“Worse hotel stay ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Friends Yo Lai Regency

Friends Yo Lai Regency
You added Friends Yo Lai Regency to your Saves list
Friends Yo Lai Regency
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.23-1 Shuang Cheng Street, Zhongshan District, Taipei 104, Taiwan   |
Ranked #307 of 467 Hotels in Taipei
Asia
“Worse hotel stay ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I am writing this letter first thing I touch down to Singapore due to the urgency and would like to express my greatest displeasure regarding my hotel stay in Taipei. This is the first time my wife-to-be and I are going to Taipei and is indeed a privilege to have such an encounter.

We were on a 8 days 7 nights trip for a wedding photoshoot and would like to experience the well-known Taiwanese warmth. We stayed with Yo-lai hotel located at NO.23-1 ,SHUANG CHENG STREET , TAIPEI , TAIWAN , R.O.C for 7 nights and even upgraded our room to one of the top few range to show our support, furthermore, we did not have nasty requests as we would like a pleasant stay. On the day of check-in, the hotel requested us to pay the full amount; we gladly obeyed to pay all in cash.

It turned out otherwise. The room as no Wi-Fi as it claims and the room was smoky each time we came back to the hotel. To make matter worse, on the last day of stay, the hotel charged us for over-stay. First of all, we were not informed on any check-out timing throughout the 8 days of stay. I then requested to speak to the manager to explain to him; he ended up demanding me to pay the penalty and threaten me that he will cancel the transport to airport. He hang up my call very rudely without even discussing with me personally. Feeling helpless, I requested from the service counter if I can call my bridal studio located in Taipei for advise and the service officer shove me off to use a public pay-phone.

I hope you can understand the helplessness we felt as a first-timer to Taipei and is this how a tourist should be treated? Is it the kind of service we should receive? My wife and I were indeed very upset over the whole incident and sincerely hope we can get an answer/ good explanation from the top management.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

Great hotel!

Budget to the max. But still worth it. 3 and a half star. free breakfast at the top floor. We stayed for 10 days. Cheap laundry just a stone throw down the hotel. 7 eleven down the road. And A NIGHTMARKET just down the road which serves great great food! there's bubble tea stalls too and a soya bean snack store!

We absolutely loved this hotel despite it being a lil run down. the lobby is small but cosy. The staff are great EXCEPT the grumpy females. The male manager and senior staff (usually takes night shift) is extremely helpful, will help u to research the places you want to go and give you the map. FREE airport transfer to and fro too. and free once a day 'hotel will fetch you to anywhere within the city' trip. awesome!

Hotel is far from the train station but taking a taxi is real cheap and safe.

GREAT HOTEL!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

1. i book direct with the hotel its cheaper a little husttle due to their computer system but it went well its better to email them for reservation
2. a very good average hotel
3. it may be far from mrt but they give a free roundtrip ride everyday
we avail of 1 ride in the morning and we walk to hotel from mrt at night its a long walk but were on vacation so its ok with me
4. staff speak english and accomodating especially a senior guy at the counter
5 for budget traveller try this you will not regret
6. i take time to write this review because i dont see much reviews about friends yo lai
7. hopefully the next time i go back to their hotel they dont increase their hotel rate due to good reviews

• Liked — the whole hotel itself had a very good average quality
  • Disliked — the area is far
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

We arraged with the hotel direct without making any advance payment. Three of us stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. Its def beyond my expectation. First we engaged their private airport pick-up service for NT1100 one way, when we return, they offered to send us FOC! Plus they provide daily transport to n from hotel to anywhere in the taipei city with their private car (FOC as well)but with advance booking.
The room is spacious, clean, equipped with hair dryer, kettle, internet wireless, LCD TV etc.. not that I can complain about except the bed is very hard but surprisingly it wasnt destruct our sleeps at all (surprise). Clean bathroom with bathtub with complete set of toilettries.

Overall, we got more than what we expected. I would rate it a 3& 1/2 star hotel but I def will recommend to my friends, def will come back again.

• Liked — clean bathroom, clean towel, clean bedroom
  • Disliked — very firm bed
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Friends Yo Lai Regency? Share your experiences!