“Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #175 of 8,046 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai
Description: basil is an award-winning Thai restaurant serving the finest authentic cuisine in a sophisticated setting. Diners can enjoy the exquisite flavors of traditional dishes made from fresh ingredients and presented with creative flair.
London, United Kingdom
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Food andc service were great they were very attentive.If I have a complaint it would be the decor a bit cold also with the aircon on doubly so.Went to the bar on the same floor after for drinks and to watch the jazz which was pleasant.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Adrian186338,

Thank you for the time you have taken to outline the positive points of your dining experience and your points of constructive criticism. The time you have taken to comment is highly appreciated and well received in assisting us to maintain the exceptional experience for which we are renowned.

Moreover, I am glad that you have enjoyed your visit to The Living Room after your dinner.

We look forward to welcoming you back to basil and The Living Room.

• Korean first
Shanghai, China
“Excellent food with a higher price tag”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were staying in the Sheraton and after a long day did not have much energy to leave the hotel. We instead went for the Basil Thai restaurant in the hotel since they were not busy and no reservation needed on this night. We were not disappointed! The service and food were top notch. The food quality was excellent, the presentation of the dishes is superb, and the portions are generous. The atmosphere is nice with private rooms available for larger groups. This is more upscale Thai so you pay more, but for a nice evening out it is worth it. This restaurant is not overly formal, but not a typical casual restaurant you find on the street. I would go back if in the hotel or area again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear MarkS41,

Thank you for sharing your recent dining experience at basil with us.

We welcome all feedback as it is an important tool in helping us to maintain our standards. Moreover, the experience you shared certainly matches the dining experience that we aim for and I will certainly share your kind words to the team to recognize their efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
“Basil -Better than the Blue Elephant by far”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Its not quite what you would expect from a hotel - a stunning Thai restaurant where the food is actually better than the legendary Blue Elephant.

Basil's is a wonderful Thai restaurant at the Grant Sheraton. The menu is excellent from phad Thai to grab cakes to the best massaman curry ever to the wonderful chilly chicken with cashew nuts. Its an extensive menu well prepared, good wine list and three selections of rice on offer as part of the deal - brown, Thai fragrant and nutty rice. The service is good, calm, efficient and not too obtrusive but they also will explain the menu.

Why is it better than the blue elephant? Blue Elephant has the stylish location but Basils has the better quality of food, better range and oh - its way cheaper too!!

After my 10 visit in three years it just keeps getting better.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Exceptional food, if your willing to pay for it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Being located inside the Sheraton Grande on Sukhumvit, you would expect a high price and a beautiful setting. I personally would not expect but hope for good food too. On all these things, it delivers.

I think this is the best Thai food I have eaten. Food of this calibre cannot really be compared with, for example, street food as it is in another category. I would put this in the mid to high range restaurant category, and of this, it is the quite possibly the best I have had.

My GF and I had two set menus, which turned out to be a real challenge to finish. This included Thai green curry, lobster, tom yum soup and sweet sticky rice among many other things. It was all delicious, though I would have preferred a little more chilli. I read another review of this restaurant which said the Tom yum was too spicy. To that person may I remind you, you are in Thailand. The onus is on you to specify that you don't want it too spicy. If you can't take the heat, just leave the country. A small suggestion to the management, you could ask customers how spicy they like it as some Farang are a little weak when it comes to spice (but not all).

Thanks Basil for a lovely evening!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Alexwhos,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your recent dining experience.

At basil, we aim to provide our guests with the finest local cuisine, offering the essence of traditional dishes, but infused with a modern flair. Your comments have been shared with the team at basil, and we have re-emphasized the importance of asking the preference of taste with our guests.

The team at basil looks forward to the next opportunity of welcoming you back for a memorable dining experience.

Bangkok, Thailand
“One of the best choice for Thai food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

This is one of best Thai restaurants I have ever tried so far. The intimate, cozy wine bar get along well with green banana trees, rice vases, and decoration on the wall. This is one of the rare Thai spots that has it own ambiance going. It's nice and quite enough to make it a great place to have dinner with someone you want to catch up with and actually hear them.
The service is beyond five stars, everyone there was beyond nice, gracious, accommodating, and made me feel welcome.
I highly recommend the grilled Australian beef sirloin with spicy gravy and fresh veggies on the side, was very good. And a deep fried seabass with the light fish sauce that I just added the chopped chili with the crispy fish fillets, it's BOMB!!
I will definitely come back again whenever I got a chance.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Pickitupone,

May I thank you for sharing your dining experience at basil with us.

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed the food, ambiance, and service offered. It is always a great pleasure to receive positive feedback and have shared it with the team at basil. We strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and I am sure that your feedback will be encouragement to all the staff.

We look forward to your next visit at basil.