“Some of the best Indian food in Taipei, clean bathrooms, clean food, great tasting!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Saffron Fine Indian Cuisine

Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Went here for the first time during a weekend. The food was really good, some of the best Indian food we have had in Taiwan.

We ordered the following:

Gosht Rogan Josh which is a lamb curry dish.

Murgh Tikka Masala which is a chicken curry dish.

There was very little fat on any of the pieces of meat. The lamb was incredible tender. My only complaint is that the curry sauce was a bit watery, difficult to stick to the naan, but nevertheless very tasty.

Please note both of these curry dishes are with mild curry flavor, don't expect something very very curry tasting, they were just right for us, and with mild spiciness. They weren’t that hot, but still enough to let you know it has spice in them. If you want them hotter, yo probably need to tell them.

During this we ordered 4 naan. You will need this for two people if you plan to eat the sauce with the curry dishes.

We then ordered a plate of Methi Palak, which is a minced spinach dish, no curry here, but the flavors were great. It’s like mush, but must eat it with naan or Roomala Roti.

We also had one of those Mango yogurt lassi drinks, very good, a must if you are eating spicy food too. And we had two Indian teas made hot. The hot tea takes awhile, so order this first, they need time to prepare it and heat it up.

The entire bill came to about NT$2000 for two people, but well worth it, and plenty of food, we were full because of all the naan we ate.

We will be going back here, but because it’s up north in the Tien-mu area, it’s a little bit not convenient. This place is in an alley just off of Tien Mu East Road right near the Mitsukoshi department store.

Service was good, though they are busy so you might have to wait for your food a little bit, as everyone makes reservations and actually show up on time so sometimes food comes out a bit slow. Make sure you order enough naan as it takes awhile to cook it and you definitely want it with your curry dishes.

I will also say that almost 24 hours later, no problems with the food at all, neither of us got sick, the restaurant is extremely clean! The bathrooms are some of the cleanest I have ever seen in Taipei. I will say the food is very clean. I once ate at Alibaba’s downtown and both me and my customer, who is Indian, got extremely ill. I will never go back there. But the Saffron is clean, and the food is delicious! If you want good Indian food come here.

The menu is available from Facebook, just do a Google search for Saffron Taipei.
Any questions feel free to message me.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Taipei
“Great Indian Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I am from England, where ironically the national dish is curry! So finding a place in Taipei that can live up to curry houses in England is a hard task. Saffron's is the closets place to home I have found. The dishes are a little more refined than other curry places in Taipei. The naan bread is a must order. A chef in the front of the restaurant makes it in view. It is tearable and soft, perfect. I also thought the saffron rice was cooked perfectly. We ordered the 'methi pakora' as a starter, because it was recommended. I'd never had it before but I liked a lot and is a new favourite. The waiter recommended the mango lassi drink, so we got that and it was amazing! We then ordered the chicken tandoori, (murgh nawabi tandoori) which had a lot of nice flavours. We also ordered the lamb rogan josh, which had a nice heat, and my only criticism was the meat was a fattier than I am used to. The poppadoms brought to the table as we sat down, was a nice touch, but without mango chutney! If they had mango chutney as a dip/sauce, I would have been completely in love. I also thought overall the meal was a bit on the dry side and would have loved more sauce to dip naan in and coat the rice with, but maybe we should have opted for a more saucey dish than the tandoori. Overall I was very impressed with Saffrons. On our return we will make reservations. We were lucky to get a table because we got there very early. After 7pm it was completely full with reservations/bookings.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Taipei, Taiwan
“Definitely a must-do in Taipei”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Excellent food, with immense choice of traditional indian cuisine, very proffessional and attentive staff.
They will provide you with very good recommendations and will arrange special mixed starters for your table to make sure you can experience the full range.
Nice wine selection and atmosphere.
Excellent value for the price: you would expect to pay twice the price given the food, presentation, decoration and staff quality for such a place in Taipei.
My favorite indian restaurant was in London so far, but Saffron definitely tops it for me.

Make sure to book your table before going.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Best Tikka Masala”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I know one does not go to Taipei for Indian food, but this place was great. The Tikka Masala was excellent. The aubergine dish was also fantastic. It should be on the must go list.

Visited November 2012
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Well deserved position as one of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I would recommend that you book a table as this place as it does seem to fill up quickly. The food is to a very good standard and the service is fast and very friendly :-) be aware that this place closes at 22:00hrs. You can see the chief prepare the starters and the nan in a glass room at the front of the restaurant. The nan are fresh and light and quite frankly I could have eaten them all night :-) overall a great eating experience and service to boot. This is the only Indian restaurant I will go too if I get to go to Taiwan again :-)

• Visited October 2012