“Special and beautiful place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Charm Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
The Old Charm Hostel
You added The Old Charm Hostel to your Saves list
334 Soi Thammasaroj | Phayathai Road, Ratchathewi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand   |
Ranked #210 of 449 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Paris, France
“Special and beautiful place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

The Old Charm Hostel is definitely an unexpected place to stay in Bangkok. You could not expect such a refined hostel right in the centre (5 min from MRT). I stayed in the Budha room, the room is simply perfect.
The noice issue has already been discussed in previous reviews. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. Since we went out quite late, it was no bother for us. The hostel is also hard to find so make sure you receive the directions from the staff before you arrive . The booking system is a pain (Paypal) and could be improved.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I love The Old Charm hostel. I would definitely stay there when I go back to Bangkok. I love everything about it - the rooms, the overall look, the ambiance, the service, the location, the price!

Service - I loved the service that Minnie gives. I love her hospitality and how she makes sure that she will give you the best service that she can. We were supposed t.o arrive at the old charm around 12 midnight already since we had a 10 pm flight. I already informed Minnie about this and she said it was no problem and she will be waiting for us to arrive. However, our flight got delayed and we arrived already at 2am. We were very touched and thankful for Minnie's kindness and hospitality since she waited for us personally! We got even more touched since she even mailed us asking if we were okay since she was already so worried (I read the email late).

Room - I love the resort-feel of the rooms. It's really comfortable especially the comforters! Contrary to what others say about the noise, it's not actually bad. In fact, I didn't mind about it even for a second. I was able to sleep soundly and comfortably once I laid on my bed. Free WIFi as well!

Comfort Room - The CR inside Buddha Suite is so big and clean! You can actually fit another bed in there. The shared CR of the By the Pond rooms are clean and nice as well.

Over all look - I love the resort-feel of the whole place. I love the small details such as the elephants, the lotus pond, the swings..

Location - location is the best. It's a 5 minute walk to the BTS, 10-15 minutes walk to MBK (there's a great money exchange store walking towards MBK), there's a nice massage parlor (clean massage) outside the soi. You can also easily call a cab or tuktuk outside the soi.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Selangor, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

1st of all, I would like to praise Minnie and her staff for their patient. As I experience a payment problem and also due to the political problem. They give us the solution and very helpful in answering our emails.
It's the love of first sight when we see this place.
It's very clean.The design is absolutly charm.
I love every corner of The Old Charm.
I will definately recommend to my friends and family.
Great Service~ Beautiful View~ Fantastic Location~

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

1st of all I want to thank Minnie, she is a good host, and also thanks to all her staff, especially Noi - he is such a friendly and helpful boy.

We were here from 2 August 2010 to 5 August 2010. We booked the Buddha Suite. all of us just LOVE the pond right in front of our room. Though it is raining season but seeing the lily pond in a rainy day is just great.

The room - clean, but it would be better if a table and a floor mat (in front of the entrance of the room) is provided to the guest :)

The toilet - never expected a guest house can provide such a big toilet and bathroom to their guest!! water heater is provided too.

The location - walking distance to Siam Discovery Center, and thereafter to MBK, Siam Square, ... if you are lazy to walk, you may take BTS, the Old Charm is 5 minutes to Ratchathewi BTS Station. Taxi and tuk tuk is always at your service too.

The unique point of this hostel is, it is actually located in the middle of Bangkok, but it is an old colonial house with quiet ambience (except at night, a pub called "The Tree House" is right in front of The Old Charm which makes some noise) ...

Sleep quality - some people says it is a bit noisy as there is a pub right in front of the guest house, well, we think that's ok, the noise of the musics are still bearable, since there is no tv in the room, listen to the free music before sleep is alright :)

special thanks to Minnie, she brought her hair dryer from her house and lent it to us, that was really thoughtful !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
deborahl2
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

The advantages in terms of ambiance, helpfulness, friendliness, interior design and location were well covered by the other reviews and we very much appreciated them. A few things to add...

The beautiful remodeling details like glass sinks, tile work, etc.

The glass-fronted rooms with excellent blackout curtains and clean design. Even a 4x more expensive room would seem grim by comparison.

The fish in the pond. My daughter loved feeding them and she's a good swimmer so I didn't worry about her falling in. Also, they keep it well-aerated so it doesn't smell.

The noise level is a dull "party down the street" sound and not bothersome but the karaoke at the restaurant behind the hotel can be heard at times most strongly in the bathroom (who cares) but also in the rooms though not as loud as even the night sounds (frogs, etc.) I think any well-located city hotel would have some noise...either traffic, elevator or people going to and from their rooms unless extremely expensive and sound-proofed (even then we have been awakened by noisy guests in the US). At least this noise is at a distance and nobody goes past the rooms.

The party scene at the bar/restaurant is a small plus if you are there with kids since we could sit our 7 year old with a laptop at a table and hang out and watch the young, hip Thai club scene. Then be home in 30 seconds! The food wasn't very good, though.

The history of the place. Minnie should play it up more. It was owned by the king and given to a doctor who helped bring modern medicine to Thailand 100 yrs ago. The doctor built the pond and greenhouses, etc. and introduced the giant lotuses. They disappeared and appeared again when the pond was renovated.

Stay there while you can!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
kuala lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Old charm hostel offers a great layout of architecture and interior design. For those who appreciates architechs and interior design, Old charm hostel is certainly the place you must check in to. It really has those nice lily pads and each and every corner of around and in the room is designed with passion and thoughts.

Aside from the nice interior and all, old charm's is located superly strategic - it's a 5mins walk to the most visited shopping complexes (siam paragon, siam square, mbk and etc) and 2 mins walk for boat ride to platinum complex where you can shop at wholesales price. 3mins walks to BTS train to reach anywhere you wish. Besides, a great massage place, local chicken rice & noodle, and coffee kiosk is just right outside, you can basically get anything at your finger tips. Like i said, superbly strategic location.

The downside with Old charm hostel is the bistro right outside the buddha suite rooms, we are very aware of the noise issue when we were researching around about old charm hostel, however, as i checked in, i really got shocked when i see how close the bistro is to the room, it's really just a glass wall apart. But, thank god, the world cup was just over, guess the noisiness level is turn down tremendously. It wasnt as bad as we imagine, but you could still hear chattering and stuff as if it's just next to you. However, hostel owner is well aware of the issue and has posted offer at a cheaper price on friday night. And i appreciate her kind act as it's beyond her control and she doing her best to make it better for the guest.

Also, Bathroom of both buddha suites are kinda like shared, you can hear guests chatters of the other room loud and clear whether you are in the bathroom or in the room.

I think overall old charm hostel is a great place, let's just hope for the bistro to move out of the place then old charm hostel would be a perfect place which i will definitely recommend to my friends.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed in the Old Charm for a week in June and early July in the "by the pond" rooms. The room itself is minimal but has everything you need, great to come back to after a full day out. The bathrooms that are shared are clean and empty most of the time so it still feels pretty private. There is definitely noise from the bar and restaurant (that you have to walk through) but if you're located in the "by the pond" rooms the noise level is fine and never kept me up. We actually have dinner in the tree house restaurant and it was a lot of fun. We did stay one night in the Buddha room and have to admit that it's pretty outrageous how loud it was. But maybe the hotel could do some cute things to make up for the noise? Like supplying earplugs? Overall, I had a good experience here. The staff were helpful and understanding. The best thing about this place is the location. If you walk just 10 minutes you're right in the middle of Siam Sqaure, also the riverboat is located only 2 minutes away and is super convenient for getting around.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Charm Hostel? Share your experiences!