“My best W experience so far - for a hefty price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Taipei

You added W Taipei to your Saves list
W Taipei
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.10 Section 5, Zhongxiao East Road, Xinyi District, Taipei 110, Taiwan   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Get 10% Off Our Best Rate
Ranked #14 of 446 Hotels in Taipei
Bangkok, Thailand
“My best W experience so far - for a hefty price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Knowing most W hotels in the world, staying at the W Taipei was still pleasantly surprising. It surpasses the praised W Hong Kong in quality of property and service significantly.

Check in was good.I was blown away by the W insider (Jessica), who did an amazing job. She was prepared when I arrived, knew my profile, even my interests and could recommend to me many places to go regarding food, sight seeing and shopping, specifically to my taste.
Through the chatting about food venues and places for going out the check in took quite more then half an hour, which I didn't mind at all, even arriving with a red eye at Taipei and quite tired at the hotel.
The early check in, even while the hotel was fully booked, is positively worth to be mentioned.

The hotel itself is very new, still in top shape and conveniently located at City Hall in the posh financial district of Taipei. So with the MRT just 50m away you have an easy access, at arrival as with visiting different places. Taxis (competing for an early death by driving) are so cheap though that the MRT is not the best solution all the time.

Room:
The large (one bedroom) 'Marvelous Suite' I had came in top shape and with lots of different areas to sit, work, lounge... I made use of that a quite a bit. In my opinion this is mentionable since many high end hotel provide hardly usable working and lounging spaces in the suites. The interior designer working for the W had a good hand and cultivated a modern 50s style, like a very welcome synergy of 'Mad Men' came to 2013... with amazing results. I love the living room of that suite.
The bedroom is roomy, bright and conveniently furnished and comes with gimmicks like iPod/Phone dock (no USB for Android thoug, bad) or the the "white noise machine", which I actually used due to the noise from the bar downstairs up until 3 am in the morning - the bar in the W is a very happening place right now in Taipei.
Also very annoying, there are power plugs in the bedroom but just Asian connectors - and I was not in the mood calling for an adapter at 3 am in the morning... still I needed my alarm for the morning. So plugin the phone in at the desk and hoping the get awake from that is not in the field of high quality I otherwise experienced here.

The bathroom is quite amazing, good water pressure, the sinks a little splashy though. You can get easily wet pants by washing your hands. I loved the great working Japanese toilet seats.The bathroom amenities were restocked every day, if used or not. The women at home will be happy about that, since the 'W shampoo' and 'Body Butter' belong to the most desired product from my journeys.

Splash / Pool:
For Taipei and the area the hotel is located, they did a good job of a decent pool with inviting appeal. Just don't expect a garden or a cozy feel. It is still a W we're talking about. So think more in 'cool style'... good enough that on one side the outer part of one of the hippest bars in Taipei is located there.

Breakfast:
I was not impressed by the breakfast buffet at all. The coffee was decent but not great. The croissants hard, old, tasteless, just terrible, the butter just lousy. The fruits were kinda OK but I would expect a lot(!) more in quality. The sausage and cheese I tried more out of curiosity were weak also. The warm food looked OK. But I did not find a decent rice soup, although they had muschi congee style stuff, which I guess Chinese prefer over the Thai style rice soup.
All in all, for an European (French/Italian) taste for breakfast it was quite weak. An US fella or British guy, who enjoys eggs and whatever in the morning might see that differently.

Service:
The service I experienced is amazing. Greeted by name pretty much anywhere, getting a table as a guest of the hotel at the highly demanded and hip "in-bar" for which people in fashionable outfits lined up on Saturday night, provides the feeling of a 'valued guest'. The hotel staff speaks perfectly english and was highly motivated to do their job to the best of their ability and beyond.

House keeping did a terrific job, of cleaning the room and being available without being annoying. A tech guy provided me with VGA and HDMI cables to connect my notebook to the big TV. Also he was helpful in his approach and capable of speaking enough english for th etask which is rare in Asia. Normally the communication with these guys is more using 'hands and feet'.

Bar on 31st (the dry Tanqueray Ten Martini "washed"....):
My negotiations for the perfect martini of my desire was quite successful, they even had my favorite Gin in stock, the rare 'Tanqueray Ten' and despite the missing 'Noilly Prat' for vermouth (please get this!!!), the cocktail came out quite decent. For the second round the bartender came himself to my table to check upon my opinion and if he can improve it anyhow for my liking. That is highly appreciated. The olives were a little weak but that is common in Asia.
The complementing view on the 31st floor towards the 101 (it was the highest building in the world from 2004-2010... or somewhat like that) together with more then decent cocktails and a conversation with a friend not seen for five years is a memory I cherish from that stay.

Value for money:
The price tag is hefty. Ok, during my stay the hotel was completely booked which contributed to that issue I guess. But in general this W competes in price with the W in Hong Kong and wins that a most often... that does not make sense. Taipei is in general a lot cheaper then Hong Kong. Even the W in Singapore comes more reasonable... I don't get this thinking at all.

Not sure if I will be a regular in the future or will try another property another time to find out different values for money.. the Le Meridien Taipei is quite a contender for that... but my next stay in the W in a few weeks is already booked. So they must have done something right and probably not only one thing :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear FoodieOnTourdotcom,

You made our day! Your detailed review is not only inspiring but also helpful for us to improve our services – we have already started using your review to improve! With that, we could keep surprising our guests not only by the considerate and trendy design and facilities but also by the exceptional services from our talents just like what you have experienced during your stay. We are also thrilled to know that you had a perfect time in our Yen Bar, with your Tanqueray Ten Martini and the unforgettable memories with an old friend. However we feel sorry to hear the inconveniences that you encountered in the breakfast buffet, and we have already forwarded your suggestions to our Beverage & Food department for future improvement. Thank you again for this comprehensive review, and we will definitely look forward to welcoming you again.

W Taipei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We did quite some research on the internet before coming to Taipei to celebrate my birthday. The W is not the cheapest option, but its all worth it! We had a package including breakfast, cocktails and 101-view!!

After traveling around the world, very frequently staying in medium to high-end properties, its not always easy to understand why certain hotels just more expensive than others, but the W was definately able to differentiate and provide the wow-effect we were looking for! You just dont know what to do, sleeping is a waste of time as you have to enjoy everything else, but then the bed is so great that it's a waste not to have a very good sleep in it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Jeroen B,

We love your review! We can’t sleep either with our excitement, but our W Bed is so so cozy… We are escalated to know that you had a wonderful birthday celebration experience with us and consider your stay is all worth it. We hope you can enjoy your birthday again with us next year!

San Gabriel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is definite a five stars hotel.The staff speaks perfect english and very professional.The rooms are very upscale and clean.Lucky us,our room was facing Taipei 101,second tallest buliding in the world.Shopping center is next door,and Taipei 101 is about ten minutes away(walking).Highly recommend their breakfast buffet,with great food and service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear darindad,

It is such an honor to receive such a great comment from you. We are thrilled to know that you found our hotel perfect in location, room design, food and services from our talents. Thank you for your recommendation of W Taipei and hope to see you again soon.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

It surprises me that the taxi driver don’t know the hotel. Luckily I recall vaguely from my memory the Google Map that I have seen before leaving my country. I have to guard the taxi driver and finally see the building.

The ground floor is the general lobby. It doesn’t have much here. On the 10th floor is the concierge and the buffet breakfast restaurant. There are lot of staff here trying to identify and help the guests or visitors. You have to register in order to be allowed to go to the hotel floor.

The suite is for the bride and groom. There is the bedroom with open concept ensuite equipped with Vanity desk. There is a foyer before coming to the room. Once inside the room, there is a small hallway before reaching the sitting room that is more than 100 sq. ft. with unblocked view of Taipei 101. It is enough to have 20 – 30 people mingle around in the suite. The hotel is kind enough to allow the red banner (Hui Chun) on the entrance door.

On the 8th floor is the banquet room, there is a wide and large hallway from the elevator leading to the banquet hall. It can have enough space for 100 people to be around. The banquet hall is nicely decorated. Each table has different flower bouquet. The setting is marvelous. Audio and Video equipment are at the end. There is an area in the middle of the banquet hall for a band to be there. The washroom is beautifully designed. All vertical basins are arranged in a circle with mirrors and a table in the middle.

It is connected to the MTR and surrounding buildings by underground path. With the path you can walk to all the surrounding shopping buildings like Hankyu and Mitsukoshi. Between the area from W to Taipei 101 has a lot to shop and see.

The service is very good. At the end of the meal, it happened that I miss my camera cover. 2 servers helped me and finally found it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear EarthDiscover,

You kind and detailed review is highly appreciated! We are so thrilled to know that the location, the design, the facilities and the layout of our suite satisfied you. It is our pleasure to make a wonderful memory for you at our ballroom as well as the services from our talents. Thank you again and we are definitely looking forward to seeing you again, discovering more of both our hotel and this electrifying city.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was my first time in Taipei and all aspects of the hotel were outstanding. The hotel car service was waiting for me at the airport and the car was equipped with WiFi, snacks, and water. Nice touch.

The staff on property were very hospitable. Brendan, who met me at the car upon arrival, stayed with me the whole time time during registration and escorted me to the room.

Every person on property was friendly yet professional, a nice balance.

The room is very nicely appointed. I stayed in a corner unit (ending in 01), and highly recommend it. It was spacious, super clean, and, of course, designed in the typical W way, contemporary/modern style.

When in Taipei, pick the centrally located W, it will not disappoint!

• Stayed April 2013
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear JYG61i,

We love it that you think we are awesome! We are thrilled to know that you feel satisfied with the conveniences of our location, the cleanness in our room and the warm service from our talents.
“Whatever/Whenever” is our service commitment and we wish all our guests who stay us enjoy the experiences. Thank you so much for sharing this valuable feedback with us, and we will definitely look forward to seeing you at our hotel again.

Diamond Bar, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The hotel is very upscale, the staff is very professional and the room has everything you need. The hotel is right next to the City Hall subway station, where you can get around by taking the subway conveniently. Right there it is also the stop for the airport bus, so coming from and going to the airport is right there for only 147 TWD (about $5 US).

In the subway station building there is a Uni-Hanku department store, and there is food court in its lower level, where you can find all kinds of restaurants.

The 101 building is also in the hotel nearby and there are many department stores in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear TonyChao,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are so pleased to know that you were satisfied with your stay and found our hotel upscale, talents professional, and location convenient. W Taipei locates in the heart of the exhilarating Xinyi district where the city's most exuberant nightlife, hottest fashion and other spectacular attractions reside. Look forward to seeing you again soon and exploring more fun in Taipei.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Modern, impressively chic. Not often does one return to a hotel thumping like a nightclub after a long day out.

The locaton is ideal with access to the subway through Hankyu department store by exclusive entrance on the ground floor. You won't get wet when it rains.

The bed was very comfortable, excellent. The Toto toilet was great, the kid loved the auto seat and auto flush. Shame there was no shower door, so beware wet bathroom. Design over function perhaps.

Excellent. Will return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear HKeater,

Great thanks for your valuable review on us. We are so thrilled to know that you are satisfied with our signature W bed as well as other room facilities. Providing our guests the WOW staying experience is our aim of service. Regarding the bathroom issue, we have taken notes for the future improvement. It is our honor to receive the recognition from you, and we will definitely look forward to seeing you again.

Best regards,
W Taipei

Been to W Taipei? Share your experiences!