“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #139 of 7,183 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tucked away at the very end of Sukhumvit 18, Tacos & Salsa is a little hidden Mexican gem in the busy city of Bangkok. A favourite to expats and tourists as well as locals, Tacos & Salsa pride ourselves in serving authentic traditional Mexican home-cooked food that "brings Mexico to you". Famous for flavourful sizzling Fajitas: marinated boneless steak served with grilled peppers, guacamole, tortillas, beans and rice, served on a hot plate, all our recipes are prepared as if we were back home in Mexico. Best margaritas in town, classic (lime). Honey lime, passion fruit, mango, strawberry, peach and black currant Taquitos de carnitas or pork al pastor have that Mexican street-stall taco taste, and are best accompanied with our 6 homemade salsas. Come join us for a flavourful, chill-out Mexican time from 3pm to 11pm, daily. For table reservation or more information on group party hosting (our second floor is able to host 25-30 people), please feel free to contact us.
Singapore, Singapore
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

By the way, I'd like to highlight that I actually made a Tripadvisor account just so I could write this amazing place a well deserved review. I have always been a mexican food connoiseur and to be able to find this hidden gem in an asian city like bangkok still amazes me. It was purely sheer luck that I managed to find this place only because I was running into the first alley I saw to find a washroom urgently. I'd like to commend the chef and highlight that the dishes that they have put together are truly impeccable and words cannot describe the foodgasm my 3 children and wife enjoyed to the very last morsel. Good on you guys.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Bangkok, Thailand
“Meat-tastic Burrito + Tequila selection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I'm on a mission to try every Mexican food restaurant in Bangkok, and Tacos and Salsa was next on the list.

I stopped in with my gf the other night and was pleased to see friendly lights and bright colors waiting at the end of the Soi. We ordered a carnitas burrito, chips and guac, and after seeing the first pozole on a menu in the whole country, knew I had to try it. Out came five salsas, all fresh, tasty, and unique! The green was spicy enough to make me happy and my gf liked the dark chile oil--new to us but surprisingly good on a chip!

Tacos and Salsa guacamole was the BEST, hands down, that we've had in Thailand: tons of avocado, obviously mashed in a molcajete and not a food pulverizer, lots of lime, cilantro, onion, garlic, a little tomato, and done. I always prefer house-fried chips myself but the owner said they get them from a Mexican lady who makes them healthier (no trans fat etc.) so i suppose my body should thank them for not deep frying.

The pozole was a nice, fresh tasting soup--much lighter than the greasy red stuff I'm used to in California--and tasted of Mexican oregano. It had tons of lean, shredded pork and was super filling without being heavy. The burrito was huge and even split, it was too big to finish. After trying many burritos around town that use Thai vegetables or Thai spices or weird cheese, it was a downright godsend to get a meat/bean/rice burrito without any odd flavors. It was delicious and meaty and the carnitas just tasted RIGHT. Delicioso!

Even though we were impressed with the food, the arguably better discovery was a quality tequila selection. In Thailand, I had yet to see some of my favorites and here was a whole bar full of brands of tequila that I like. When the Thai waitress knew her stuff, reciting tequila labels and ages off the top of her head, I knew I was in a good place!! You can't go wrong with a nice Herradura reposado to settle your stomach! After we decided on Corralejo shots, the friendly Mexican and Thai owners stopped by for a little chat, and we assured them we'd be back to try the rest of the menu and the house margaritas soon enough!

P.S. Check out the cute paintings of Mexican artists, luchadores, and mariachis with their favorite drinks--painted by one of the owners! Que linda!

Singapore, Singapore
“Undoubtedly awesome & amazed restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

After many years, I visited Bangkok once AGAIN. Bangkok provides really great foods/products with affordable and reasonable pricing. This is one of the many restaurants I would highly recommend for travelers to try! My friend brought me to this restaurant for post Halloween celebration. I am totally in love with the ambiance/decor/tranquility and everything else about this place and boy this outlet wins all the rest hands down. It definitely warrants for a second visit soon.
This restaurant offers "the buffet style" during my first visit. Without second thoughts, we decided on the buffet style. To my surprise, I am taken away by the creativity the chef come out with and suits our needs and wants in addition of their recommended specialties drink “margarita. It is without exaggerating, really delicious.
This ought to be my favorite Tacos & Salsa Mexican Bistro in Bangkok. I’m definitely coming back for more.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bangkok, Thailand
“Little but Impressive Mexican Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I first came to this littile Mexican Restaurant which is hidden in Sukhumvit Soi 18 last 2 years .. Recommended by my American Friend, and I am a regular customer and would like ot receommend this place .. The Ladies; Mexican and Thai owners; did a great job in putting together the great menu as well as to provide a Friendly & Helpful Service. I love the quesadillas, and the enchiladas are amazing. The salsa selection is remarkble. The margaritas is excellent ..
You can forget about the "Bangkok-Mexican" Food and other Franchise Mexican .. The Little Restaurant has its own charm which are the combination of Great Food and Good Services. The Owners and staffs recognize you and your preference of Food and Drinks (I like my Margarita a bit sour and strong which I've never have to ask for more lime or tequila ever) .. You will love the place and the Friendliness of the Owners and Staffs ..

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
bangkok
“Why the Hype people...really ?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Sure, its cool to find a quaint little out-of-the-way Mexican spot in Bangkok, I'll grant you that but this place disappoints.....First off they charge you for chips (should be complimentary as El Diablo's)...No a big deal but I got over it.....and the 5-type of salsa assortment was a nice touch, so I was ok.....However, on came the entrees. My "wet" chicken Burrito wasn't covered with salsa but with some type of watered-down "Ragu" tomato sauce....Chicken was crumbled and mixed with god knows what in the burrito making the whole dish taste more like lasagna than a burrito. Finally, my wife's ceviche came out and low and behold, we were introduced to a maggot! no, not an ant or one of the many critters we're used to seeing here in Bangkok, but yes, a maggot!. We were out of there fast! Now, we're Mexican food fans and growing up in New York, I have eaten my fair share, so I was looking forward to this place (especially after reading the positive reviews). After reading their website, it seems that the place was opened by a Westerner and then purchased by a Thai. When this happens, quality and service usually slide downhill as the nuances of 'farang' food are usually lost on the Thai owners - just a hypothesis, but after 9 years of living in Thailand I have seen this happen over and over again.....Sunrise Tacos is ok, La Monita as well (albeit the obnoxious 'hi-so' crowd) - but for my money, I gotta stick with El Diablo's on Soi 24 (and their Chiang Mai spot). Will try Sr. Picos soon as I heard good things but this place again - no way....but did remind me to listen to the album 'Maggot Brain' by Funkadelic again!

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
TandS M, Owner at Tacos & Salsa Mexican Bistro, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
We appreciate your feedback, and would like to apologize for your unfortunate experience on your last visit.
We use organic vegetables in our cooking and what you found was a vegetable worm. There is still no excuse for allowing this to happen and we are making sure that it wont be a problem again. Our normal procedure is to clean and soak our vegetables in ice water for at least 10 minutes before using. We have instructed all staff to pay particular attention to this matter.
On the other hand, I will explain that we do have to charge for our chips as we purchase them from an outside vendor, who produces top quality chips, oil free, crunchy and with an authentic Mexican flavor.
I guarantee my knowledge of Mexican flavors as I am from Mexico City, the current owners of Tacos and Salsa are Mexican and Thai. I travel to Mexico often and when I do, I bring back mole and achiote to make seasonal special dishes. I assure you that the food we serve is authentic including the burritos which are well know in the northern part of Mexico where flour tortillas are more commonly used. Rice, beans and your choice of filling are mixed together and placed inside a flour tortilla. The chicken filling is fat free chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces, and grilled at the moment. The sauce we use on top of the burrito is a “salsa ranchera” made from tomatoes, onion, garlic and cumin, it is the recipe that my family has used for a long time in Mexico City. Recipes vary, so it might be different from what you might have had before in NY.
Again an apology and thanks for your feedback.