“I enjoyed my visit” 4 of 5 stars

Visit like an insider
Top Rated
$95*
and up
Pingxi Day Trip From Taipei: Old Pingxi Railway...
Ranked #20 of 306 things to do in Taipei
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Pass by farms and small rural villages outside of Taipei on this railway. A relaxing and scenic escape from the bustle of the city.
All Over...
22 attraction reviews
“I enjoyed my visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I used the train on two days and I would have used it more if time permitted. I visited Pingxi, Shifen and Houtong. I loved Pingxi, the people were so kind there. A lovely little area full of ambience. There is a nice yet tiny art gallery/postcard shop with lovely postcards made by the owner. I bought a lot of them, and there is even space right there in the shop to write your postcard, get stamps and send it off right there. Aside from strolling around the streets, I made a giant lantern and set it off into the sky. Shifen was similar to Pingxi, just a little more crowded. I spent more than half a day in Pingxi, that I only had an hour or so to spend in Shiften before sunset. So I just walked along the railway and took some pics and visited the local stores. The next day, I returned for a half a day visit of Houtong, the cat village. I really loved it there with all these cats. You can get delicious bubble tea at all these places. Bring a notebook or so, as you can get free stamps at each of these places. I wish I had more time, I would of visited the Shifen waterfall and Jingdong stop. All in all, some great traditional places, that will have you relaxed.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
6 attraction reviews
“A nice railway trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Though the schedules of the trains were not as frequent as urban trains, it should not be a problem if you went there in a relaxed manner and pace. There are two trains running both directions, one with three compartments and one with two. The trains are clean, with lavatory inside. In my opinion, it's better to visit Shifen first, then to Ping Hsi, walking to Chin Tung, and then getting back to Rui Fang. The experience is really amazing. Highly recommended.

SIN
17 attraction reviews
“Worth the trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

If you have a day to spare in Taiwan, the trip to Ping Hsi is well worth it. Along the way to Ping Hsi, you can hop off the train and visit other sites such as the Cat Village. The trip to Ping Hsi is not complete without flying those lovely laterns. One latern goes for 200TWD I think. We went on a weekend and the trains were packed! So consider going on a weekday if you're not into crowds.

Taipei, Taiwan
“Come here at flying lantern Festival”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The flying lantern festival is held during lunar new year annually. You can write your wishes on the lantern and fly your wishes to God. When seeing flying lanterns covering night sky, heart will feel touched deeply.

Visited January 2012
Shanghai, China
53 attraction reviews
“Homely and Peaceful Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This Railway lines passes a town, which has some local shops that sells local food. There is also a tradiction where you can write your wish on a lantern, and allows it to "fly" into they sky. Most places will not allow this due to fire hazard.

This town also sells fireworks, so you can experience the opportunity of setting off the fireworks.

Visited August 2012