“Welcome to taiwan!” 5 of 5 stars

Taipei, Taiwan
Singapore
“Welcome to taiwan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

It's a definite place to visit if you are looking for warm hearted people and good food. People are mostly nice.. Just enjoying interacting with the old folks, they are more than willing to entertain you.

Food are unique and good!! Yummy.. Especially the Lu Rou Fan!! A must try!!

Well, you can visit my blog at http://backfromoverseas.blogspot.com/ to have a look at all the photos that i have taken. Maybe u might want to pay a visit to them. They are mostly unique places.

Well, u may contact me if you want to know more about the places. I am most willing to share my experience. :)

Rio Vista, California
“Hooray for Top Ramen!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

The weather was very nice. It was "winter" so the temp. was in the low to mid 70s. We stayed at a beautiful five star luxury hotel, The Shangri La. It was located at the heart of the city's business district, and our room had a great view. Our Chinese family friends, who travel overseas often, hooked us up with a good deal.
Just before our stay in Taiwan, dog meat was outlawed....Heh, ew. And I had heard that monkey meat was quite common. The only sign I could read was 7 Eleven, and they sold Top Ramen. I knew that was safe. So I only ate at the hotel (everything was labeled in English, and I don't think I ate any meat) and the 7 Eleven. Hehe, didn't want to take any chances eating meat from a place I couldn't read anything or speak the same language as anyone.
If I were to visit again, I would research the area, and languages spoken there first, and I would go back.

Newcastle Australia
“Taipei overall is a great place to visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

We were worried about a reputed air pollution problem in Taipei as it is situated in a valley. This city is where the motor car/scooter reigns supreme, with motorways dividing the city and dominating the scenery below the 101 Tower. Seven lanes wide in each direction in one area. 4 people on one motor scooter is a common sight and 6 has been reported. If you have safely negotiated the Arc de Triomphe in Paris by car then you have the necessary qualification to drive here - nerves of steel. There is however, absolutely no road rage as we know it. The people are really friendly and accepting of tourists. Shopping is cheap in the back streets and vendors are honest in the main, we found no attempt at fleecing tourists. The advertised price is what you pay and haggling is as foreign to them as tipping, which is viewed as Westerners with too much money. A cab ride is merely a business transaction so a tip is unnecessary. The American Club is a Western oasis in the orient where you can get your Western fix if required. Seven 11s are on every 2nd corner. McCafe and Starbucks abound. Safe to walk everywhere so enjoy.

Miami
“Taipei- The best eats in the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

We just got back from our vacation in Taipei, Taiwan. We had a great time and here are the highlights of the city's sights and things to do:

Airport- Taipei's TaoYuan airport is located approximately 45 minutes away from Taipei city. To get into the city, you can take either taxi or bus. Bus is very cheap and they have lines running frequently.

Transportation- You can get around Taipei very easily. During our trip, we used taxi, Metro, bus and railway and found all of them to be extremely convenient and efficient. The cheapest and fasted by far is the Metro, which is relatively easy to understand. All signs and stops are announced in both Chinese and English and people are very friendly and helpful when directions are needed. For taxi and railway, it is helpful to bring along directions. To go south of Taipei, railway and High Speed Rail are both efficient, although the latter is by far faster but more expensive.

Taipei's EasyCard (yo yo card) for the Metro Line- Does it get any easier than this? If you plan on traveling via the Metro, you may want to consider purchasing an Easy Card. The card can be purchased with minimum 500 TWD. The card is then activated and can be used at all stations as well as many major transit sponsored rides (like the MaoKong Gondola). When you are through with your trip, you can simply return the card to the station attendant, who will reimburse you the balance left on the card.

Shopping Department Stores- Taipei has numerous department stores. You will find many large stores such as the SOGO department chain (located on Fuxing Road) where they carry both medium and high end brands. Customer service at all stores are overall very good. Most of the major stores all have english labels as well. Also important to note is that most major department stores have basement food courts. These basement food courts are a great place to go to find a large selection of lunch/dinner selections.

Night Markets- Taipei has an array of night markets--a place to go for great food, clothes, games and a variety of other things. On this trip, we visited the Tung Hua night market and several other smaller markets. The key thing to remember is to go there with an empty stomach! There are so many food and snack stands that you can literally eat your way through. Prices are so cheap--they run about $.50 to $2.00 USD depending on the type of food. We also bought shoes, clothes and small trinkets. Some prices are negotiable for items like clothes but overall, the price is as stated. The night markets begin around 8:00 and end at around 3:00.

Day Markets- Day markets abound in Taipei! They are literally at every major street alley and you can most likely stumble upon them without even trying. Day markets are also great for grabbing a bite. Early day markets begin at around 6:00am and consist mostly of fresh vegetables, produce, fruits, meats, snacks, etc.. Most of the famous night markets serve as day markets as well.

Some places we visited:

MaoKong Gondola- The MaoKong Gondola was an enjoyable ride along Taipei's mountains in the Muzha Taipei Zoo district. The gondola makes 4 stops and can be accessed easily by taking the Metro Muzha line to the Taipei Zoo station. Once off, simply walk to the Gondola station. Be prepared to wait--on the day we went, it was a weekday and raining but we still waited about 1 hour in line. The gondola ride itself it about 20 minutes from the first stop to the last. On the last stop, once you get off, you can take a stroll through the moutains and have tea/coffee at many of the coffee/tea houses as well as snacks and good eats.
Another option is to grab the public bus going up and take the gondola back down or vice versa.

ShenKeng--famous for their "stinky tofu" and "gau", ShenKeng is a small village known for a famous street dubbed" LaoJie " (Old Road) where you can take a stroll with the mobs and eat good food. There are many restuarants along the way and you can grab lunch as well.

Window on China theme park- located in Taoyuan, this theme park carries the second-largest collection of miniature structures in the world. They display minatures from Taiwan and China, both ancient and modern, with a large number of buildings from other parts of the world as well. Its attractions are divided into several sections. In addition, they also have a separate section of the park with rides and arcades for children.

Wulai Village- located in the Xindien area, we made our way to Wulai by taking the MRT to Xindien station and then catching the bus to Wulai. Once there, you make your way through a tourist street and then have a variety of choices to go about exploring Wulai. We attended a Aboriginal Dance show, took the small cable car and explored some of the village by foot. There were beautiful landscapes and waterfalls and many of the people were seen enjoying the river.

Danshui-- a fishing village and popular places to visit for a daytime trip. We accessed Danshui through the Metro on the Danshui line, getting off at Danshui. We enjoyed good Sun Cakes, and enjoyed watching the water. Further down Danshui, you can also visit a famous Spanish fort, but it is quite a distance.

Jiu Fen- By far the most beautiful and breathtaking scenery we experienced. Jiu Fen was a former gold mining village that later and now has become a tourist town. Jiu Fen sits alongside Keelung and is known for it's hilltop , tiered structure. We visited the village at about sunset and could not get enough of the spectacular views. Although it is accesible by bus, we were fortunate enough to have a relative drive us up the moutain. The streets are filled with food and gift vendors and many restaurants which sit edge side, so that you can sit on the terrace and catch the view while sipping some local tea. Jiu Fen is great for strolls, and you can climb from one tier to another while admiring the quaint residences.

Overall, we had a wonderful time in Taipei and this review is just a small portion of a very beautiful country, filled with lots to do and see. Taipei is a fast paced, friendly and modern city that accomodates to singles, couples and families whether you are Taiwanese, American or from any other country. If you do go to Taipei, remember to pack good walking shoes and an empty stomach--you will put both to good use!!

Ha Noi
“Vegetarian's Heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2007

As soon as I arrived in Taipei on a Saturday afternoon when i was 16, my friend Suki picked me up at the airport and we went to a vegetarian restaurant, where I had my most favourite hotpot, which you will only find in Taiwan.
Last time we chatted, Suki said: I have a headache because I don’t know where I can find vegetarian restaurants for you. You know, I really like to eat meat.

But when we date she said: I’ve become a vegetarian and there are many vegetarian restaurants, even around where I live.

All of a sudden, there were lots of vegetarian restaurants wherever we went. The food in these restaurants was very delicious and not expensive at all.

I got the impression that vegetarian food is very popular in Taipei. There are two types of vegetarians there: One is the “professional vegetarian”- the Buddhists, who don’t even eat the five spices; the other one is the “convenient vegetarian”, who doesn’t eat meat but does eat the five spices and doesn’t mind the vegetables being cooked in the pot where the meat was cooked before.

Even when we couldn’t find a vegetarian restaurant, we bought a bowl of vegetarian noodle soup and ate on the street. Suki apologized to me: Sorry to make you come such a long way just to eat instant noodle soup.

Me: Why? The soup tastes better than the best food we have in the university canteen! Eating on the street gives the flavour of travelling!

She smiled very sweetly.

And Tearoom on top of the mountain

My friend Thai suggested to me to go to the mountaintop for a cup of fragrant Taipei tea, so I suggested it to Suki and she said: I was already thinking of going there with you!

This is called telepathy!

So we went up to the top of a mountain nearby where they have very stylish tearooms that are decorated very traditionally like in the films and you can sit on the floor (a bit of a Japanese flavour).

I asked her: Why are you supposed to put a slim cup inside the fat one?

Suki: You keep the tea inside the slim one for a while and pour it out into the fat one, then you can smell the fragrance of the tea from the slim one before drinking.

Me: And why put the tea leaves around the pot?

Suki: To keep the tea warm.

Me: I see!

So, with the gorgeous view from the mountaintop on a dazzling day, we spent a few happy hours together in the company of a cup of fragrant tea.

Been to Taipei? Share your experiences!