“An oasis of luxury in the middle of madness” 4 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40/5 Surawong Road, Bangkok 10500, Thailand (Old City)   |
Ranked #17 of 750 hotels in Bangkok
Perth
“An oasis of luxury in the middle of madness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I have stayed twice in the last 12 months - both times in a Speciality Room on the 20 something floor. This is a great hotel. All the 5 star luxury you want - lovely rooms, large modern bathrooms and Meridien facilities you expect. There's nothing like walking in from shopping and touring then diving into the pool - cool, modern and chic. The rooms come with free drinks from 5:30 for 2 hours. Great place to start the night with friends either in the Foyer or Bamboo Bar. Walk outside to restaurants, bars and Patpong are a stones throw away. Japanese Street offers amazing food, Patpong the markets and bars. Taxi's are there all night and easy cheap ride to Sukhumvit - easier than walking to the MRT. Breakie is a huge smorgasbord and worth it for at least one morning if you can eat all the food. Riverside hotels close by - you'll be surprised what else is near. If you love all that Bangkok has to offer this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Speciality room with round beds is ok and different to sleep on - get the Club deal with breakie and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

1,803 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
The Hague
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

[Mediocre: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance; ordinary, so-so]

Three years ago I stayed at Le Méredien. It was a wonderful experience. Nice atmosphere, good food, great staff, modern architecture, the place to be - a trendy hotel indeed. Nowadays: a downgraded tourist joint. How did it all go wrong?

Having travelled extensively throughout the world for many years, both for business and leisure, I feel entitled to speak out for fellow travellers and hotel-enthousiasts on Tripadvisor. A great way to share knowledge and give kind but firm advice about the places we all go to.

As for Le Méredien, I can tell you I was shocked to see how they downgraded this place, even after a couple of years. They downgraded their services. They downgraded the room ameneties. They downgraded the food, the menu's. Their signature restaurant vanished entirely! They only serve buffetstyle food all day round and a small mediocre menu remains. Not to mention the winelist which also evaporated; what's left is a bunch of average wines by the glass.
Most painfully, one might conclude: Le Meredien downgraded their own brand, which used to be a guarantee for quality.

It's a well know fact that some hotels start of their business in the highest fashion to lure customers; once the business is up and running, they start minimalizing their services while keeping up their prices. To satisfy their stockholders who want a swift and robust return on their investment. And they think they can get away with it. Not for me they can't.

You can make a fool out of a customer once; after that, he will do it with you for the rest of his life. This will happen when I encounter a hotel that does this to its customers, everytime I see it. And I sure did see it at Le Méredien.

They used to have music in the elevator that was especially designed for the hotel. Now it's Destiny's Child. They had great loungemusic in the restaurant and throughout the hotel. Now it's old hits by Madonna and No Doubt. Yes, No Doubt. Even Michael Jackson (who, I presume, nowadays looks like he used to look in the musicvideo of 'Thriller') comes around. Don't be suprised if you wake up by the sound of Take That in the morning - they play the music rather loud on the speakers near your hotelroom. They changed the music but not the volume. How's that for stupidity?

You used to feel special al Le Meredien. These are days gone by. I had to stand in line with a herd of package tourists for the elevator. And did I see a farang with a hooker in the foyer, coming out of the hotel? Yes, I certainly did. How low can you go.

I don't mind changes, not at all. If they are for the better. Watching a nice hotel go down the drain for a fist full of bahts is not an improvement.

Le Meredien Bangkok pretends to be something it isn't anymore. I feel pity for the staff who still do their utmost best, but deep in their hearts know they've seen better days. You can see it in their eyes, too.

The bottomline: if you're in for a great hotel-experience, if you're a traveller, a seasoned businessman, if you like genuine quality - skip Le Meredien Bangkok. If you're a tourist on a package-tour, you'll love the place.

If the management comments on this review - I gladly invite them to do so - let them at least have the honesty an decency to admit they downgraded their hotel and lowered their standard from trendy boutique to touristy chique.

Seeing Le Meredien after three years is a bit like the sleazy shows two hundred meters further down the road at Pathpong: you know it's there but you don't want to see it.

Maybe, after all, Le Meredien got infected by their surroundings?

Room Tip: Don't stay on the lower floors. The guard with the whistle on the street in front of the hotel w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We loved our room with the round bed. This hotel was very nice and the breakfast was the best on our 2 week trip across SE Asia! I was a huge fan of the neighborhood - right across from the red light district, but the hotel made up for that! :D

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
LeMeridienBKK, Director – Sales + Marketing at Le Meridien Bangkok, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

May we thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your experiences.

It’s great to hear you enjoyed your visit with us and treated your taste buds by joining our Le Méridien Signature Breakfast.

We hope to welcome you again during your next visit to Bangkok.

With all our very best wishes,

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I loved this hotel. Absolutely deserves it's 5 star rating. It cost about the same as what I would pay for a 3 star hotel in Australia, service was fantastic, interior design of the hotel, the lobby and rooms was really cool.

The fitness centre was fantastic, had 24 hour access, free water bottles etc.

My only complaint was that I had to pay for WIFi/ Internet access, for a 5 star hotel, this should be free.

I was in town for only an evening was just in transit. I went for a walk around in the streets nearby to get dinner, found a great Thai restaurant which only cost a few dollars for a great meal. Only thing to be cautious of is the random dodgy sales people... those trying to sell fake/illegal items, 'ping pong' shows etc.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Le Méridien Bangkok has indeed a unique design and ambiance. We are very proud to hear that you liked these elements that contribute to our identity.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

With all our very best wishes,

New Delhi, Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The location was so convinent for shopping the rooms were awesome had a superb time with family and looking forward to more.
Purpose Of Travel:Leisure - Family
SPG:Platinum
From:Dubai
MONTH OF ARRIVAL:
December 2011
Not just a hotel, it's like home with all taking care of you
December 30, 2011
Although this is the 45th time I visit this hotel, the last two visits in December where exceptional.
New General manager is in charge and a personal greeting with full care of my needs were given by him.
The last trip was for medical reasons for my wife, the care we got, the attention to the smallest need of her after her operation, the quick response and action they took when she got tiered at night and the staff insuring the Hotel doctor arriving ASAP and then attending to getting the medication, the food specially cooked and all our needs, makes me feel this is better than staying home as we are more taken care of here.
The personal check on our needs in such time by the GM and the night duty manager and staff exceeded any expectations.
As a 5 star hotel, it's exceptional always by it's facilities and hospitality and the quality of rooms and services, but this time, they showed me how they can take care of me as a family.
I thank the GM and the staff for all what they have done to us in those 7 days.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This a nice property with comfortable and modern suites, but I wish that it was buit on the Chao Praya river. The service and buffets were also good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Just had another couple of one-night stays at this hotel. It is a favourite of mine.

Right at the top of what this brand has to offer, it really feels like a high-end boutique property. In my view, it is an excellently run hotel with truly good staff - which I think adds as much to the experience as the high quality of the property itself.

I've reviewed the hotel before, and every thing that I said then still applies. But it's worth highlighting that the breakfast experience is right at the top of what Starwood properties in Bangkok offer. And, although there is no club lounge, SPG Platinum members are treated well, with evening cocktails in the stylish bar and a dedicated area for breakfast.

I've lost count of the times I've stayed here but it's always a pleasure to return!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

On behalf of the entire team at Le Méridien Bangkok, we thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Many details and thoughts have gone in to increase the experience of our guest stays.

At Le Méridien Bangkok, we pride ourselves in delivering to our guests personalized services and to satisfy their every need. We are pleased that you were able to experience this first hand.

We would like to share your comments among our service team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Le Méridien Bangkok very soon.

With Kind Regards,

Le Méridien Bangkok

Been to Le Meridien Bangkok? Share your experiences!