“Not what I expected at all” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #120 of 260 Shopping in Bangkok
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
Dublin, Ireland
21 attraction reviews
“Not what I expected at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

After a disastrous visit to the Grand Palace I decided to have a day out at the dolls museum which a travel guide said was "a bit tricky to find but well worth the visit". Got a taxi from my hotel which took approx 40 mins, we drove down a dirty laneway and arrived at a house. I got out of the taxi and went into the house, on the left hand side there was 5 ladies sitting around a table sewing dolls, I asked about the museum and one of the ladies flicked a switch and pointed to another room, I went into the other room and walked around the "museum" it took about 10 minutes, I purchased a few small items and the owner asked if I needed a taxi, I showed him the hotel address but he did not know it so I just said id go to Chinatown, the owner told me I could go and watch the dolls being made while waiting on the taxi, I went back into the room where the ladies were but none of them spoke to me and it felt awkward so I went outside and waited for the taxi. Not worth the visit at all.

Visited June 2013

Bangkok
15 attraction reviews
“Real Hand Made”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

It is special place,making Thai Dolls by real hand made.This doll is made up of highly skilled craftsman. Beige cloth were sewn together to make the arms. Cotton balls and roll to be inserted into the arm. It is not easy for a sewing fingers and five fingers. It is just part of the process, only dolls. It was very interesting and the price is very cheap. Did you try to see it. Owner speaks English very well. Oh! I forgot to tell you the another section was the musuem.

Visited August 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
48 attraction reviews
“Unique place in bangkok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This museum/shop is located in a bit hard place to find. Even tuk-tuk driver needed help to find the address. The owner of the shop is also the master who learned his art from his mother. During the visit, i made a deep conversation with him. I was informed by him that, unfortunately, his mother passed away 2 years ago. All of the dolls and figures; which project diverse faces of Thai culture and also other cultures; are hand-made. We bought a Thai girl and paid 1000 Baht! If you want to buy something like this in Europe, i can assure you that you will pay at least triple price!

Visited October 2012
North Chicago, Illinois
40 attraction reviews
“Bangkok-great place to visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We spur of the moment chose to use our time share here & had a wonderful time. The people in Thailand are so friendly & helpful. We found it easy to navigate as skytrain etc are in english. Cab drivers are a little harder but we got directions written our from our hotel. The temples, Weekend market and shopping are wonderful here. We got outside the city as well to see more of Thailand. But in Bangkok we loved all we did. I would hit all the big temples, take a trip out to the floating market and the Train market. Both were fabulous. The train market is laid across the tracks until train comes, they have less than 3 minutes to get everything up off the tracks...as soon as it goes by it is business as usual, back on the tracks. Amazing. The Jim Thompson silk house was nice and we found the outlet as well. I loved bangkok but would def recommend you go to the countryside as well along with some beach time in Phuket if possible.

Visited June 2011