“Great for this American traveler” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.9 Lane199, Dunhwa North Road, Taipei, Taiwan   |
Ranked #293 of 446 Hotels in Taipei
3.5 of 5 stars 16 Reviews
Glenside, Pennsylvania
“Great for this American traveler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed there 11 days and the desk was extremely helpful in getting taxis or waiting up for me or allowing me to talk late on the second floor lounge where there is a microwave and newspapers, computer, hot tea and coffee.. Each night I got a coupon to eat at the western style Royal Host next door where the food was a little like an IHOP and about 4$/breakfast. There was a fridge in the room, hot tea machine,good airconditioning, a firescape ladder,wi-fi, personal bathroom amenities and a hair dryer.Nights were very quiet even though I was on the street side. No bed bugs-I checked. I had to be near Nanjing Road, so it was convenient and taxis were easy to find. There was a police station about a block away, and it was a really safe area with a fruit stand just a half block away. Had a great stay and hope to return some day!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Excellent service, rooms, and location - a few minutes' walk from major roads and transportation. My wife and I stayed in the hotel for over a week to visit family and found it to be a very comfortable place to stay. The rooms are well laid-out, with a comfortable bed, wireless internet, and all the necessary furniture (we stayed in a room with a single king-sized bed). While the bathrooms in the hotel aren't the newest, the staff keeps everything clean and neat, and we didn't find anything out of the ordinary - it's clear that the hotel is well maintained. The lounge has a really good coffee machine, newspapers, and comfortable tables and couches. Above all, we found the manager, the front desk staff, and the housekeeping staff to be friendly, personable, and willing to accomodate us. We highly recommend this hotel to travelers who are looking for good value and clean, comfortable mid-range lodging in Taipei.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed 10 nights at Howard Green Garden in Jan 2012. I thought this belongs to Howard Hotels and should have good reputations even I could not find any reviews online at the time when I made my reservation. My 4 years old boy got virus infections from Taiwan( virus everywhere over there) when we stayed, and vomitted on the bed. The hotel staff( Mr. Jiang) refused to give me another comforter and asked my child to sleep at the cold night( no central air control in your room. That was 10 pm. I did not get another comforter until 2 AM after Mr. Jiang finished insulting me and my little boy. That morning at 5 AM, the hotel staff, Mr. Ling, even called our room to wake us up for fun because they knew our boy needed sleep and they refused to give us any. I contacted their home office( Howard hotels group, Mr. Cheng, Mr. Tung) to make a complaint next day about this hotel and did not work( I spent $ 9 room telephone to make that useless complaint). We spent USD $95/night for two twin room and received the terrible customer services and 1920's U.S. cheap hotel amenity( a falling apart hotel) and not clean at all. For the same price, you can stay at a much better hotel other than at any Howard hotels. It took us at least 30 minutes walk to any public transportations, ig bus or metro. We took taxis to everywhere after first walk to metro which is not our original plans. The hotel locates at a bad neighorhood and people there are not friendly. Watch out, international travellers!! If you do not look like local Taiwanese, be aware of discriminations. Overall, I wish there was a review to warn me about this hotel before I made the reservation. I am sorry to see the today's Howard Hotels are not the same Howard Hotels used to be. Run away from this hotel and any other Howard Hotels.

Room Tip: Never stay that hotel or any Howard Hotels unless you are looking for a terrible experience or humil...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

Convenient location though not near any metro stops. Short walk to bus stops and easy to get taxis. Near convenience store(open 7am-12midnight) and there are many eating places nearby. The rooms are lovely, clean and tastefully decorated though some of the extra amenities offered are not consistent through out. We took 3 rooms, some had safe/microwave oven/etc., some don't. Free internet connection as well as coffee and tea round the clock at the lobby,has sauna and gym as well. What it lacks in outside appearance, the rooms make up for it. Staff are helpful and polite, free breakfast provided next door.Next to the police station and although there's a school opposite, the noise can hardly be heard. Definitely value for money. Only problem is that it's a very unknown hotel. Most taxi drivers do not know how to get there. Make sure you get the entire address in Mandarin before you arrive in Taipei.

• Liked — Fantastic rooms
  • Disliked — Not near Metro stops
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2007

The hotel is roomy, convenient, comfortable. The service is above average. You definitely get every penny worth.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel twice. While it is by no means a new and posh hotel, it meets most travellers' basic needs. It is located in a quiet corner of Taipei--quiet and safe at night, with a police station only a stone throw away, but could be noisy early in the morning when school (right across the street) is in session. They have done some improvement to their guest rooms and the spacious beds are pretty clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly in general, a good tradition of the Howard Hotels, but their English could be better. Whatever room rates you get online, call up the hotel and double-check. Some hotels in Taiwan often offer lower rates when you call them directly; even if there is no discount, at least they do not require your credit card for booking and it is usually easy to cancel should your plans change. If you like a hotel on a tree-lined semi-residential street with an apartment, no-frills atmosphere, this is a good place to stay. There are restaurants all over the area. Room rates: $75+/per night.

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Howard Green Garden Taipei? Share your experiences!