“Lots of Fun” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
London
“Lots of Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I did the evening class (we had hoped to do the earlier classes as you get to go to the markets to buy your ingredients but sadly they were fully booked). However this did not dampen our fun! There were 4 of us in the class which was a really nice number. We cooked 4 dishes in all and ate each one after we had cooked it. I was stuffed in a good way at the end of the evening! Our chef/teacher had an excellent sense of humour and explained everything from each ingredient to particular methods really well. At the end of the class you are given a cooking book with various recipes including the dishes that were made during the class. The cooking facilities were also really clean and easy to use. This was an excellent activity to do in Bangkok and I would love to do it again!

Visited April 2013

• Polish first
California
10 attraction reviews
“Thai Cooking in Thailand - a MUST do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I decided to go to a cooking class while in Bangkok. We chose Silom because it offered classic dishes prepared in a classic way (i.e., on the floor and in a house with outdoor kitchens) and included a market tour. You meet your chef at a street corner near the market and are escorted through the market with explanations on what everything was and how to buy it. One of the things I learned was how to tell if a shrimp is fresh! It was also helpful to learn about all of the vegetables/roots/herbs I am not familiar with (Tamarind for example). Our chef was Oat and he was gracious and patient and very good at teaching the art of Thai cooking. This is the first hands-on cooking class I have taken that I actually got to do everything – most classes you share the experience with 1 or more other people. We each made our own portions of each dish – no small task in that we made 5 dishes plus our own green curry paste. We even made our own coconut milk which was a great experience. Each day has a set menu of items you will cook – so if you want to come to this school, pick the day that offers the menu items you’d like to learn to make. All of the prep work is done is a large room on the floor with a mat and all of the ingredients arranged in beautiful baskets and dishes – each person has their own chopping block and knife and chops everything needed for all of the menu items. We were even taught to wash and arrange things in a pleasing way before we cooked. Each person has their own cooking station as well so you really get the experience of actually cooking it yourself. Being a Monday, we made Spicy Shrimp Soup, Pad Thai, Chicken Salad, Green curry with chicken and desert rubies in coconut milk (this was amazing – who would have thought turnips could be so good?) The class also included basic instruction on what was important in Thai cooking and what was not – so that recipes are not set in stone – just certain parts. Good to know! The best part was eating it all! All that for $35 US and excellent camaraderie with other students from all over the world and you leave with a cookbook so you can’t possibly forget how to do it! It was the best experience we had in Bangkok! We should have signed up for more days! So if you find yourself with 5 hours with nothing to do in Bangkok – this would be a fun, enriching, delicious way to spend that time.

Solihull, United Kingdom
“Fun & very reasonably priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Not being a fan of cooking I didn't know what to expect from this Thai cooking experience! It was first class. Meet for the market tour as it's really interesting to see & be told about the various ingredients that are essential to Thai cooking.
Oat the head chef has a great sense of humour & the morning flew by! I still can't believe I made Tom Yum soup from scratch & Thai Green Chix curry.
Made a change from shopping & at 1000 Baht was very reasonable.

Bangkok, Thailand
“Exceptional value & immense fun :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The perfect way to spend a morning in Bangkok. Selecting produce from the market and then back to the delightful school premises for some hands on cookery.
Brilliant, informative and witty instruction from Oat our head chef for the session. I will definitely be going back when I'm next in Bangkok.

Five thumbs up from me.

Singapore, Singapore
“Must do when you go Bangkok”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Cooked most of the dishes.
Manager Maai & Chef Oat is friendly and humorous person.
You eat what you cooked.
Price is reasonable.