“Taipei's Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei

You added Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei to your Saves list
Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.201 Tun Hwa South Road, Section 2, Taipei 106, Taiwan   |
Ranked #15 of 447 Hotels in Taipei
4.5 of 5 stars 681 Reviews
Shanghai, China
“Taipei's Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Coming to Taipei is not only a business duty for me but all time also a pleasure. To stay in the Far Eastern Plaza Hotel with its outstanding service is a part of the joy of such a trip.
Very good restaurants, outstanding service, and cleanliness of all rooms and facilities offer to you a perfect stay.
(although now the lobby is a bit narrow due to renovation works, but as a guest you do not feel anything except the limited space.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

During our brief visit to Taipei, we had the good fortune of staying at the Shangri-La. It was slightly more expensive than similarly rated alternatives but we decided to go with Shangri-La because of our favorable experiences elsewhere and boy are we glad we did. The room, pool, and facilities were all superb. The lobby is undergoing a major renovation but we hardly noticed. But the reason I will continue to strongly favor Shangri-La (and never stay anywhere else in Taipei) if given the choice is as follows. Our daughter woke up with a fever and we called the service manager (Mitch) to see if we could get an extended checkout before our evening flight so that our daughter could get some extra rest. Hoping for an extra hour our so, we were given six. Mitch then asked if we needed a doctor and we said we would wait and see but perhaps. By mid-afternoon, we decided to get her checked out and so I called Mitch. Before we knew it, we were being accompanied by a member of Mitch's staff in a taxi to a clinic with a relationship with Shangri-La. In under two hours, we were back at the hotel, having met with what seemed to be an excellent doctor, completed bloodwork, received test results, and obtained medications. I told the woman who accompanied us that I thought this was extraordinary and she said she thought most hotels would do the same and that most people in Taipei would do the same. On the former, I don't think she is correct.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Josh C

You just made our day! Thank you so much for being a loyal guest and sharing your recent staying experience with us. It is our honor to know that you have enjoyed our well-arranged room, the facilities and the pool. At the meantime, I am sorry to hear that your daughter was sick during her visit; however, I am also glad to know that our team members were able to provide you with the service you needed. It is our core value to embrace our guests from the heart and your praise is certainly the best motivation for us to continue out Shangri-La hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I just finished a one week stay at this hotel for business. The hotel is undergoing renovations and the main lobby is closed off until mid September. They have a temporary lobby area set up. I knew all this well before booking. I have probably stayed at this hotel about six times over the past few years. The reason I use this hotel is the staff. The hotel is fine and the accommodations are very nice but the key to the success of this place is the staff. I have probably stayed at close to twenty five different hotels over the last two years for business and yet this is the only one I have bothered to review. Take some time during your visit to engage any of the staff and you will be very impressed with their insight, knowledge and friendliness. They will always make you feel warm and welcome. Renovation or not the staff here always makes this a special place!

Room Tip: I would always pay a little extra for the Horizon Club because it's a wonderful retreat with the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Bill527

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your wonderful staying experience with us. We are thrilled to know that you were satisfied with the attentive service provided by our team members, and your comments will definitely motivate us to provide the hospitality from the heart continuously! Thanks again for being out loyal guest and we look forward to welcoming you come back again soon for another great Shangri-La experience.

Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at the Shangri-La Taipei for five nights during our visits to Taiwan. The room was comfortable and well appointed. The hotel is pretty centrally located and it took a short cab ride to almost everywhere for the older part of the city such as train station on the west as well as the newer development such as Taipei 101 in the east. There are two MRT stations about 10 - 15 minutes walk from the hotel.

The restaurants and room service were good. There are several excellent restaurants in the hotel, serving excellent Japanese, Italian Chinese and Western cuisines. We particularly enjoyed the Peking duck at the Shang Palace.

What set this hotel apart was the service. We were greeted by the hotel staff the moment we stepped out of the custom at the airport and lead to our car. The driver was professional and courteous and the car transporting us from the airport to the hotel was a roomy BMW equipped Wifi. From the gentleman at the front desk, the concierge, the room service and housekeeping staff, everyone was helpful, attentive and courteous. I was sick during my stay in the hotel, the room service staff, when picking up the dishes after I finished the meal, brought me a complimentary pot of hot tea, which was really thoughtful and much appreciated. The guest service also called to make sure I had everything I needed and offered to bring me tea and porridge. When I checked out on my birthday, I received a generous box of the most delicious chocolate and chocolate chip cookies, which made the chocoholic birthday girl very happy. The car took us to the airport was stocked with coffee, sandwiches and breakfast pastries at 5:00 a.m. and ready for us to catch our earlier flight out.

Even though I felt sick during the trip, it was a nice stay at the Shangri- La Taipei from the beginning to the end.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear SunnyT1969,

Thank you for sharing this uplifting review with us! We are thrilled to know that you and your family had a pleasant stay, enjoyed a lot including our convenient location, the great food in our different restaurants and our flawless service. The roasted duck in our Shang Palace is also my personal favorite in Taipei city and I am glad that you had the chance to taste it. It’s sad to know that you were sick during your visit; however, I am glad that our team members were able to serve you with the Shangri-La hospitality from the heart and helped to ease your uncomfortable. Your compliment towards our team members have been conveyed which will definitely motivate the whole team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to provide you another wonderful Shangri-La experience.

Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Location: a bit far from MRT, about 15 mins walk to liew zhang lee station; but annex is a small shopping mall, basement area of d mall is food court n supermarket; next to hotel there is a family mart convenient store; behind hotel got few massage parlor n chic restaurant
Lobby: under reno from june till sept, d temporary lobby is quite small n congested
Room: size ok, refurbished, dissapoited without equip wz nespresso machine for a 5 stars hotel; bed a bit soft for me but d comfortor is thick n soft; bathroom does not have bidet, which is very uncommon for a 5 stars hotel in taipei! WIFI speed satisfactory
Need improvement: turn down service so so, never place slipper properly, never help to organize our things in place; staff need to greet guest at all times!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear cpchock

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your recent staying experience with us. It is our pleasure to know that our convenient location has made your trip easier. In regards to your comments on the bidet, please be informed that currently bidet is only available in our Plaza Suite Room type and above. However, your comment will be taken into future planning consideration and we will be sure to keep your preference and make the best arrangement for you in your next stay. Your other comments have also been past to related department and immediate investigation and an action plan have been conducted for improvement. We would like to thank you for your feedback which gives us the opportunity to improve ourselves. If there is any further subjects you would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact me via my email: marcel.holman@shangri-la.com. We look forward to your return to provide you with another great Shangri-La experience.

Peoria, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Enjoyed my stay. Even though the lobby is under construction and the rooftop pool was not in service, this hotel has staff that will bend over backward to service you. One of the better fitness facilities in a hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear Allen P
Thank you for taking your time to leave us such amazing comment on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our health club during your stay and was impressed by our attentive service. Our annual maintenance for the rooftop pool has finished and is ready for our guests daily from 6am to 10pm. I hope that you will have another chance to visit our stunning pool next time. To enhance our customer experience, our lobby in currently under refurbishment and we apologize for any inconvenience that might cause to you. We thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stayed for a one night visit on a business trip. I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite which was very nice. The gym was great with lots of cardio machines. Staff were helpful with directions and provided the high level of service expected from this chain.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei? Share your experiences!