“Too much marketing and not enough service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch

Save Saved
You added Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch to your Saves list
Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Lane 728, Sec 6, Zhongshan N Rd,Shihlin, Taipei 111, Taiwan   |
Special Offer
Easy Pick-up Service!
Ranked #1 of 428 hotels in Taipei
San Francisco, California
“Too much marketing and not enough service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel Jan 10-13th 2013.
The night I arrived (6:30pm) there was no one to help me with my bags.
After I hauled my bags to the front desk, an older guy magically showed up, quick to hussle me for a tip just to take one of my bags to the elevator and 15 feet to the front of my room door (thanks for nothing).
The clothes dryer took over 90 minutes to dry half a load. I had to go downstairs three times to check on my clothes. The dryer should had done my half load in 30 min. or less.
One of the young girls at the front desk does not speak half the English needed for a front desk position in a hotel that receives international guests. She could not understand simple questions such as "how long does the clothes dryer take to finish?" or "How long does it take to walk to the MRT?".

The last morning I was at this hotel the coffee machine in the breakfast room broke down. When I got there there was no coffee service (no coffee are you kidding me!). I waited 5 minutes for a cup of coffee that tasted like instant noodles. I asked for a refill and they looked at me like I was asking for gold or something. Someone from the kitchen came to my table while I was finishing my breakfast to explain why it was soooo difficult for them to bring me one cup of coffee.
I told her to forget about it (by know I knew I had made I mistake staying here).

The last day when I checked out, the front desk staff asked me if I needed a cab and where I was going. I told them where I was going and then I went upstaris to grab my bags.
Downstairs at the lobby the grumpy old guy (his problem is beyond training) tried to grab one of my bags to which I replied "no", then I took both my bags and started walking towards the cab.
He followed me without doing anything (he can't say a word in English).
After I put my bags in the cab's trunk I got in the back seat.
This is the part where the porter usually tells the cab driver where the guest is going. Instead, the old guy laughed sarcastically, turned around, and left without telling the cab driver anything. I get it: "no tip, no service". As if I had not already paid for my stay at this hotel.
I then pulled an MRT map and pointed at the nearby station where I wanted to go. The cab driver kept asking me "do you have an address?" even after I showed him the station name in the map, in both English and Chinese.
It was after a minute or so that I realized the cabs this hotel uses are quite shady and probably in some sort of agreement with the hotel, so, I simply got out of the cab and took my bags, walked 15 seconds to the main road, stopped a cab and did exactly as before, showing the driver the MRT station where I wanted to go, and he took me there in 5 minutes (I gave him a big tip too).

Dandy, you are clean and safe. Your best feature is the excellent work your housekeepers do.
But your lobby staff is too proud and poorly trained. Your service is not what you try to make-believe.
For the money I paid here I could had stayed at a much better location near everything.
I did not get my money's worth at the Dandy Hotel. Just look at the facts above.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Liane L, Assistant Manager at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I regret that what you experienced in our hotel did not meet your expectation.
Although some of our staff like valet attendants cannot speak fluent English, we are always try our best to find other way to provide assistance. Sorry for not effectively expressing that to you and wish you have a nice trip next time to Taipei.

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Dandy for four nights with our 7 and 5 yr old children, when visiting family in Taipei. We enjoyed our stay so much that we returned to the Dandy for another 2 nights at the tail end of our vacation. We booked the Family Room, which had a queen, twin, and a convertible couch for beds. The Family Rooms also have a huge soaking tub and a rainfall shower head, so the bathroom size was huge in comparison to most city hotels. Free laundry and Wifi, as well as a very satisfying breakfast buffet, made the room price an excellent deal, and the hotel employees were amazing with customer service, ranging from getting taxis, providing umbrellas, and even having our bags already in the room when we returned for the second part of the trip. I would highly recommend this hotel for families, as the neighborhood is very safe with a variety of parks and playgrounds nearby.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
PhoebeChang, Supervisor at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch and taking your precious time to share a detailed review of the hotel facilities and the service.

We sincerely appreciate your encouragements and feedback. It is always a pleasure to receive such rewarding compliments and your support has been shared with all the departments.

Thank you once again for your compliments and should you have any further suggestion or inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your future visit.

Phoebe Chang, Supervisor
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is my second time that i visit Taiwan and i choice Dandy hotel again.

First of all i want to say about breakfast! It is execellent as in previous time. In this time i see new feature of breakfast - it is life violin music. Very very nice feeling during breakfast - i got energy for all day after that.

Next position - very clean and light room that i got! (I got deluxe room). They have almost all what you need in room for personal hygiene (like Toothbrush, razor, soap, shower gel, hair dryer, etc.).
For rest always in room i have tea. (If it not enought - in the first floor always stand Coffee machine)

Especially i want to say about service! THIS IS AMAZING! If you need some help with something - hotel staff will help you. (Big thanks and best regards for ENZO, RUBY AND EVIE - these guys solve many my problems during my Taipei visit and i very want to BIG THANKS for guys who always escorted me from the hotel (i am so sorry - i forgot his name)).

Summing up:
This is one of the best hotel. I next time in Taiwan i will choice only Dandy hotel!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Choice Deluxe Room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PhoebeChang, Supervisor at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for booking our hotel for a longer stay again and taking the time to give your opinion. We are delighted to hear that you had an enchanting stay with us, and excited to learn that we are now your first choice in Taipei.

I am impressed by how many of the names of our staff you still remember and they are very grateful for you positive review.
Your support also has been shared with all staffs and shall go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of service.

Thank you once again for your compliments and we hope to welcome you back to Dandy Hotel - Tiamnu Branch very soon!

Phoebe Chang, Supervisor
qc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Truly amazing stay! The staff were great! I had breakfast on my first day and I wanted a soy milk sans sugar, The nice server went in the kitchen, and VIOLA- hot unsweetened soymilk made for me. Truly amazing, nothing beats their services from any 5 stars hotel in the city! Would recommend this to my family and friends as well! :D BRAVO!!! :D

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Liane L, Assistant Manager at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for sharing the lovely memories you have of Dandy Hotel - Tianmu branch.

We were very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay here, and appreciated your kind remarks about our service. It indeed was a great encouragement to us. We all look forward to welcoming you back and will always have your needs as our highest priority.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I was very pleasantly surprised by the thoroughness of Dandy Hotel in providing excellent customer service and every facility I could think of. The staff were friendly and eager to help, and the cleanliness of the public areas and my room were immaculate. I had arrived 8 hours before scheduled check-in, after an uncomfortable and sleepless flight, and the reception staff kindly offered an early check-in so that I could get some sleep. I would definitely stay at Dandy again and would recommend it highly

• Stayed January 2013
Liane L, Assistant Manager at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of staying in Dandy Hotel -Tianmu with TripAdvisor’s viewers.

We were very happy to know that your stay was enjoyable, and appreciated your kind words about our facilities and service. As we like to do more than “just an accommodation” since we opened, your feedback was truly a great encouragement to us. We all look forward to your next visit. Dandy Hotel - Tianmu will always be your home away from home in Taiwan.

Taipei
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Service was impeccable - from porter to front desk to room service. We needed an additional towel rack and a more accessible soap dispenser and they immediately responded to the request by adding them to the bathroom. Incredible.
Amenities like free breakfast, a snack and drinks in the room, essential toiletries, do it yourself laundry with detergent supplied were all appreciated.
Easy access to bus routes and subway were a plus as it facilitated travel around the city not only on a faster basis but also at a more economical rate than taxis, which were actually not that expensive if you are used to European and American taxi rates.
Area of hotel seemed to be in an upscale neighborhood probably popular with expats. It therefore lacked local flavor but certainly seemed safe and clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for taking time to leave this positive review for us.

It was a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay. We also appreciated you kind remarks about our service. A feedback like yours inspires us to pursued higher standards of service quality all the time. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

A warmest welcome will always be waiting for you at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu.

san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I always trust trip advisor's review, and I'm glad I did. It's a small hotel in quiet part of taipei (Tianmu). There're American and Japanese school nearby. Closest Subway station is Zhishan, 15min walk, but there are bus stop outside of hotel that will take you to Zhishan station or taipei main station. Bus comes very often during weekday. Recommend to get an easy card at metro station instead of one day ticket if you're staying more than a couple of days. You have to deposit around $17 at first, but you can use it for bus or metro, and $17 covered 7 days for me because transportation in taiwan is affordable. This way, you don't have to walk to metro station from hotel, you can get on bus to metro station, but it's a nice walk to station. The reason why I'm writing this is because I was worried about location of hotel before I booked it, and I'm sure some of you too. Hotel is spotless, hip, but not trying too hard.. Breakfast buffet was excellent, and my favorite part of this hotel was their espresso machine!! you can drink excellent coffee or latte anytime, it was awesome. Laundry room right next to check in counter, you can use it for free anytime. No iron in your room, but there is one in laundry room. Room is very very simple and clean.( Flat screen tv, small refrigerators with bottle of water, private toilet room, nice clean shower) They can arrange shuttle pick up from Airport around $50, and going back is around $40. Drivers don't speak english, but they're very nice. Recommend to walk around hotel area not just to metro station, but other side towards tianmu square. I founda grocery store and some restaurants locals go to. If you want to be on busy street with more tourists, you may want to stay around zhongshan area close to main station, if you want to be in peaceful and quiet residential area, but easy access to metro, don't look anywhere else. You can't beat this price with free breakfast and laundry. I'm already planning to go back to Taiwan next year because it was such a nice trip, and going to stay at Dandy hotel again for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Liane L, Assistant Manager at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your precious time to write such a detailed review for us.

Every advice you shared was very helpful to let travelers learn more about our hotel and surroundings. I was also very happy to know that you loved our 24-hour espresso service we newly added and that your stay with us was comfortable and enjoyable.

Thank you again for your comment. We all will be waiting for you next visit. Nothing pleases us more than being able to say “welcome back” on your planning second trip to Taiwan!

Assistant Manager, Dandy Hotel – Tianmu Branch

Been to Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch? Share your experiences!