“Our favorite in Bangkok” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #153 of 7,182 Restaurants in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: basil is an award-winning Thai restaurant serving the finest authentic cuisine in a sophisticated setting. Diners can enjoy the exquisite flavors of traditional dishes made from fresh ingredients and presented with creative flair.
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Our favorite in Bangkok”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I are just back from Thailand for a two week trip and I can honestly say this was our favorite restaurant in the whole two weeks.

We came from the lounge at the Sheraton which has an amazing happy hour jazz singer on top of great drinks and snacks. We decided to try Basil because of the convenience and thankfully got a table. We were with a friend who swore by the Khao Soi - curry soup with egg noodles - and it was the best meal all trip. I love thai food but had never had this northern thai dish. I'm craving it now back in the states. Service was also impeccable. Restaurant is small and cozy with am amazing ambiance. Go here while in Bangkok.

GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Jessica Y,

Thank you very much for choosing to dine at basil and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed the food prepared by Chef Kesinee Wanta and her team as well as the overall ambiance and atmosphere. I have shared your compliments with Chef Kesinee and she looks forward to your next visit.

• Korean first
Dallas, Texas
“My favorite in Bangkok”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I spent three weeks in Bangkok in August 2013, and returned this January. While there I had dinner every night, at a different restaurant except one or two repeats, the majority of them serving Thai dishes, a few of which were very good. On the next-to-last day of my visit in August I ate at Basil, and had the best meal I had during my stay! It was so good that I returned the next night before heading for the airport.
On this trip I couldn't wait to eat at Basil on my first day, and was not disappointed. I found everything to be excellent; I eat Thai food a lot, and still hold this restaurant to be exceptional. At each meal I was with a second person, so I was able to try portions of several different appetizers and main courses, and each dish I had was truly delicious.
This restaurant remains my favorite, and I have only superlatives to say about it. It certainly isn't cheap, either in price or quality, but to me it's worth it.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear AliveNowB,

Thank you very much for returning to basil and for the time that you had taken to share your feedback with us.

It is always a great pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I was happy to read that you had enjoyed all the dishes prepared by the team. I have shared your compliments with Chef Kesinee and the culinary team and they look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Rome, Italy
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Nice restaurant in 5 star hotel conflicting with plastic street-food-like menu with images, a pretty clumsy service and Western-adapted Thai food. Overrated.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Snafuz13,

First of all, may I thank you for dining at our Basil and for going to the trouble of sharing with me your feedback.

I am concerned to learn that you were disappointed with your dining experience. The menu with images is designed for our Korean and Japanese guests who prefer to see images of the food. I apologize if you were not offered our full normal a la carte menu. As for the taste, our service attendants should have enquired as to the level of spiciness you prefer. This has been brought to the attention of our Director of Food and Beverage to ensure the proper action has been taken to avoid the reoccurrence.

With regards to the set lunch / dinner menu, we are now implementing in Basil the iPad menu which more interesting and interactive.

We do hope that in spite of the incident, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to experience the service improvement.

With kind regards,

Sunshine, Australia
“Average food, defensive service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Went to Basil with high expectation, knowing it is more expensive but prepared to pay for a good meal. Had the set menu which include lobster with cashewnut. What an disappointment. Food tasted ok, but nothing more. I think some previous review was spot on about the spice being toned down for westerners.

There are a number of things we did not like

Food was cold, partly due to how it was presented. Four dishes served in individual mini plates, clumsy and unattractive. It looked more like food court food than 5 star. Lobster was fried in some kind of flour coating which tasted oily otherwise flavourless. Lamb curry was well cooked but lack of taste and yes, cold. The morning glory was also tasteless.

Food came too quickly between courses, we felt rushed and told the staff son who was indifferent, even cheeky by saying " next time you should inform us", I told him next time he should check with dinner not wait to be told.

The dessert was so bad, a piece of bruised mango. None of the dishes had any garnishes or any attempt to improve the appearance, if only the flavour delivers, but alas, they don't.

Visited January 2014
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Justin H,

First of all, may I thank you for dining at the Basil. I was extremely concerned to learn of your disappointments with the dinner in Basil in terms of food and the services.

Naturally, the food was served right away after it had been cooked from the kitchen and as per Thai dining style both soup and main courses are served at the same time. However, due to few guests and low temperature of the dining area, it is possibly that it makes the food cool down very quickly. With regards to the lack of taste and decoration, your comment has been passed to the Director of Food and Beverage for further appropriate action to be taken.

With regards to the service pace, I am sorry to learn that the service was too fast for you and have emphasized our staff to pay more attention and listen more to the guests. I do apologize for your disappointments and I do hope in spite of the incident, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to experience the improvement.

With kind regards,

Hobart
“Delicious food, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

The Tom Yum Goong I had here was possibly one of the most delicious meals I've ever had. All the food was so tasty and I can safely say that it was one of the best places I have eaten in Thailand. Staff were attentive and friendly.

Visited January 2014
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Nicole G,

Thank you very much for choosing to dine at basil and for the time that you have taken to share your feedback with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the Tom Yum Goong prepared by Chef Kesinee and her team as well as the level of service. Your compliments have been shared with the team at basil and they all look forward to your next visit.