“An excellent place to stay for business or pleasure.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor Bangkok

You added Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor Bangkok to your Saves list
Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor Bangkok
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   115 Sukhumvit 55 (Thonglor) Sukhumvit Road, Klongton Nua | Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Family Moments Package
Ranked #111 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
UK
“An excellent place to stay for business or pleasure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

My husband and I had stayed here in April 2010 and found management exceedingly helpful when we were stranded by the 'ash cloud' situation. They gave us an excellent discount for the same level of apartment and staff were very attentive. So when we returned in March 2011, this was the natural choice. We were delighted to be upgraded to a one bedroom apartment, very spacious and well maintained, still very fresh in appearance.
Mostly used by Japanese business men, not suitable for families, but we like the sense of peace and do not miss the different atmosphere of a more tourist based hotel. Two more restaurants have been opened at the front and we found the Orient very pleasant. Tops supermarket across the road is very handy. Also near to Thonglor Skytrain station and the tuk tuk will take you there. Reception staff appear to have had English lessons since our last visit, a very big help.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

I liked the stay at Somerset a lot. This is not really a hotel, the Somersets main business is serviced appartments so there are quite a lot of long term people staying. Consequently your room will have amentities like a fridge and a washing machine which is very helpful. Also the gym and pool are good. Staff was very friendly. Most customers are Japanese, so the breakfast buffet has its focus on Miso etc. however also westerners will find their scrambled eggs, bacon, bread, coffee etc.
What should be mentioned is that the location in Thonglor is very nice, its an expat part of Bangkok making the restaurants in that area depend on people who will come back instead of the one-time visiting tourists. However Thonglor district is a bit away from the tourist spots so be prepared for some extra taxi rides etc.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Stayed here in September 2010. Located in Soi 55 it is about a 300 meter walk from the main sukhumvit road.. the hotel room is very good, it has a balcony, a flat screen tv, a ipod holder, a dvd player and a small kitchen as well! it has a small sitting area and the bathroom is of a good size. The service was very good and everything was clean. the pool area is fabulous with an infinity pool. anytime you need a taxi the hotel has it there for you in 2 minutes.. free wifi was included..
It seems like a new hotel and is more of a business hotel. cant comment on breakfast as I didnt have it but my friend said it was really good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Northern ID
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed during the soft opening and was treated like a princess. Rooms have every feature you can think of, lots of natural light, good back out curtains, fancy-shmancy bath....you name it.
Across the street is a grocery store, 24hr burger king. The hotel tuk tuk gets you to BTS in 5 secs and happily took me all the way to Samitivej on Soi 49. I saved on taxi fares even!

I'd love to live here long term.... Check out the rates on the company site as they often beat discount websites!

Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor is a new serviced residence (opened in 2010) that offers modern apartments that are equipped with all the right amenities to make a very comfortable and convenient stay. Located along a safe and peaceful neighbourhood along the bustling Sukhumvit stretch, the residence provides a great accommodation to rest and relax after a long day of exploration in Bangkok.

Upon check-in, we were greeted by friendly staff that quickly settled the administrative process. I asked about some of the local spots to visit and they were fast to provide their recommendation - great for those in need of some local knowledge to experience the city. The fact that this is a serviced residence means that human traffic is significantly less than that of a hotel. This is great by me, because I get more attention from the staff, while avoid large crowds.

The apartment was a spacious studio executive, which comfortably housed 2 occupants. Nicely furnished and very well lit, I instantly felt at home in the apartment. I immediately set about checking out the amenities in the apartment. There was a washing machine with dryer, stove, microwave oven and huge refrigerator - all very handy for long stays in Bangkok. The bed was soft and comfortable and provided very good rest in the air-conditioned apartment. The bathroom was very nicely done, with a large bathtub and sleek counter top.

Outside the unit, there is a great infinity lap swimming pool on the 9th storey that overlooks the Thonglor district. Being a person that enjoys his swim, I truly loved the pool at Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor. Also located on this floor is an in-house Japanese restaurant that doubles up as the breakfast area, which is complementary and served daily. The gym and steam room are other facilities here that will satisfy those seeking some healthy activities to partake in while on travel.

Although the serviced residence is located slightly away from the main districts in Bangkok, it is actually a very nice area with good facilities in the vicinity. The Thonglor BTS Skytrain Station is about 10 minute's stroll from the apartment. There is also a free tuk tuk service that transport residents from the apartment to nearby areas. I hired a cab most of the time, because fares are truly cheap in Bangkok.

Directly across the apartment, there is a nice supermarket that opens till 11:40pm daily. There is also a 24-hour Burger King joint amidst numerous fine dining establishments. Further down the street, you will be greeted by more restaurants that offer Italian, Japanese and Korean cuisine. A short walk away is the Asia Herb Association, which offers good Thai massage at a competitive price, despite the lush ambience.

In summary, Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor provides an excellent accommodation in Bangkok for those who are looking to experience the bustling city, but from the safety and comforts of the Thonglor district. I will definitely return again the next time I visit Bangkok!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

If you have any other reviews I have written you will realize that I am the ‘value guy’ I’m into value for money and ‘bundling’ all services included in the one cost. My pet hate is having to pay for basic services like breakfast and Internet. The Somerset Thonglor has bundled all that and much more. This is a great value Serviced Apartment Hotel in a funky, safe part of Bangkok.

30 years ago I broke my nose playing football and I have had minor breathing issues since. I decided Bangkok was the place I was going to get it ‘fixed’ and I chose the Somerset because it is located on the same road as my Doctor’s clinic and near the Hospital they used for my procedure. After looking at the Somerset website I realized not only was the location perfect the Somerset represented ‘great’ value for money. Now I will say at this point that what I paid Thai 2,000 plus tax per night was the opening special. Even if you are paying 50% more than this the Somerset has much more than anything you will find for this price.

I have one issue with this property, and I will add they are working on it I am sure. There is a very nasty smell in the Lobby, sewerage nasty, which they are managing with oil burners but they aren’t cutting it. My guess is some pipe has broken under the building and hopefully for them they get this sorted out. Needless to say, I moved very quickly through the lobby to the elevators when I needed to go there.

My room on the 17th floor was 40sqm in size which is huge for a standard room. The room was fully equipped with a kitchen including a washing machine and dryer, microwave, fridge, toaster, kettle and plates and cutlery. The room was open, bright and very, very comfortable. There was a sofa, huge comfortable bed and a great Sony entertainment system and a 42” flat screen TV mounted on the wall with a 27 channel cable selection.

My room had a work station desk with free wifi and, smartly located power points and desk light. There has been a lot of thought put into the design of this room. There is plenty of hanging space and draws for clothing. There is a modern, easy to use safe and the bathroom will satisfy even the pickiest person. There are many different light configurations and this is just in the bathroom, great, deep bath and a number of different nozzles you can use to shower with.

The light timber flooring and furniture with the high ceilings gives this room a very fresh, modern feel. I loved it and it was perfect for me to recover from my nose operation.
The staff overextended themselves and brought my breakfast to my room when I didn’t want to be seen in public with my black and puffy eyes, something that I was very appreciative of.

Once I ventured out, I went to the 9th floor where there is a beautiful large infinity pool, very nice restaurant and a fully equipped gym (4 treadmills) and several other machines which would satisfy even the most hardcore gym junkie.

The buffet breakfast has a good selection of western and Asian dishes and there is an ‘egg guy’ who’ll do eggs any style for you. I am a cereal guy and they only offered corn flakes so I went over the road to the local supermarket and brought some muesli, there was no issues with me bringing my own.

Honestly this has been one of the nicest places I have stayed in my quite some time and if you are unfamiliar with Bangkok, this area Thonglor is great. Don’t be sucked into thinking Sukhumvit 23 is where it is at because it is NOT, Sukhumvit 55 and that area beats it hands down. Thonglor has much, much more to offer, great clubs and restaurants, no crappy markets and I didn’t get hassled in the street at all. This is ‘the’ place to be in Bangkok and the Somerset Thonglor (new at the time of writing March 2010) is a great place to base yourself for your Bangkok visit (or surgery). If you are concerned with security, there is very, very good security here with guards on the driveway and without a room key you can’t get anywhere in the building. Even the pizza delivery guy was escorted to my room by the security. Very good service.

The Somerset has a ‘tuk tuk’, open three wheel car and they can drop you at local areas like the train station for free, They even took me to my Doctor’s clinic and picked me up, this I might add was very handy.

I will definitely be staying here again and I can highly recommend the Somerset Thonglor Serviced Apartment Hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Somerset Sukhumvit Thonglor Bangkok? Share your experiences!