“Excruciatingly and unnecessarily stressful” 1 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #13 of 772 Hotels in Bangkok
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tokyo, Japan
“Excruciatingly and unnecessarily stressful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I felt exploited at Le Meridien. I was assigned a room that stank badly of mildew. I should've realized something was up when the front-desk person enthused about what a great room it was and suggested that I show myself up. I did, and got a powerful whif of the stink as soon as I opened the door. After contemplating whether I could live with the stench for two days, I returned to the front desk, explained the problem and asked to be put into another room. One was ready in 15 minutes.

Seriously, though, a room in such awful condition should never be assigned to a guest at a luxury hotel. Le Meridien needs to clean up its act.

The next problem was getting Internet service, which was included in my room rate. I had made reservations through the SPG site. When I called down to ask how I might get on the Internet without paying twice, I was told that Internet service was not included in my room charge. When I explained that indeed it was, I was again told that, no, it was not, and that I would have to pay again for it.

So I stormed downstairs and embarrassed myself by screaming at the manager, who actually handled my temper with grace. He requested that I prove Internet service was included with my booking, which I did. I should never have had to. Whatever happened to the business adage that the customer is always right? At Le Meridien, it has been replaced by the adage, "The customer is a wallet that needs to be emptied."

Case in point: Two days later, upon checking out, the front desk person again insinuated I was lying and that I would have to pay again for Internet service. She held to this line even after I explained all the trouble I previously had regarding this issue. Only after I lost my temper for a second time in her lobby did she bother to check if I was telling the truth.

In between, there were several other problems with the room. A sink that would not drain. A blow dryer that would only work on low. A refrigerator so full of beer and other over-priced beverages that I could not fit in any of my own convenience store-bought drinks. A key card that worked fine opening the door but refused to work in the elevators, in which guests were going up and down to other guests' floors while trying to get their card to be accepted. Stained carpets. A kingsize bed that was really two old twin mattresses pushed together, each of which had a deep droop to them.

And then there is the neighborhood. It stinks worse than room 2022. In fact, it stinks like [--], of which there is plenty around ... fresh piles on the sidewalks and not-so-fresh piles already stepped in and tracked up and down the sidewalks. While walking down one of these sidewalks on the lookout for some place I could exchange some currency I almost kicked a sleeping dog curled up right in the middle of the sidewalk. Then, upon dodging it, I realized it wasn't a dog but the dirtiest human being I have ever seen.

Knowing this, why would anyone ever want to waste precious vacation days staying in such a squalid neighborhood?

The answer will wake you up at about 2 a.m., when other guests, along with their girlfriends du jour, all of them laughing and hooting, start returning to the hotel from the go-go bars along nearby Patpong. Apparently, Le Meridien offers a girlfriends du jour-friendly policy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Nick_Zilinski, Director – Sales + Marketing at Le Meridien Bangkok, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing with me the difficulties you have experienced during your recent visit to Bangkok. At Le Méridien Bangkok we continuously strive to offer exceptional levels services, which in this case it appears we have failed to deliver.

As I have sent to you an individual email in the meantime, I would appreciate to take the opportunity to discuss these issues further with you. Please feel welcome to contact me back on my personal email address nick.zilinski@lemeridien.com .

With best regards,

Le Méridien Bangkok

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Le Meridien to Celebrate my birthday. It was nice to see that it has maintained it's charm and standards are still very high.
Check in was fast and efficient and the reception is a lot busier than our previous visit.
The only fault we could add, was that the restaurant (which was excellent) has now closed and is now a function room. We felt that the hotel was badly in need of another restaurant as the buffet which we had one evening was not great. There was a real language barrier here also so I hardly ate that evening. (We should speak Thai i know!!)
The bar is still very nice. The rooms are still of an excellent standard and the views of Bangkok are terrific.
I will definately return soon.

Room Tip: Have a Drink and some Satay in the downstairs Cafe Bar and watch the world go by, especially when it...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit at Le Méridien Bangkok.
We truly appreciate your comments and are very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful birthday celebration during your stay with us.

Your highlighted impression on the restaurant visit in the evening has been taken up by our culinary team to ensure that such matter does not occur in the future. Thank you once again for your respected response that allows us to improve our service and be aware of those areas which need further improvements.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit soon.

With kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is the PERFECT hotel for honeymooners and couples. I wouldn't recommend it for children or families as it's not suited to cater for children and keep them busy. The decor and furnishings in the rooms are just beautiful and so unique. 7 of the rooms have round-shaped beds for honeymooners which is very cute. Bathrooms are gorgeous and very modern. Lovely spa & outdoor pool area. Staff are very friendly. Good location, close to markets and restaurants etc. Restaurant is very open and gets the natural light from the large windows every day. Highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

First of all thank you for taking your time to pen a few words on your recent Le Méridien Bangkok experience. We aim to please, whether our guests are here to work, to discover or to celebrate. It is so great to know our stunning Circular rooms, our service levels and the hotel’s facilities as well the location were up to your expectations.

Please come back again soon – Le Méridien Bangkok’s the team will be at your service 24/7.

With best regards,

Long Beach, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at the Le Meridien for 4 nights in early September. The hotel is awesome. It is modern, trendy, very clean, and the staff pamper you. It is located right in the middle of everything. Check out the night market, it is a fun place to shop. I will definitely return to this hotel when I am in BKK again!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. The views are awesome.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

On behalf of the entire team at Le Méridien Bangkok, we thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with us. We are so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your journey, as it is a long way from California to come to us.

Many details and thoughts have gone in to increase the experience of our guest stays. We are glad to hear that our services exceeded your expectation – hence, making your stay a memorable one.

When you do decide to return to Le Méridien Bangkok please let us know, as we will be very happy to oversee a reservation for you.

With kind regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great recognition on Platinum membership benefits. great location. Room are very modern and clean, Breakfast was great. Service is very professional and friendly. I love the swimming pool and it's very relaxing just sitting there reading a book or reading your emails. I would strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade if you are platinum number
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Nick_Zilinski, Director – Sales + Marketing at Le Meridien Bangkok, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

As our valued guest and SPG member, we appreciate your feedback and are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Le Méridien Bangkok.

It is wonderful to know you had taken the pleasure to enjoy the Starwood Preferred Guest benefits for Platinum member, the hotel facilities and our services.

Many details and thoughts have gone in to increasing the experience of our guest stays.
All our team at Le Méridien Bangkok will be delighted to hear your comments and positive feedback.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

With all our very best wishes,

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I really liked the location of the Le Meridien Bangkok. It's only a block from the Patpong Night Market. The Market is very touristy but it's a lot of fun.. Also on each side of the Market are lots of go go clubs. The hotel is fairly new and the room was nice and modern. My only complaint was the bathroom. You could not turn the shower handles without a lot of force and when I used my bare hands the handles would dig into my hands. It's a terrible design and for this reason I would not stay at the hotel again. Also, the toilets are low flow and you have to flush them several times to get them to work.. Another big negative.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick_Zilinski, Director – Sales + Marketing at Le Meridien Bangkok, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

May I thank you for taking the time to leave a review. First of all, it is good to hear that you enjoyed our room decoration and the convenient location. However, we are sorry for your inconvenience for the bathroom and we have discussed your feedback with our engineer team to improve on this difficulty.

We will be sure to relay your sentiments to the team and rest assured, your concerns will be addressed.

With Kind Regards,

München
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are big and very clean. It has a great Meridien standard with the friendliness of Asian personal. The best of the best is the breakfast!!!!

The hotel is not very big, so you don't feel in the crowded city. The concierge has very good tips, on how to get to the tourist attractions not missing any experience

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Sincere thanks for taking the time to share your experiences during your recent journey to Bangkok. Creating our guest’s stay more pleasurable, by assisting them in any queries or making plan for visiting local attraction, is our passion. It is also brilliant to hear you enjoyed our Le Méridien Signature Breakfast and our personal services.

Thank you again for your kind feedback. We will definitely share your comments with the rest of the team.

We hope to welcome you again during your next visit to Bangkok.

With Kind Regards,

Le Méridien Bangkok

Been to Le Meridien Bangkok? Share your experiences!