“Disappointed with Trader Vic's, Bangkok” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue, Caribbean, Polynesian, Pacific Rim
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Pattaya, Thailand
“Disappointed with Trader Vic's, Bangkok”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I had previously dined at Trader Vic's in Bangkok on several occasions over the past 6 - 7 years. Prior to my most recent experience on Saturday evening January 5, 2014 I was always exceptionally satisfied with everything they offered. Their previously outstanding barbecued spare ribs with the finest sauce you can imagine is no longer offered. Their once fabulous barbecued spare ribs are now served with a very disappointing poor tasting overly salty flavored "fake" sauce. I found the service offered to be lacking. Very unusually long wait for the items we ordered. The once famous Mai Thais were not the ones that we ordered. Poor bar-tending. Needless to say I will opt for another restaurant to dine at when in Bangkok.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Thorsten K, Manager at Trader Vic's, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent visit to Trader Vic’s and your constructive feedback. I noted your comments regarding the ribs, service time and Mai Tai cocktails, which did not exceed your expectations and is certainly the opposite of what our Trader Vic’s team, is striving to achieve. I would like to assure you that your comments regarding the food quality have been taken into account and are validated against the original Trader Vic’s recipes.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful feedback and please feel free to discuss your recent experience personally and I am more than happy to be contacted under tkratschmer@anantara.com.

• Thai first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good food, live Spanish band, go for the Mai Tai cocktails”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Tried Mai Tai for the first and simply loved it. The food was good, service is nice and the live band was awesome. If you are living in Anantara Riverside, this one is a must-go.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“Still Pleasant and Original”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Enjoyed going to Trader Vic's enormously. Still pleasant and original after all these years. It was the second time for us at Trader Vic's Bangkok. Previously, decades ago, I visited the Trader Vic's in Encino, London, and Tokyo. Thoroughly enjoyed the interesting drinks and rather strange food on the menu every single time.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very good dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Though I have been to other Trader Vic's restaurants, this was my first visit to Anantara Riverside.

Overall I liked it. The cocktails were very good. The wine list is limited and they didn't have the Chilan red that I asked for though the French second choice was probably better.

There was also a rather limited menu but that didn't matter as there was enough choice and we were both very happy with what we got. The Hawaiian pork dish was particularly well done.

The atmosphere was nice though perhaps not quite as exotic as the other Trader Vic's I have been to, though of course it was pleasant being on the riverside. The band was excellent and we stayed after dinner for a couple more coktails to listen to them.

I will go back - probably for their Christmas Eve special dinner.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thorsten K, Manager at Trader Vic's, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback and recent visit at Trader Vic’s.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit and food in general and would like to apologize that your first choice of wine was not available. I would be more than happy to make the booking arrangement for your next visit personally and please do not hesitate to contact me on tkratschmer@anantara.com.

Once more thanking you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor and looking forward to welcoming you back.

bromma
“ullaoarne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Best Sunday brunch in Bangkok! Best we ever had ! Seafood , sushi, thai , BBQ , cheesees
and dessert ! Good wines and bubble! We really recommend it !

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thorsten K, Manager at Trader Vic's, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for your visit at Trader Vic’s and we highly appreciated the time you took to share about your recent experience. We are glad you liked and enjoyed all services offered and looking forward to welcoming you back soon, here at our Sunday's Brunch.