“viva mexicana!~” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #161 of 7,810 restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Inside the small sub soi that houses Cheap Charlies. Use either entrance - opposite Villa or opposite Ambassador Hotel.
mumbai india
“viva mexicana!~”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

good mexican food, attractive prices for the margaritas. pretty decent sized portions, but thought that the staff could be a little more helpful with the ordering so that one can avoid repetition in the dishes. nice environment and pretty ok mexican food. thought that the prices were a little high but i guess, that foreign foods would be expensive anywhere...

Visited April 2013
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Loonytraveller,

Many thanks for the great review - the staff and I are always pleased to read we've done well.

I browsed through some of your other reviews and found myself agreeing with your reviews of other venues in Thailand and Vietnam.

We have two menus to help you make you choices; firstly the placemat menu which is on the table when you are seated. And secondly we have a digital photo-menu that contains pictures of all our dishes, the prices and meat/fish/vegetarian symbols. I think that one would suit you better.

The prices are subjective. As we've seen from previous reviews, some people think our food is reasonably priced and others find the opposite. One issue that seems to be relevant is that because the Thai baht is so strong at present (its highest for 16 years), prices seem higher when calculated back into Dollars, Euros or Rupees.

Thanks once more for the review and hope we see you here again some time on your 'loony travels'.

80% Recommend
Singapore, Singapore
“excellent Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed in Bangkok in 2008-2010 and I was almost a weekly guest. Great Mexican food, very nice staff and good surroundings.
Highly recommendable.
When I visit BKK I try to squize in a visit and last time was in start of 2013..

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear JSvenningsen,

Thanks for the review - it's always nice to hear from regular guests who have shown such loyalty.

We hope to continue for many more years to come and look forward to serving you whenever you are back in Bangkok.

Rayong, Thailand
“Delicious food and sangria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Really liked the location just off Soi 11. Lovely vibe and the service was great. Would definitely eat here again.

Visited April 2013
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Minxy22

We're glad you enjoyed your visit here and hope you manage to drop by again sometime soon.

I have to say, my current staff is the best I've ever had and I'm very pleased with them all.

Bangkok, Thailand
“GOOD FOOD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

With the untimely closing of the other good Mexican restaurant, Coyote, this has become the place to go for Mexican food in the Sukhumvit area. The food is good, the service is attentive, the prices are reasonable. I had the pork tacos of the hard shell variety and they were tasty. Excellent condiments are on the tables. I didn't have any alcohol but my party seemed to enjoy their pitcher of margaritas immensely! So all in all, this is a good restaurant with good prices and good food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear Bobobirdiebuddy,

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to write a review for us. And we're happy to have provided you with a new place to get Mexican food.

We were surprised to see Coyotes close - there's normally a rumour or two, but we heard nothing. Although it's sad to see any business close, we're keeping our fingers crossed for some more converts such as yourself.

It's not clear why you didn't try the margaritas, but unless you're a teetotaller, I recommend you give them a go next time - especially the passionfruit ones. (Oh and my sangria is awesome too!)

Charley.
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Super Mexican Food in Bangkok!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I love Charley Brown's. Their australian beef and spicy shredded chicken are both wonderful and you cannot beat their margarita's and they are reasonably priced for the quality. I will be back as often as I can get over to Sukhumvit Soi 11. I wish they had more seating but have not been away yet. Service is very friendly and attentive, too. I highly recommend it. I would also like to see them have a website with their hours/holidays posted or have a recording on their answering machine. I recently noticed they don't open until 5pm or so on Mondays (when I tried to go there for lunch).

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear BryJen

Your review was very appreciated - I make sure I show all the staff the reviews, whether positive or negative.

Regarding the website - we actually DO have a website but it is currently down due to a server issue, it should be back up and running soon. In addition we have a Facebook page that is more current as we can update it so easily.

As far as more seating is concerned, we are currently looking for new premises - I just spent the whole day wandering around taking photos of empty shops. We don't really want a characterless franchise, so if/when we open somewhere new, it definitely won't be a carbon copy of Charley Brown's in Sukhumvit Soi 11 - its personality will be dictated by its location.

Charley.