“Functional (but not more)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Citadines Sukhumvit 16 Bangkok

Save Saved
You added Citadines Sukhumvit 16 Bangkok to your Saves list
Citadines Sukhumvit 16 Bangkok
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   38 Sukhumvit Soi 16, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110, Thailand   |
Ranked #169 of 754 hotels in Bangkok
London, United Kingdom
“Functional (but not more)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The property is an "apart-hotel" style accommodation in a very good location in central Bangkok.

Rooms are functional (and include a kitchenette and separate bedroom and living room areas) and services somewhat limited. Good if you are on a relatively tight budget or are planning a longer stay and want to avoid classic hotel accomodation

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sasiwimon23, Manager at Citadines Sukhumvit 16 Bangkok, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear EIBar72,

Greetings from Citadines Sukhumvit 16 Bangkok!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and our service standards met your expectations. Receiving such positive feedback from our residents certainly motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service.

We trust, you had a pleasant trip home and look forward to have another opportunity of welcoming you to Citadines Sukhumvit 16 Bangkok soon.

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is my third stay at Citadines Sukhimvit 16, and I am sure it will not be the last! Much has changed since my last visit. Terminal 21 is a huge shopping mall which has sprung up next to Asok BTS station, and it is so convenient to get to from the hotel. You have banks, nice food stalls and your usual spiel of brands in the mall. The 24-hour Foodland supermarket is still thriving, and I've spent many coins there buying local produce and beer. I've stayed in many serviced apartments in Bangkok, and this has always been the best in terms of location. The TV channels were awesome too, with AXN and Fox Movie Premium vying for evening airtime. I caught Spiderman 2, Men in Black, and a host of crime thrillers (CSI rocks!).

Apart from Foodland and Terminal 21, its about 5mins easy walk from Asok BTS station, which is also an interchange station with MRT. It is about 6-7 stations from the famous MBK Mall, and is along the route to Chatuchak market (Mo Chit station).

To get to Citadines Sukhumvit 16, exit at the gate which says Exchange Tower, walk towards the building (you cannot miss the super huge True Fitness logo hung from the building), and walk down from the skybridge onto the main road. Walk in the same direction as the traffic, with Exchange Tower on your left. Turn left into the first small street you see, and you will be able to spot the orange building that is Citadines Sukhumvit 16. (As a sidenote, the spring rolls which were hawked by a roadside vendor was heavenly.... I threw some caution to the wind on my last day in BKK, and bought a box home for THB40. I nuked it in the microwave back at the apartment and had a very sinfully delicious snack. I did not suffer any food poisoning, but I would be cautious if you have a sensitive digestive system).

This trip was saved from a sad ending, as a result of an honest cleaning staff. I thought my husband and I checked the room for any missing item, but I actually left my new Samsung Galaxy S4 mobile phone on the bed hidden under the pillow. I am thankful the staff passed my phone to reception, who passed it back to me when I returned to collect my luggage in the late afternoon to catch my late flight back home. As a result of his or her honest act, I was saved alot of nagging from the husband, the pain of having to spend a bomb on another phone, and the torture of trying to restore contacts and build a new stash of photos/ memories of everyday.

Some tips for an enjoyable stay - request NOT to stay on Level 2 (its the level where breakfast is served and it may get annoying to hear so many people walk by the corridor, even if there is a glass door separating the rooms from the dining room). I asked for additional pillows too in case you are used to hugging pillows to sleep like I do. Breakfast is blah and nothing to crow about, but I was not there for the food. Cereal, bread, fried rice, fried vegetables, chicken, simple soup, bacon, sausages are the usual spread.

Room Tip: Do not stay on Level 2 - food is served at this level and all guests come to this floor if they want...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kokonuk,

Greetings from Citadines Sukhumvit 16 Bangkok!

We wish to thank you for your recent patronage and the feedback through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and our service standards met your expectations, especially from Ms. Ning, our Room Attendant who shown her integrity to return your valuable items that she found during daily cleaning services. We will certainly convey your commendation to her. Receiving such positive feedback from our residents certainly motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service.

Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked this hotel due to its location. About 5 minutes walk to Asoke BTS Station and Foodland supermarket, which makes it convenient to you to buy stuffs.

The booking process was smooth, after a series of emails. I managed a booking plus a guarantee of an extra bed. Check in was cool. Since we arrived early, the room was not ready yet for us. We had to leave our luggage and came back at 12 nn and our room was ok.

The room is a typical condo unit set-up. Upon entering you will see kitchen area going to a bathroom. and on the left part is the small living area converted to a room with the extra bed. And a partition where the double bed is. They happened to give us the corner room which gave us a very good view of the city, where you get to see the buildings, BTS station from our view which we liked very much.

The daily housekeeper made sure we went back to a very clean room after a day tour during our stay. The staff are friendly and will always facilitate your request. I even had our itinerary of travel printed for us at no extra charge. And even delivered the document in our room. That is a good service. :)

Breakfast and dinner. No problem. Coffee Alley it is just stone's throw away from Citadines 16.
Good food too. Serve typical breakfast menu. Ham/waffle/egg/bacon/sausage/sandwich and other menu being served.

Check out was efficient. The fastest check out process I encountered in my travel experiences. :)

We had a great stay with them. I can say that the 5days 4 nights stay with them was cool. Some glitches about the access cards given but the concern were addressed promptly.

I'll recommend this hotel to anybody who will visit in Bangkok. :)

Room Tip: choose 507 room. Cool window view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Melanie R,

Greetings from Citadines Sukhumvit 16 Bangkok!

We wish to thank you for your recent patronage and the feedback through TripAdvisore.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and our service standards met your expectations, Receiving such positive feedback from our residents certainly motivates us to further improve our commitment to delivering good service.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Very nice, clean and modern room with a sliding partition between living and bedroom area and a quite well equipped small kitchen. Comfortable bed. Friendly and helpful reception staff although not everyone had good knowledge of English. Fantastic location very close to the BTS and the MRT and a Foodland supermarket a few steps away. The only drawback in my room was the location of the clothes cupboard, which was in the middle of the window front, thereby considerably reducing the window size. For the next visit I would choose another room with a different layout.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't have the cupboard in the middle of the window front if you value...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Check in/out was efficient with no issues.

Room was clean, comfortable and had a good bed. Location is great being close to bts Asoke and other shops and resturants. Foodland grocery store is very close so you can stock up with supplies for the kitchen if you want to eat in your suite.

Staff were friendly and helpful. There is a mac computer in the lobby for those requiring internet access if you don't have a your device.

Pool area was small but adequate for cooling off from the heat.

My main complaint was the AC. The fan speed couldn't be adjusted to low so this meant it was always on high. It made too much noise at night which affected my sleeping. The maintenance guys tried to resolve but ultimately gave up as it wasn't possible to fix. I ended up turning off the AC at night which made for a warm room by morning. This was the first time I've ever stayed at a hotel that didn't have multiple fan speeds for AC.

Would recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Great Value for money. it was a good location, close to the train station. Rooms are not too bad for the price. Towels are limited and the bed is quite hard. Reception is friendly. The little kitchen would have been great for families.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The location is not bad - it is just off Sukhumvit behind Exchange Tower. Walking from the hotel to Asok BTS / Terminal 21 takes about 10 min at a leisurely pace. Soi Cowboy is in a way just across the road (same time as Asok BTS).

Food is a problem. This place has no restaurants. So if you land up after 9 PM then you either have to go out to eat (Terminal 21 / Sukhumvit) or you have to order food in. Till 9 PM there is some basic room service available (club sandwich / green curry, etc.). On Soi 16, just next door to the hotel is a Foodland and above that there is a Japanese restaurant. A little bit further down the road there is a Korean restaurant beside a massage joint. If you keep walking further down the Soi then you will come across 2 other restaurants - an Italian joint and a Thai one. Other than this there is nothing else.

The room I stayed in a was a suite. It was pretty small in size although it did have a separate bedroom and living room area. Both were small but the living was especially disappointing. You sit in front of the TV and that means you are literally in front - about 3 feet from the TV. There is a small writing table just beside the sofa. A fully equipped open kitchen is present but no dining table.

The bed is ok and I had good sleep quality. THere is however, no telephone and no TV in the bedroom. So in case you have requested a wake up call then you really need to wake up, get out of bed, walk out of the bedroom and go and answer the call in the living area. not that this is a huge distance away - just about 10 to 15 paces. There is a cupboard in the bedroom but not enough space to keep your suitcase. If you do that then there will a bit of a space crunch in the room.

The WC and the shower are separate. The former is quite small and claustrophobic if you close the door. The latter has a bathtub but not a separate shower cubicle. It is quite small also in size - the tub, the sink and you and there is no room for anything else in there. Liquid soap dispensers in the shower only. Towels could have been far better.

The corridors of the floor areas would not be out of place in a communist era soviet republic - very bare and no natural light.

Breakfast facility exists - but very basic offering - fried rice, local meat or fish dish, chicken sausage, bacon strips, local soup, cereals, basic bread collection, some fresh fruit and canned juices, milk, tea, coffee, butter and jam. Oh there is also eggs on order. Not bad at all if you are not very fussy. I quite liked it.

Check-in and out was very smooth. Staff were very friendly and attentive. The place is neat and clean. Overall, a very average place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Citadines Sukhumvit 16 Bangkok? Share your experiences!