“Many Visits - Average Overall” 3 of 5 stars
Review of brass monkey bar and restaurant

brass monkey bar and restaurant
166 Fushing N. Road, Taipei, Taiwan
Improve this listing
Ranked #503 of 8,935 restaurants in Taipei
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Taipei, Taiwan
“Many Visits - Average Overall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had visited the Brass Monkey in Taipei several times (at least 5), both solo and with friends. So, please take my review as a fair overview of the establishment.

In brief, the major positive draws of Brass Monkey is the location, the decor and atmosphere. The establishment is located in a very convenient location in Taipei, served by major transit. The establishment is successful at creating a "sports bar", though some may find it too "gringo". The management might be attempting a "Hooters"-like place, with the success only for the reader to judge for him (or her) self.

The major negatives are the food and drink and the staff and service. Don't come expecting great, friendly service or for winning food.

On previous visits, this establishment does serve average to good food on regular nights (when the kitchen is operating). I sampled several of the items here such as the seafood pizza, and cheese sticks. All are essentially average to slightly above average. Nothing exceedingly phenomenal but also not bad.

The most recent visit was to watch a match of the London 2012 Olympics for some R&R solo. So, I arrived at approximately 12 AM, still match time of the night. It was also a Wednesday night, a "Steak Night" of the establishment.

Curiously though, the regular food menu (forget about the steak) is not available, only a short "Olympic Menu", sure, so far so good. "I could order something from the Olympic menu. Not too bad." I think to myself.

The menu consisted of the likes of spaghetti (which I ordered). Popcorn chicken with salad, fries, popcorn... finger food.

I ordered a serving of spaghetti and fries. The spaghetti, highly likely to be 100% microwave frozen spaghetti, arrived in a North American take-out style paper box, while the fries seemed to have been rescued from the leftovers.

Seriously, it was bad, but not 100% inedible. Being hungry, I still dug in.

At 410 NTD for my order though, it wasn't worth it.

By the end of the short Taekwondo match, I was asked by a member of the staff (seemingly the supervisor) if I intended on staying for another session of the Olympic games, and if I was, what precise hour. I didn't have the schedule in my head, so I could not produce an immediate answer. A bit unfriendly in my perception.

A bit of small-talk, a short self-introduction could have gone a long way, and accomplished the exact objectives. Perhaps from me too.

Maybe it was because I was solo.

Next, I got up and left.

This is a great place to go for a quick meet-up with friends. But don't come expecting to be overwhelmed by incredibly friendly staff or great food.

Would I come here again? I can only say maybe.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

53% Recommend
Taipei, Taiwan
“A place to have fun!!! Everytime...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The best sports' bar in town!!! Lady's Night on Thursdays: can't miss it!! The staff it is very attentive (specially the Senior ones).
Great bar, great atmosphere!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arnhem, Netherlands
“Enthousiastic personel, lovely lasagna!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

When you enter the Brass Monkey you will get a big welcome from the waitresses. We ate the burger (so-so) and the lasagna (very good!).

Visited December 2011
Lexington, Massachusetts
“Usually a good time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Shows a lot of sports on a lot of TVs, sometimes gets pretty crowded. Has decent selection of drinks, some a bit overpriced, some normal. Some of the food is quite good, other food not so good. Service is generally good, sometimes mediocre.
Usually it shows what its website says it will show, though occasionally it hasn't which is real annoying. Haven't gone to any of its party nights but those are said to be fun.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Awesome Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Staff are very friendly, speak English, have lots of TV's and show all sports. They have Theme nights that are a lot of fun.

all in all just a friendly bar.

Visited October 2011