“One of the best in Bangkok!” 4 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40/5 Surawong Road, Bangkok 10500, Thailand   |
Ranked #19 of 756 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangalore, India
“One of the best in Bangkok!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I'm in love with the rooms and the breakfast here. The rooms are extremely clean! The staff is charming. They are ever so willing to help. The hotel is very close to the Patpong night market which is great because I love shopping there! I was initially worried that I might walk out of the hotel t night and reach the red light area in Patpong, but you don't really have to worry. It's filled with tourists and is quite safe.

Opt for the circular bed. Its a lovely experience! After a tiresome client meeting, I've spent hours in the bath tub with some music on. But yourself some bath salts or the famous Thai oil outside the hotel and you owuldn't regret it!

Room Tip: Rooms with circular beds are nice!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Nick_Zilinski, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Bangkok, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for staying with us during your most recent visit to the land of smile.
It brings us much joy to know that you are ranking us as one of the best hotels in Bangkok.
Moreover, it is great to know that you have tried our signature breakfast, which have been
carefully developed by our experienced culinary team. On the other hand, our stunning
Circular rooms - located on level 22 – provide not only an inspired journey but also overlooking
the energetic Thai capital.

We hope to see you again in our hotel in the near future.
With Best Wishes,

Director – Sales + Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
North Canton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had I written this review while in Thailand it would have been 5, or at least 4 stars. The hotel itself is lovely. One thing I didn't realize is that it is set in the red light district. A man walking alone through the market is deluged by offers from girls (and girlie boys), and guys with laminated cards with pics of women being thrust into your hands, and bars with girls in g-strings, every few feet. But, hey, that's not something the hotel can do much about.

Where I am disappointed today is that I am only now finding out that my wife and I fell for a rather elaborate, but apparently common scam. We had only a few hours to spend in Bangkok. The helpful clerk suggested that we take a boat on the river and visit Wat Arun, cross the river and visit the Imperial Palace and Wat Pho. Great suggestion, except he didn't warn us, at all, about what was to come.

Leaving the hotel with my wife I was relieved to find the redlight stuff had disappeared overnight. A few blocks down the street a friendly Thai on the street chatted us up as we headed to the Skytrain. The regular boats don't run on Sunday, he told us. We should go to the tourist pier instead. At that moment a tuk tuk just "happened" to be driving by, our "friend" flagged him down, gave him directions for us, and off we went.

We ended up spending more than anticipated for the river transportation--which we did by longtail boat, rather than the public ferry. But our adventure had only begun. After a great, but quick, tour of Wat Arun, we crossed the river and headed to the imperial palace. But again, we were intercepted by a "helpful english speaking Thai man" who told us that the temple and palace had just closed for an hour for lunch for the monks--he suggested a nearby alternative "imperial temple" in the meantime--just a short walk away--or he could flag me a tuk tuk to run us there for only 20 baht.

It ended up being a long tuk tuk ride to a very cool small temple complex. To make a long story short, we ended up bumping into a very nice man there. He told us all about the temple. He showed us all the great shots for taking pictures. He made some recommendations about where to go. My wife indicated an interest in jewelry, and he immediately told us that we must visit the "Royal Lapidary"--where unlike street vendors the quality of the merchandise is certified by the government. He again, helped us get a tuktuk. Thai people are so helpful!

We ended up buying jewelry at this place--a bit over $500 worth. It was an impulse buy, by inexperienced jewelry shoppers--in particular, by a husband wanting to buy something nice for his wife on her first day in Thailand.

So, 10 days later I'm back home thinking about all of this. I search "Royal Lapidary" only to find a long thread here on trip advisor with almost every bit of our adventure described by others who fell for the same routine--same misdirection to the small temple, with the amazing, friendly guy, who sends them on to the Royal Lapidary. Turns out, its all a common scam. I haven't had our jewelry appraised yet, but I have little doubt after reading that thread that I paid a whole lot more than it was worth.

Sorry for my long post--what's this to do with the hotel? Well, I wish that I had been warned about this sort of thing when I set out on our little tour (I was helpfully warned about the red light situation in advance). Just a word of warning about this sort of thing would have done the trick.

More importantly, when we came back, and told the desk clerk how our day had gone--the clerk told us that we didn't do that bad. The price I negotiated for the longtail boat was more than the public boat--but a good price for the longtail--which we had to ourselves.

But he said nothing about the rest of our visit. I just wish he would have warned us that we probably overpaid by quite a bit at the Royal Lapidary--apparently (given the long thread) a rather common Bangkok scam. A simple "heads up" would have saved us a few hundred wasted dollars. Had he said something, I read in the thread that we could have gone back and gotten our money back. Now that we are back in the States its hard to do anything at this distance.

I chalk all of this up as a lesson learned. I'll certainly be much more careful on my next visit.

I just wish the hotel had helped an obviously inexperienced couple avoid this sort of thing in the first place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick_Zilinski, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Bangkok, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts on this forum.
It is a great pleasure to read that you had enjoyed our provided facilities and for mentioning that our hotel is lovely.
On the other hand, thank you for bringing your negative impressions to our attention, as well as to the awareness of other travelers.
Once again, we thank you for your valuable comments and look forward to welcoming you back.

With kind wishes,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two days in June before we headed off to Koh Samui and completely enjoyed our time here. The check in was very quick and was served a very refreshing welcome drink. The rooms were immaculate and spacious, there was a coffee press in the room with plenty of coffee, sugar, and creamer and 6 bottles of water. The highlight of the stay was the fantastic staff throughout, we always felt very welcomed and looked after the whole time. The staff at the front would hail you a taxi, provide the directions to the driver, hand you a card to get back AND tell you how much the fare should cost. It really gave us peace of mind as it was our first time in Thailand and it helped to have their local knowledge so you didn’t feel ripped off. The location was great, very close to lots of restaurants and bars, we also dined in the restaurant one evening, taking advantage of their Asian dinner buffet which was very well priced and absolutely delicious! Their food and beverage team were just fantastic and ensured our drinks were topped up and clean cutlery was always brought over. We went to see the pool, but didn’t have time to go for a swim however it looked very nice and seemed well-staffed.

I would definitely return to this hotel the next time I come to Bangkok, thanks again to the staff for a great start to our holiday.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for staying with us and to taking the moment to write this excellent review.
We are delighted that you were able to experience our signature hospitality in service in every part of the hotel, as well as that the main reason why you consider our hotel as a great one, is our talented staff.
Such comments help us to remain our highly motivated team and to achieve the service levels for which we are known .
All our team will be happy to see you again in our hotel.

With Best Regards,
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Attention to details is how the best hotels distinguish themselves and Le Meridien in Bangkok does this marvelously. I checked in very early, was told that I needed to wait until the room was ready but 3 front staff worked on my case and I had a beautiful room in 5 minutes (do opt for the circular bed if you can - fantastic feeling!). My experience in Asia is that rooms are clean, but not necessarily to German standards - not so here - spotless. Other reviews complain about the "red light" area - but that is evident in many parts of Bangkok and like it or not, it is part of the "culture" and part of life. My advice - just bypass it! Highly recommend the hotel.

Traveler Tip: For a premier "professional" massage, 300 meters west on 94 Suriwong Road is Tiger Thai Massage. Laurent (a French import) has been in Thailand for 15 years and has opened 2 outstanding massage establishments. Besides easier to converse in English (and French), Laurent picks the best masseuses form the Wat Pho massage school (the original). Well worth a visit after a long airplane ride!

Room Tip: Pick a room with a circular bed!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for taking the time to share your excellent compliments with us.
Indeed, we are always putting a lot of attention to details and understand from our valuable guests, like you -hat this is highly appreciated from our customers and creates a distinction. Our entire team will be thrilled to hear on your comments. It will be in our pleasure to welcome and impress you once again.

With Best Regards,
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel three times in recent months and have enjoyed each visit. My issue is with the door men. As I departed today I asked for a metered taxi to the airport. The staff waiving down a taxi for me appeared to work hard to get a taxi sitting across the street. I confirmed with the front door man that I wanted a metered taxi. Sure enough, as soon as I got in and took off the taxi driver insisted on Baht500 to DM airport (a Baht200 fare). I refused and asked to get out of the taxi. He ended up agreeing to take me on the meter. Plenty of taxi scams in Bangkok; however, I DO NOT expect my hotel to be the one setting me up and arranging the scam! What if the passenger had been my wife? NOT WHAT I'D EXPECT FROM A 5 STAR HOTEL. If i was the manager of this hotel I would fire the front door staff. I won't return until this is sorted out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Nick_Zilinski, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Bangkok, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

May we thank you for your continuous support and loyalty towards Le Méridien Bangkok.
It certainly is the highlight for us to see returning guests like yourself and that you have enjoyed each journey with us.
Your appreciated comment have been taken up by the concerned departments for a detailed review and an improvement where needed.
Once again, thank you for the time that you have taken to write this review for our hotel and please feel welcome to contact me directly
to oversee a further booking with us.

With our best wishes,

Singapore River, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I travel quite a bit to some of the more exotic countries,
and I always stay at Le Meridien BKK during the overnight
transit.

Le Meridien BKK to me is quite special, it isn't like a normal 5 star hotels,
while the service is great, the main attraction isn't Service or Food or location,
(All three are great btw).

What is special to me is that Le Meridien BKK doesn't feel like a hotel. From the
Ralph Gibson Photos in front to the specialized elevator ambiance to the
fantastic meeting rooms with library of books, I feel like I am in
the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

That is why I will always come here when I run away once in a while to
recharge, rejuvenate and be enriched.

Room Tip: Get a room further away from the lifts.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

May we thank you for your honest loyalty and kind patronage towards Le Méridien Bangkok.
We are proud to know that not only our service philosophy provides an unique experience for you,but also that we are able to create this ‘Museum of Modern Art in New York’ perception in your eyes. Art is one of our passion points and we are happy to share it with our open-minded guests.

It will be in our pleasure to welcome you during your next visit to Bangkok and to have this exchanging of cultures again.Please feel welcome to contact me directly to oversee a further booking with us. Meanwhile, be creative!

With our best wishes,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Disclaimer: Stayed here in December 2011

**Location**
This hotel is located in a very busy and commercial part of Bangkok. However this also means that you'll be well connected with tuk tuks and taxis.

**Service**
The service was regular run-of-the-mill. For an international Starwood property in this part of the world, we did not see the Asian hospitality we experienced all over Thailand.
The breakfast was overpriced and while the options were many, it wasn't the best quality.

**Property**
The actual hotel is new, and has funky architecture and a modern theme. The room is well appointed as you'd expect at this price point from a Starwood property.

Room Tip: Skip the breakfast buffet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your feelings and experience on your visit with us in December 2011.
We are glad to hear that you have been impressed with the hotel`s design and showcased art pieces – as Art is one of our passion points.
All given feedback help to create memorable and inspiring stays for our guests. Indeed, a detailed service attention is truly a big asset
and we would appreciate that we can showcase to you our team promise during an upcoming visit to Thailand.
Please feel welcome to contact me directly, if you choose to return to us so that I can oversee a reservation for you.

With kind wishes, meanwhile
Director – Sales + Marketing

Been to Le Meridien Bangkok? Share your experiences!