selections on the menu. We had an appitizer and two entres, they tasted great. The chips were good and the Margaritas too. So easy to find of the BTS stop and near Bumrungrad. Will visit again!

• Visited April 2013