“Served the purpose” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mystic Place

You added Mystic Place to your Saves list
Mystic Place
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   224/5-9, 224/11-18 Pradipat Rd | Samsennai, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400, Thailand   |
Ranked #129 of 467 Bangkok B&B and Inns
South Australia
“Served the purpose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I chose this hotel for its location. We were flying in from Kathmandu early evening and leaving on a bus to Chiang Mai the next day. So we only needed a standard hotel close to the bus terminal. The price and the location was what we wanted. The staff are very friendly. The rooms as very interesting and very large. However our room smelt very musty. I had to cover my nose to try and go to sleep. Breakfast, well we are not real fussy but we decided to only have coffee there. It served our purpose but will not return to this hotel

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Eric H, Director at Mystic Place, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Trdc,
I am glad to hear you found us friendly. We do love our guests.
I am sorry to hear that your room felt musty. We do our utmost to keep our rooms fresh.
Our apologies.
Most guests enjoy our breakfast. It is not huge but generally very fresh. We always provide choice of eggs, bacon & meats, toast, cereals, fresh fruit with arabica coffee or tea. We also provide juices and more.
Thanks again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We walked in Stayed there with 2 of my friend for 3days/2nights. The hotel staff were really friendly which made the big impact for us. We were at the top floor of the front building. My only complain is that they don't have elevators in this building so it's quite an exercise for us everytime we go down to buy something or use the computers at the lobby. Room was clean and very stylish with complimentary bottles of water, dvd player, television and personal fridge. You can opt to borrow dvd's from the concierge if you want to. Our room overlooks the Pradipat road but isn't noisy at all. There's also free wi-fi in every room, just ask for the password from the concierge.
Rooms comes with buffet breakfast plus a complimentary cup of tea or coffee. Breakfast includes a selection of breads and spreads, fried rice, eggs, sausages, bacon, some other dishes, yoghurt, cereals, milk and fruit juices. There's a toaster on the buffet table, so you can toast (or burn) your own bread.
Location of the hotel was pretty good and me and my friends really wanted to go to Chatuchak so I picked this hotel because of its proximity to the famous weekend market. They have free tuktuk ride to Chatuchak which goes on a speciafic interval. There are also several money exchange stations on the road outside the hotel (Pradipat) which offers high rates.There are also lots of food stalls that sells authentic Thai dishes this street which is very good for food tripping even during the wee hours.
Nearest MRT station is about 5 mins walk. Go to Bic C Supermarket just across the MRT station, it's this big supermarket so you'll never miss it. There are food/clothing stalls outside Big C which sells really cheap items. One cannot go wrong with bargain hunting at Bangkok. Do not forget to haggle!
Last but not the least, I would to give commendation to the lovely staff of the hotel. They are very accommodating and very easy to transact and talk to. They made our stay at Bangkok a very memorable and happy one! :)
Tip: Try an authentic Thai massage offered by the hotel. It's rather cheap and really relaxing.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Eric H, Director at Mystic Place, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear dhezabear,
What a wonderful review.
We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
You are pretty detailed in your review and I am sure that many readers will be impressed by your comments.
We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back.
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I love this place, this place is like my second home. The staffs are all friendly. The best thing about this hotel is the location. It's very near to SaparnKwai station skytrain and the underground train as well. It's also very near to the popular Jajujak market, which there's a free service TukTuk that will bringe you there every 30 minute. The rooms are all nice and unique and it's also very clean.

Mae Sot, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I chose Mystic Place by its location - close to both BTS and MRT rapid transit, and also to Phaya Tha station where my friend would be arriving from the airport on the airport connection rail line. Then the reviews confirmed the choice. As for the location - it turned out to be ideal for me, as, living in Thailand and seldom coming to Bangkok, I had to run four errands around the city. I was able to complete all of them in a single morning, using MRT and BTS. My friend, not knowing the city and knowing no Thai at all, also found the hotel without trouble. It is a 10 minute walk, or shorter tuk tuk ride (50 or 60 baht), from the Saphan Khwai BTS station. The one difficulty I had in finding the hotel, coming in a tuk tuk with my suitcase, was that the driver did not recognize the name ("place" is unpronouncable in Thai) and there was no sign for the hotel written in Thai. (Many hotels now have no sign in Thai and no Thai on their business card - it ought to be required.)

A big problem occurred when I made the online reservation a week in advance. The website used the same day's date as default, and I never saw a prompt to enter my dates. I did not notice, because I had just previously made and then canceled a reservation for the dates at another hotel. The next day I received an email message from the hotel that my visa card had been charged because I had not canceled in advance when I did not show up the previous night. Going back to the website, I saw how this had happened and sent an email message to the hotel explaining the problem with the default date on the website, and said that I still wanted to keep the reservation for the following week but did not want to have to pay twice.

Nok, from the front desk, phoned me and immediately agreed to my staying the following week without having to pay again. This struck me as extraordinary helpfulness - especially not even having to ask twice. Nok was so sweet that I looked forward to meeting her - unfortunately she was not on duty until the morning that we checked out, when I was able to thank her.

But it was only the beginning of the help we received at the hotel. It has it's own extra large tuk tuk with a driver on hand all day to shuttle guests to the BTS and MRT stations. My friend asked the front desk where he could go to see a fresh food market nearby, and the response was to ask him to hop into the Tuk Tuk and be driven there. He made another request the next day, and again was driven somewhere. . .for free. (But I think the driver should get a tip.) We also made use of the shuttle service to both the MRT and BTS stations. Finally, when we were leaving Bangkok to take the train to Sri Saket, the hotel shuttle took us to the Ban Sue railway station, one or two kilometers from the hotel (another big advantage of the location for RR travelers).

So the hotel already deserves "excellent." As for the rest - the room was clean, quiet, and delightful. We actually had a two-room suite, and the one drawback was that the air conditioning temperature could not be adjusted in the separate bedroom - it was much too cold when on. Leaving the door open between rooms did not help. So we had to turn the air conditioner off and on periodically. I certainly can handle this, but, anyway, I shall be in a single room, when I next return to Mystic Place (and will be glad to see again my friends there).

Room Tip: Actually, I think that all the rooms should be quiet - All appeared to be behind the reception, not...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Amazing rooms, crazy design, friendly staff, excellent service. Judging from the face expressions of some Japanese groups, this place is rapidly building up a good reputation!
Everything about the hotel gets high marks, but the massage next door is not so special. Never mind, lots of others in the same street.
For swimming pool I just went to a couple of other hotels nearby and used theirs. They are happy with that as they get outside guests for their coffee shops.

Room Tip: All rooms are displayed on the web and it's easy the find a few you like. Spend some time and ma...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Mystic is in a bit of a random location although it is very convenient for the JJ Market and Talad Rot Fai (Railway Market.) Basically, if you are going to Bangkok because you love the city and the energy and all that stuff, it is a wonderful place. If you are going to be close to the Grand Palace and the shopping and all that stuff, you'll find it quite inconveniently located.

Regardless, the staff is extremely friendly and the two receptionists I dealt with spoke fantastic English.

The Trash Chic room is a really ugly room. Although I love the hotel, I cannot recommend that room.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We spent 1 night here during a weekend shopping trip to Bangkok.
Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff, very cute and colourful rooms, and a really nice breakfast.
It is a fair bit of a walk to the closest BTS station (about 10mins) but the hotel offers regular and free transport to the station via their own tuk tuk.
Apart from the lovely breakfast which is included in the price they also have free Wi-fi internet.
What you get for the price certainly beats what you get with the 5 star hotel chains.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mystic Place? Share your experiences!