“Improvements but Resting on Laurels” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Taipei

You added Grand Hyatt Taipei to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Taipei
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.2 Song Shou Road, Xinyi District, Taipei 110, Taiwan (Xinyi District)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #28 of 446 Hotels in Taipei
Hong Kong
“Improvements but Resting on Laurels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Update

I stay here as it's a leading Taipei Hotel, a known commodity and part of a large international chain.

The location could not be better if you want the Xinyi District in central Taipei.

Rooms

Over the past year the rooms have undergone extensive renovations. The new look is much improved as otherwise as a hotel it was showing it's age. The rooms however aren't especially big; the ceilings aren't lofty.

There are now many mood lighting options. Blinds - electronic and roman, control incoming light. This is all the more important if your room has a south--easterly aspect, with a view of the 101 Tower across the road.

The new look is co-ordinated, slick and polished. Sliding doors, purpose built cabinets and bathroom consoles. I think it all works very well.

The bright red cabinets - inside and outside - might also not be an accident, or an attempt in funkiness to keep up with the W Hotel, rather it's probably more to do with Feng Shui, and keeping the ghosts at bay - red the colour for happiness in Chinese cultural thinking is the one colour that wards off evil - see spirit tales below.

Gym

It has to be one of the best gyms and Japanese style spas that I have been to, with multiple fitness areas. The gym has been redone in blonde oak feel and has multiple rooms - weights, cardio and yoga.

Spirit Tales

As you may be aware, Cheers is a great bar for after-work drinks and spirits.

You might also be aware from local folk-lore about the Grand Hyatt. It's built on the former Taipei Municipal Cemetery and what were "killing fields" during wartime occupation.

The graves were moved like in the "Poltergeist" movie in the 1980s. The former cemetery grounds now includes the Grand Hyatt, the municipal buildings, 101, the Convention Center and shopping centers. Note the "mantras" written in red on yellow rice paper and plastered on either side of the service lift in the Lobby. These are protective and deflect dark forces entering the hotel from its basement.

As a corollary, one of my friends, a non-drinker and also a lawyer, recalls several years ago staying at the Grand Hyatt where in the middle of the night, he heard a knock at the door and looked out the door viewer to see a middle aged man dressed in white with a bell boys uniform and cap. Opening the door he looked up and down the long corridors, left and right, with no one to be seen. In the split second that he opened the door it would have been impossible for any mortal to disappear. He spent the rest of the night locked down and with the lights on.

On my side I have been staying every few months inTaipei since the mid 90s, normally at the Grand Hyatt and the only old spirits that I've have seen have been poured out of a bottle.

Breakfast

The buffet breakfast at the Grand Hyatt is an institution and has to be the biggest and best with the broadest selection in Taipei

Upgrade policy

Very stingy with upgrades, even though I am a regular guest and tend to also pay for extras like room service and limos. Have mentioned in their reviews that they are falling short of their competition in this area.

Stayed July 2014
GHTOfficial, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Shanghai_Deco,

Thank you for your continuous, kind support in choosing to stay with us throughout the years. And thank you especially for sharing such a detailed feedback with us. We always appreciate valuable comments from our guests.
We are very pleased to hear that our newly renovated guest rooms, all completely rebuilt and redesigned, have been well received by you. The renovation project does not stop there; to continuously improve the “Grand” experience for our valued guests, Grand Hyatt Taipei will continue to renovate the lobby, the building exterior lighting as well as our restaurants in the coming year.
We look forward to the opportunity to show you more of the new Grand Hyatt Taipei.

Grand Hyatt Taipei Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Spent 8 nights at Grand Hyatt Taipei on a business trip to Taiwan. I can say this is a great hotel for business travelers. In summary: excellent service, excellent restaurants and food, best location for business, extremely comfortable rooms, great bathrooms. For westerners travelers, the breakfast buffet is a must.

All employees from the front desk to the house keeping ladies were always friendly and helpful.

A simple detail, but very convenient: The hotel will provide you with complimentary unlimited amounts of bottle water. Pretty convenient during summer stay in Taiwan.

Will happily return in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GHTOfficial, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear XORDEP,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Grand Hyatt Taipei as well as dining at our restaurants. We look forward to have the opportunity in the future to introduce to you our wide range of cuisines in our hotel restaurants.
Here at Grand Hyatt Taipei, we strive to give our valuable guests the best experience. From excellent, authentic hospitality, top-quality food, to brand new renovated rooms, amazing facilities and great convenience. Grand Hyatt Taipei is conveniently located between two MRT stations and is in the heart of the dynamic commercial and financial Xinyi District. Our service also adds a personal touch to make guests feel like they are staying at a home away from home.

Thank you for your continuous support and for your wonderful reviews. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Let me begin with two caveats: (I) this was my first trip to Asia, so I have little experience with other hotels there, and (ii) due to the generosity of a colleague I was able to upgrade to the Grand Club, so my experience may not be entirely typical.

That said, I really enjoyed my business stay here. The service was superb, including a concierge who helped me get places by writing out names in kanji for taxi drivers. The room was well equipped and well furnished and with high quality appointments. Wifi was excellent.

As far as I was concerned, this was a perfect location. It is connected by walkway to Taipei 101, which is not only interesting to see but where I had lunch with a client. Across the street was a small, but nice, park, which virtually connected with a larger park at the Sun Yat Sen Memorial. As a nature lover, I really appreciated this touch of green, and found some interesting birds in the park.

I am looking forward to a return visit the next business trip to Taipei.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GHTOfficial, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Ejeffrey,

We at Grand Hyatt Taipei are very happy to hear that our newly renovated 853 guest rooms have been well received by you. Other than the re-designed guest rooms, we also offer new and convenient equipment and technology such as a state-of-the-art media hub which provides all kinds of AV input connections (including computers, smart phones and even DVD players) and a 47-inch full-HD television with personal audio / video connections, including a music player, to cater for guests’ entertainment needs.

Grand Hyatt Taipei is also pleased to be able to offer our valuable guests utmost convenience, located between two MRT stations as well as in the heard of the dynamic Xinyi financial and commercial district.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Impressive lobby and well-appointed rooms. Stayed in a standard room, which was already large and comfortable. Separate shower and bath areas, good lighting, fast and free wifi in room. Meals in cafe demonstrated impressive range, although fruit juices were overly watered down and freshly brewed coffee from machine was average. Taipei 101 is across the road via an overhead pedestrian crossing. The Linjiang (Tonghua) night market is a 20-minute walk away and there is a subway stop nearby as well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GHTOfficial, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear updoc1,

It’s such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing with us your valuable experience here at Grand Hyatt Taipei. We are very pleased to hear that our newly renovated rooms, which completed full renovation only last month, has been well received by you.
Grand Hyatt Taipei, conveniently located between two MRT stations, is situated in the heart of the Xinyi District, known as one of the most dynamic commercial and financial districts in Taipei. This advantage offers our valuable guests the utmost convenience to all of the vibrant entertainment and financial buildings nearby.
Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Best location in Taipei... Close to 101, Chengpin bookstore. It is a little pricey compared with other Hyatt hotels, however, I was not disappointed at all! The receptionist was great; the service was excellent. I was looking for post offices to ship a package to my family. All of the post offices were closed dur to public holidays. Hyatt service team kindly helped me with that! I believe that there was even no service charge. Thanks!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear roddyfly,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are very pleased to hear that you were happy with your stay here with us. At Grand Hyatt Taipei, we strive to provide excellent service from the most authentic hospitality. We ensure that all of our employees take the extra time to add personal touches as well as consideration to provide our guests with a wonderful stay.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

This is not for the super luxury. It does what it says on the tin. The rooms are nice and the hotel functions well. The staff are helpful. If you coming for business and need a well functioning efficient hotel then this is for you.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GHTOfficial, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Manydaysaway,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Taipei, and thank you especially for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.
We look forward to the opportunity to introduce other facilities and dining options the hotel has to offer for your future stays.
Thank you again for your valuable comments.

Chicago, IL, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I don’t give five star ratings very often, but for the Grand Hyatt Taipei, it is well earned. I had an excellent stay.

I stayed in late June in a Club room. If you can, spend the extra for the Club level. The service throughout the hotel is exceptionally good but, in my experience, the Club level will treat you like a true VIP from the minute you arrive ( or at the airport, as the hotel arranges cars) with an updated room, an awesome breakfast/ cocktail hour on floor 22. ( Vs the good but crowded café) and access to meeting rooms. Totally worth it for not much more money.

Some reasons why I give the hotel such a high rating:

1. Exceptional service.
Genuinely friendly, kind and helpful. I was attending a trade show somewhat last minute and do not speak Chinese, so there were a number of problematic tasks with which I needed help. The Club staff, concierge, and especially the business center, did a fantastic job giving their help and advice on these numerous projects both big and small. I have stayed at many hotels and, personally, this was the most effective and helpful business center I have experienced in a long time.

2. Well designed rooms.
I slept very well there which is rare for me. The layout of the room minimizes hallway noise, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom was well laid out with a good shower. Thoughtfully, the electric plugs are designed to fit what appear to be all styles of plugs. ( not a problem from the US anyway, but still, thoughtful) Important note: some rooms have not been renovated, so my experience only applies to the renovated Club rooms.

3. Excellent food
Pearl Liang for dinner but especially the breakfast on 22. Seriously. I stayed there 9 days and still looked forward to it every morning. Lots of variety, amazing fresh fruit, inventive and tasty pastries and both western and Chinese options ...including several vegetarian options. (This was highly appreciated there is often a lack of vegetarian options in many hotels)

4. Convenient location.
If you are attending a convention or business at Taipei 101, both are conveniently next door/across the street neighbors of the hotel. While cabs are cheap, it is nice to be able to walk 2 min back to your hotel after a long day at a show in hot and humid Taiwan. Also by a number of night spots, some good hiking (!) the subway and only a short walk or cab to a number of interesting neighborhoods and sights. Plus, it is hard to get too lost when you know your hotel is by that really tall building. ( Taipei 101)

In Summary: Highly recommended. I am looking forward to my next stay at the Grand Hyatt Taipei.

Room Tip: Spend the money for the Club level rooms. Well worth it. Travel Tip 1: Book an airport pick up thro...