“Always excellent.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 8,076 Restaurants in Bangkok
4.5 of 5 stars 271 Reviews
Cuisines: Sushi, European, Mediterranean, Seafood, Bahamian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Buffet, Late Night
Description: Sumptuous seafood and river views to savour Named after the seafaring hero created by novelist Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim’s reputation for magnificent seafood is almost as well known as its namesake. Enjoying an uninterrupted view of the river, Lord Jim’s serves one of the most popular buffet lunches in Bangkok with a wide selection of seafood and international dishes on offer. For dinner, diners can choose from an à la carte or set menu. Focusing on the freshest seafood available, Lord Jim’s is particularly renowned for its sushi and sashimi dishes.A private dining room can accommodate 20 diners for lunch and 16 guests for dinner.
Dublin, Ireland
“Always excellent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I have made it a tradition to take lunch here every time I am leaving Bangkok to fly home. Over the 7-8 years I have been eating here it has never failed me or my guests. I just love sitting by the window and watch the world float by as I savour the wonderful food. The salads, fish, sushi, tempura are great. I have a small gripe with the Thai food as this could be improved. The desserts are beyond reproach. I bear testimony to this by refilling my plate 2 or 3 times! If I ate just the desserts then I would be a very happy, but very fat, man indeed. Congrats to their pastry chef. I like the fact of the chefs at each station preparing the food. Service was not what I am used to. There was nobody at the front desk when we arrived. When we went and found her she was rather unfriendly and not genuinely warm. We had to ask our server(s) for knives, forks, spoons all too often. This was not seen and dealt with by our server. Once I actually had to go to their station to ask for a spoon. Not good at all.! But I will be back, as usual!

• Visited January 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Allentown, PA
“The most amazing buffet... EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

Lord Jim’s (after the book by Joseph Conrad, sillies. Duh!) is the buffet to end all buffets. Held every Sunday at the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. this buffet is a must do for any food junkie. Sure it costs quite a few bucks (around 1700 TB per person) but it will be one of the best meals of your life. Make sure you book ahead of time. I made my reservations about a four days in advance. There were both 11:00 and 1:45 seatings. There is a dress casual requirement.
This may have been the best buffet of my life. Yup, that is a bold statement. I’ve had time to think about it. I’ll stand by that claim. t I’ve eaten at a lot of buffets in my lifetime. One could probably call me a connoisseur.
This one was IN-CRED-I-BLE!!!
The main room was circular, with one half of that circle being window. My table was right there, backed up against the glass. My view was of the river. While eating I just sat and stared. I spent an hour and a half enraptured, watching the boats go back and forth.
Most buffets focus just on putting out as much food as possible. This buffet did that - the selection of seafood was unparalleled. Lord Jim’s went beyond mere quantity, though, and produced true quality. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen seafood like that in a normal setting. Additionally, no one was let into the room before 1:40 so all of the food was ultra fresh.
About half the items on the buffet was seafood. Much of the seafood was served cold. Crab claws, shrimp cocktail, oysters on the half shell, ceviche, smoked salmon were all there for the eating. A sushi bar, mostly of nigiri and sashimi, was fully available. I swear the pieces of tuna, salmon, and octopus were at least 1/2 an inch thick. Hot seafood such as steamed prawns and tempura shrimp were also on the menu.
The rounding out the buffets were breads, cheeses, deserts, meats, and “all the fixings.” Holla!!! Foie Gras? Yup, I had some. Carving station? Duck, roast beef, chicken, ham, and the best lamb I’ve ever had that hasn’t been produced by a smoker. Proscuitto, salami, and capricola? Check, check, and check? Deserts? Wow! Can I say chocolate fountain people? Chocolate freakin' fountain! Word!
I gorged, and gorged, and gorged. It was all good - all amazing. That meal, will be one I remember for a long, long time to come.

Kihei, Hawaii
“doesn't get much better than this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Lord Jims is my favorite dinning experience in Bangkok. Service and ambiance tops with the plus of the river view. everything ordered was 100% to our satisfaction. many fresh oysters, fois gras terrine, Caesar salad and lobster bisque. then we had dinner. I'm a big fish fan and Lord Jims doesn't disappoint. great wine list. a little pricey for my Ridge cabernet from California, however we enjoyed it. been upstairs to Le Normandie and Lord Jims takes all my votes. if you love seafood I can guarantee happiness here, and let me mention a romantic place too.

Bangkok
“Food quality is beyond reproach, service is near flawless and with stunning views.. and price equally as stunning.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

This is an update to my initial review of 17JUL09. I ate here, for their signature Sunday Brunch, with two out of town airline friends on 17 October 2010.

==> The Place: Lord Jim's is one of the four restaurants located within the venerable (Mandarin) Oriental Hotel. It’s situated on the upper floor-- one floor above the main lobby. It's fully air conditioned and has a totally unobstructed and stunning view of the Chao Phraya River thru floor-to-ceiling glass windows.

Just because of where it is and what it is, it tends to be full, and on some Sundays it will sell out. If you want to be sure to get a table, reservations are suggested. Naturally, registered hotel guests have priority. Dress code here is smart casual (no short, sandals, tank-top, t-shirts or flip-flops) and is enforced.

==> The Food & Menu: The food here is simply spectacular—both in terms of quality of ingredients and culinary/preparation skills. The brunch tends to focus on seafood, both local and regional items like Thai blue swimming crab; as well as fresh imported like Norwegian Salmon and Australian Lobster. On the meat side, they feature top-of-the-line US Prime grade meat or the Australian/New Zealand equivalent. You’ll see steaks, chops and the like—all accompanied by a variety of sauces.

The presentation and preparation is a geared a bit more to the adult and semi-sophisticated palette, however, there are other selections geared to the more mainline diner.

They rotate the menu on a regular basis—seasonally, and do also have special ‘feature’ weekends where one type of food or ingredient will be featured prominently across multiple entrée selections.

Typically you will find entrees such as carved to order prime roast beef with infused horseradish dressing, pan fried sole fillet, lobster in wine & caper sauce, seared duck with fresh mango puree, oysters in half-shell, lump crab meat with avocado dressing, marinated yellow-fin tuna, steamed Alaskan cod w/ ginger-mirin sauce, Australian lamb rack and other specialties.. In addition to these signature dishes you will also find classic dishes of pasta, prime beef and free range chicken as well as a full sushi counter, bread & cheese spread, dairy and yoghurt offerings. One of the more elaborate and visually stunning attractions of the buffet is their fresh fruits display, as many fruits are intricately hand carved for display—a Thai tradition and art form.

Today, we all elected to focus our appetites on their seafood selections. I had several half-lobster tails with a garlic butter aioli, lobster ravioli with a sun dried tomato reduction sauce, thin sliced prime rib with mint-infused horseradish glaze and Waguy beef tenderloin skewers lightly seared with a grand marnier liquor glaze.

We all agreed that our food was perfect—without exception. My lobster was tender and butter and not rubbery; the ravioli was tender and juicy with the right balance between sweetness and tartness from the tomatoes; the roast beef was fork tender and the Waguy beef was beyond description!

==> The Service: The service is as you might expect from a hotel with the name “Oriental”, that being unfailingly courteous, prompt, unobtrusive and consistent. The restaurant staff speaks excellent English as well as a number of other Asian and European languages.

Our table attendant was excellent. Our drink order was taken a few minutes after being seated. After he returned with our drinks, he began by explaining in fair detail today’s entire buffet highlights; all 11 of them, and by rote memory.

As he presented food, he knew the proper (modern) way to serve and remove dishes- that being to present from the diners’ right and remove from the left.

==> Summary:
The food here is clearly the highlight. The menu is diverse and always involves the freshest local or imported ingredients. Cooking style is a combination of classic/traditional with modern influences; and clearly caters to a more refined and sophisticated palette. The service was also well orchestrated; crisp and professional, but not “over the top” nor stuffy; after all, this is Thailand.

The prices are not cheap-- by any measure. However, when you consider the quality *and* quantity of the food presented, the buffet here can be good overall value.

Our total bill for three people with (non-alcoholic) drinks came to just over THB5,300 (or about US$58 per person).

** PRO: Food quality is beyond reproach. Culinary skills are first rate and designed for a more sophisticated palette. Service is unfailing “Oriental”. Excellent river views.

** CON: If you’re not into more upscale dining, this maybe an overkill for you. Prices are clearly on the higher end of the spectrum.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
bangkok
“beautiful view etc.etc.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Seafood is very good, service is excellent, view is simply fantastic.

• 4 of 5 stars Food