“A perversion of Nouvelle Cuisine” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 stars 168 Reviews
Cuisines: European, Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: At Mezzaluna, Twin Chefs Thomas and Mathias Sühringoffer a rendition of modern European cuisine with subtle Asian flavors.We use only the best seasonal products purchased from local and international growers and artisanal producers.Our priority is to cultivate relationships with growers committed to organic, natural farming methods.We use contemporary kitchen appliances to craft our dishes with attention to natural flavors and textures. We do our own smoking, pickling, drying, curing, grillingand cook with our home-made herbal oils, vinegars, bouillons and liquid extracts from fruits and vegetables, components we believe offer significant health benefits.The seasonally-inspired tasting menu is re-designed each day. Every course has a story and we trust that your meal tonight, along with our restaurant’s beautiful ambience and stunning views, helps you create new ones of your own.
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“A perversion of Nouvelle Cuisine”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

As many other reviewers have mentioned, the view and the service are fabulous at Mezzaluna. I can't really review the food or wine because even though my wife and I spent close to $700.00, we never really were served food or wine of any substance. We ordered the six course tasting menu and what we received was a series of large plates conservatively swirled with a rich sauce and speckled with microscopic pieces of vegetable and nibble-sized pieces of seafood. Mezzaluna is very generous with its bread because they probably don't want their customers passing out from hunger. The wine pairings for each course were expertly chosen and each wine was of a high caliber. However, their decision to pour a thimble full of wine for each course was slightly off-putting. By the sixth course my wife and I had probably received a normal glass of wine in total. The main course was slightly more substantial than the previous courses, but not substantial enough to justify the astronomical prices. The dessert course was also almost adequate, but if you don't have a sweet tooth you are not consoled. My wife and I are not novices in the dining game, and we have had tasting menus before. Mezzaluna so literally interprets the word "tasting" in its menu that when you are finished with your meal you feel slightly ripped off. My advice: Go to the Sky Bar. Pay your $30.00 for two drinks. Take in the spectacular views. Rub elbows with the children and grandchildren of Thailand's industrialists. Then go back down to Bangkok and grab a good meal elsewhere.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hard to be objective here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We booked the sirocco restaurant off the back of the hangover movie but think very hard before you book this restaurant. Of course the weather cannot be controlled however they know this and use it unfairly by asking for credit card details at booking and 48 hours notice to cancel. So if you want the sirocco and the weather is bad you will get the mezzaluna. We feel that being basically forced to take another option detracts from what was not a bad place to eat. However when you have been put in a restaurant you don't want and the food is overpriced it really stings. Yes you get a glass of house champagne but we could've got that anywhere in Bangkok.

The food was creative, although at times a little to much so with too many flavours, but it was overpriced for the taster menu. We have eaten at many Michelin star restaurants and not averse to paying for quality at all but when you are not given the options to cancel a service they can't provide you do feel a little mythed and somehow it does affect how you feel about the food. We kept thinking "we wanted to sit outside in the sirocco yet we have been forced into this option"

The food was good in general but not overall exceptional. The wagu beef however was superb and the desserts very creative and tasty.

I was presented with a cake for my birthday which was a nice touch and as others have said the service was attentive.

We didn't hate this place but I feel their system of booking that fundamentally forces you to gamble on the weather and to attend or you get charged anyway should not be the way a restaurant aiming to be high class should act, especially when it wasn't the place you wanted to sit anyway!!

Perth, Australia
“Difficult to Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I dined here with 3 of my girlfriends, while staying at the LeBua hotel. We loved the atmosphere, the food presentation & taste, and the incredibly well trained & attentive staff. Our golf game took longer than we thought it would, so our dinner was late, 9pm on a Tuesday. When we arrived, there were some customers finishing up their meal, but by the time we were done, we were all alone.

We quickly were disappointed when we realized that we only had a set menu to choose from. The food was good, but our little party group was not into the fusion or "modern cooking techniques". When we made the reservation with the LeBua concierge, we should have been told of the set menu.

We ordered a bottle of fantastic wine, poured into incredible goblets. The view was brilliant.

...but
While dining, we watched the staff strip down all the other tables and we could hear the kitchen staff banging away with the wash-up. Groups of people were being paraded through the dining room - tour groups? It was all very odd. We all thought it was a very expensive, disappointing, odd dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Overwhelmingly Expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I made my reservation by the website and I had no idea how expensive would it be, especially in a country like Thailand. Yet the view and the live orchestra are nice, be sure you will pay every penny for it.
The service is OK at best, since the description of the dishes are made very fast, and in a noisy atmosphere from some Thai taff that speaks english with a very strong, almost incomprehensible accent. You kinda pick some key words and guess the rest.
Every plate in the 6-course menu I ordered was extremely small, and generally made with very simple ingredients, far from the 3 stars Michelin the restaurant claims to be part of. The chocolate dessert, especially, looks like a mess, mounted by a 5 year-old child.
If the 6 -course menu is already expensive for what if offers (USD 191), wait to see the wine list - the most expensive ever. Take for example Marques de Riscal Reserva 2006. A wine that is $20 in the store, usually $80 in restaurants is $250 in Mezzaluna! What are they thinking? I end up buying a mediocre 10-dollars wine for $150. What else could I have done? My bill was already in the $500's!!!
In conclusion, be prepared to spend USD 600 for nothing more than an OK meal, drinking a mediocre wine.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Milan, Italy
“Fantastic dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

loved the view, the service and the excellent food and cocktails. Nothing really beats this, but it comes at a price as even for European standards it's a bit on the deer side/\.

Visited August 2012