“"Couldn't have asked for more"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ariyasomvilla

You added Ariyasomvilla to your Saves list
Ariyasomvilla
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65 Sukhumvit Soi 1 | Khlong Toei Nuea, Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 764 Hotels in Bangkok
Doha, Qatar
“"Couldn't have asked for more"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was our first time visiting Bangkok, and staying at Ariyasomvilla really made it a special experience. We have two young children and the room size was fantastic for the four of us. The hotel is beautifully decorated and so relaxing, amongst the hussle and bussle of Bangkok!!
The staff couldn't have been more helpful, always ready to help in any way.
We chose the 3 night break and included in this was a massage and a meal for two. The meal was delightful and there was a good choice for the children too.
Its a big thing to recommend a hotel, but I without a doubt would say this is the place to go if ever you are visiting Bangkok.

Room Tip: We had a suite with a blacony overlooking the river, and it was very roomy and just perfect.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Ariyasom Villa is the perfect getaway in Bangkok and a wonderful place to relax.

Extremely comfy rooms and lovely bathrooms. How often haven´t you seen hotel websites depicting candles lit by the bathtub, but found nothing of the sort in real life? Well, at Ariyasom Villa everything is like in the pictures - including the lit candle by the bath and the fruit platter upon arrival. That is the kind of tiny, non costly details I like and that sometimes can make a true difference.

The facilities are nicely decorated and staff is friendly and helpful. The woman who manages the restaurant is particularly professional.

The pool is very much appreciated in a city like Bangkok. With salty water - a nice touch!

We booked a three nights package that included a (generous and tasty) dinner and massage. I am sure we will return to Ariysom Villa. It is certainly more expensive than many other Bangkok hotels, but compared to European prices it is excellent value for money. And SO much more charming than a big/chain hotel.

If you want to indulge, look no further!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brindisi di Montagna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights, liked it a lot, the kind of boutique hotel I enjoy when on vacations. Personal touch, spotless clean, good sized bedrooms. Location is not the best but it is still convenienty near the skytrain. Tad overpriced maybe, but all in all a very nice place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Me and my 2 teenage girls spent 3 great days in this great hotel- home away from home..
I came with high expectations after reading all the comments and seeing the pictures in the tripadvisor and and still I was surprised. It was better then expected. Our room, as well as all public areas, were beautifully decorated. David the owner was especially friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant was pure joy.
The hotel is located just 5 minutes walk to the sky train but we enjoyed most the longtail boats that can be taken from the canal just behind the hotel avoiding the traffic and travelling like locals.
I would defiantly choose this hotel again on my next visit to Bankok

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights on my way home from Koh Samui. It is every bit as good as the reviews suggest. Like others I wondered where I was going when the taxi took me down the road but have no fear when you arrive it is worth it! I had a studio room which was very comfortable and clean. A plate of fruit in the room was very welcome. The hotel has an excellent swimming pool which I used at the end of the day to relax. The food here is very good. David, the owner, arranged for a table in the restaurant for me and advised me on the menu. The sea bass and curry he recommended was excellent. It was finished off with the famous chocolate tart - hmmmmm. My only gripe whilst there was that the WiFi wouldn't work in my room on the second evening. I reported it to reception and they came and tried to put it right without success so offered to check me in for my flight at reception. As always the staff were helpful and attentive. The hotel is an easy walk to the skytrain and I found that excellent and used it most of the time to get around. It takes you to the river terminal where you can get a boat to the main attractions. The Royal Palace is a definite must to see. Thank you David for a truly wonderful stay at your hotel - I'll be back next time I am in Bangkok.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Leiden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Deservedly the no 1 in Bangkok; we were there twice last month and received the most wonderful service from David, his wife and all the staff; great facilities (restaurant, bar, pool and hotel facilities) and location - seriously recommended!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Danville, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

All of the prior reviews are accurate in that this is a lovely hotel "oasis" in the middle of crazy Bangkok. Although we had a standard room, it was large and more than adequate for our five night stay. The owner/manager David, is a real hands-on manager who is helpful and friendly and kind of picks up the pieces when the staffing slides. The other extremely helpful staff member was the office manager who went beyond the call of duty to assist us in many ways. The vegetarian restaurant was excellent.

This would probably have been a fine location for a two night stay. But the mosquito issue is significant, which didn't allow us to enjoy the pool area after the first day when my husband and I were bitten many times. During a so-so massage, I was also bitten on the face several times. Although we discussed the issue with David, he is against the concept of spraying and instead has fans near the outdoors restaurant and citronella candles burning, neither of which adequately address the problem. After 2 different sprayings in our room(which I said was not an option), we were at least pest-free there.

The second significant issue is its remote location. While, during the day it's no problem walking to the sky train a couple of blocks away, it is more difficult at night walking in the dark. Taxis are very hard to come by (our one evening out required a lot of effort by the hotel staff to find a cab 1 hour later. Coming home required us to navigate for the taxi driver. Even then, we had to switch cabs at a nearby Marriott hotel when it was obvious he didn't have a clue where the hotel was, which is located at the very end of a very narrow street). This really discouraged us from going out in the evening after that and exploring the night life.

We therefore ended up coming back from an exhausting day of sightseeing at around 4 p.m. We then ended up spending the entire evening in our room, except for a short respite when we had dinner in their restaurant, which was really very good, even though vegetarian.

I hate giving such a negative review when the hotel was so helpful, but I really felt that this was one of the few times that trip advisor colleagues really let me down in their evaluation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
davidlees, Owner at Ariyasomvilla, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear TravelguruDanville,

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that a couple of issues marred your stay with us.

Mosquitos are a fact of life in the tropics but in reality we don’t have that many. Every night we serve dinner by the pool and with fans and citronella spray - we have very few complaints. I really do have an issue with chemical sprays and try hard to avoid them. I’d rather have the odd mosquito bite than be seriously poisoned by harmful chemicals.

As regards our location, we are right in the centre of town. The hotel is located on a side road 500 metres from the main Sukhumvit Road – hardly remote. We are just about 600 metres from Ploenchit skytrain station (E2).

Taxis in Bamgkok are an issue. Drivers don’t have to take any particular test to become taxi drivers and consequently are far from professional. The other issue is that taxis have had no increase in fare for more than 10 years – consequently they are always looking for ways to earn extra income ( They want to negotiate the fare rather than use the metre).

I would say that our side road is very safe to walk up and down at any time of night and day. The best hospital in South East Asia – Bumrungrad is located in the same road – most people on the road are connected to the hospital. I’ve lived in the road for 21 years and have yet to hear of any incident. Perhaps this is not the case in other countries around the world and a walk down a side street at night might not be contemplated in those places – but is perfectly safe here. I don’t think you need to be an intrepid traveller to stay in Sukhumvit Soi 1. It’s a pity to let misconceptions interrupt your trip.

I’m just sorry that you didn’t fully enjoy your stay with us. I’ll renew my efforts to deal with the mosquitos but without harmful chemicals.

Many thanks and best regards

David

Been to Ariyasomvilla? Share your experiences!