“A smart choice in this culturally refined city.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Taipei

You added W Taipei to your Saves list
W Taipei
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.10 Section 5, Zhongxiao East Road, Xinyi District, Taipei 110, Taiwan   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Enjoy Free Breakfasts!
Ranked #15 of 467 Hotels in Taipei
Shanghai
“A smart choice in this culturally refined city.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Accommodation: Roomy room, soul-soothing view of a culturally refined city (as compared to all cities in mainland China, to be honest). Posh furniture and upholstery. Japanese-style washlet/bidet (but not of the best model under the Toto brand, I surmise. As far as this gadget is concerned, the nozzle counts the most. Unfortunately, the nozzle model in this hotel is not the best one, if you have tried other models before).

The Location: Great. Close to a galaxy of middle and high-end shopping malls. The renowned “Eslite Bookstore” has its flagship branch located just behind the Hotel W. You can find a lot of catering options and even fashion boutiques in the same building where the Eslite Bookstore lies. There is a “7-11” convenience store in decent size opposite the hotel. Be sure to buy one “Uni-President Pawpaw Milk” for your taste buds, which will be stunned!! One of the most tasty milk-based drinks in the world!!!

The Staff: Well-trained and welcoming. All smiles of Taiwanese genre. The check-in and check-out are both a breeze. We stayed 3 nights. On the first night, we were bothered in the midnight by a bevy of female guests (from Shanghai, I am assured of) laughing aloud in the corridor, and were forced to call the reception for assistance. They acted in no time and the incident was resolved smoothly. Afterwards, the staff at What/Whenever even offered a bottle of hot milk for easier sleep that we politely declined. The next morning we consulted the staff again to know that the Shanghaiese-neighbors would not be checking out soon. Then we decided to change rooms for better sleep in the ensuing nights. To this request the staff member (Sisy, by pronunciation) demonstrated a very positive attitude in assisting us and presently called back to offer a free upgrade to a larger room on the 30th floor of the same design. We thus had much better sleep in the later 2 nights.

On checking ourselves out, we were assisted by a female staff member (name: Lisetta) energetically. She is so nice and helpful by helping me get a place in the Wet (gym) area to get changed, since it was raining and windy all of a sudden. Lisetta offered to carry my heavy handbag all along, which was a real touch to the heart. Thank you, Lisetta!!!

The Gym: One of the world’s best hotel gyms, I assured you. Completely equipped and very neatly maintained. The city view is unobstructed. The gym’s change room (Wet) looks super-posh and smart, featuring a great blend of agreeable colors and refined timber. It is very spacious inside, and you have a niche area for relaxation on comfy sofas, as well. Wow!!!

The Spa: The twin-room has an inspiring view of the city. The price tag is reasonably pleasing. The female specialist Shirley is almost no inferior to those in Bangkok, the Massage Capital on this planet. I have only one minor suggestion, which is: the massage specialist might have chosen a pair of cloth-soled shoes to wear, since they are less noisy whenever set in motion, in order to consummate a tranquil massage experience.

The Pool: a real place for showy people. You cannot swim as normal here. Since all eye balls are on your body. I guess the designer put a lot more thought to the clubbing or partying scene THAN to a watery sport one. At night, the pool side bar and lobby lounge are turned into a New York Bar scene, every atom. But in the room, it is quite quiet so long as you are lucky enough not to have a noisy neighbor (like those Shanghaiese women who screamed and laughed aloud on the outside).

All in all, W Taipei did a nice job in accommodating and hosting. Should like to return upon next trip to Taipei [which is a lot more agreeable in all material respects than (two pushy though truly vibrant) Hong Kong and (superficial and showy) Shanghai as well as (badly-organized) Beijing].

Room Tip: Choose a room opposite the pool, for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Duncan J,

Thank you for taking your time to share such a uplifting and detailed review on us. We are thrilled to know that you not only recommend our hotel but also like the culturally refined Taipei city. It’s our pleasure to hear that the facilities and services that provided by our talents had satisfied you. We definitely will forward your recognition to the talents you mentioned in your review. Regarding to your feedback of AWAY spa talents’ shoes and WET outdoor pool, we have taken note! Thank you again and look forward to your next trip to Taipei soon!

W Taipei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Darien, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed on this hotel for 3 nights based on the recommendation of my good friend. W has the perfect location as it is near malls. Hankyu is connected and Mitsukoshi is a street away. There are two 7-11 stores within walking distance. Bed is perfect for me. Hotel staff are courteous and knows english well. Gym is a bit small but has nice facilities, you can even borrow sneakers if you forgot yours. All in all a nice stay. A bit expensive but then you get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear benzng,

Thank you for such an inspiring review of your family trip of W Taipei. W Taipei is located in the heart of Xinyi district where the city's spectacular attractions and noteworthy shopping reside. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and found with our location perfect, the W bed comfy, the talent courteous. Look forward to seeing you again soon to explore W Taipei as well as the charming city.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We checked in at W Taipei at around 10pm on a Friday night. The reception was right next to the bar, so it was crowded with people waiting in line to get into the bar and with loud music in the background. Not the usual check in experience, but this is W. Though no fault of the hotel's I noticed during my stay that there were always some random people around the reception (even during daytime). They didn't look like hotel guests or restaurant patrons...and the lifts connecting the ground floor and the reception floor were always packed, but whatever.

OK the hotel itself was excellent. Ours was the Wonderful room facing Taipei 101. The bathroom was cool - it had a rain shower plus a bathtub. I enjoyed the bliss amenities so much that I bought the shampoo and conditioner at bliss when I went back home. Location was perfect - it was right above the City Hall MRT station.

We were there to celebrate our anniversary and the hotel offered a yummy chocolate cake. A nice gesture. I am a member of Starwood Preferred Guest and got free internet in the room. Otherwise the in-room internet rates were quite steep.

Overall a very good hotel. If the reception area could be tidied up a bit the whole experience would have been excellent. But I am not sure if I want to go back yet as I want to give its sister property Le Meridien a try next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear anteaterpig,

Thank you for taking your time sharing your experiences with us. It’s our honor that you chose W Taipei to celebrate your anniversary and let us become part of your important moment. We are also delighted to know that you were satisfied with our hotel location, bathroom facilities, Bliss amenities and SPG special offerings. We definitely look forward to seeing you at our hotel again.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Here for the weekend with my young daughter. I love clean and new hotels! Comfy bed, pillows and duvets. Big bathroom and "bliss" amenities. Very cool that you can open the closet from the bathroom or the hallway. Hate the light switches. Took me 5 times to switch off all the lights except the bathroom light but I guess that's modern lights. Buffet breakfast is great. So much variety - Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, western, pancakes, waffles, fruits, variety of juices. We had such a big breakfast, we weren't hungry till 3pm! Would definitely come back again. Walking distance from the massive Eslite bookstore that opens till late!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear lokseenfung,

Thank you for sharing your valuable experiences with us. It is our pleasure to know that you had a comfortable and cheerful stay at W Taipei. In addition, we are so pleased that you were satisfied with the breakfast at our the kitchen table restaurant. We appreciate your feedback again and sincerely looking forward to your next stay!

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

They think of everything! Very comfortable rooms. Clean and modern - great bath products too! Great fitness room and spa facilities. Free coffee and pastries in the morning down in the lobby area. Very fun, lively bar area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear barbara w,

Thanks for your valuable sharing! It is also our commitment to provide our guests with the unparalleled stay experience at our hotel. We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed the stay with us, and wish you another great trip to Taipei next time – with us, for sure!

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days during March. This Hotel is very New and Modern. The rooms a big and clean. This hotel give you a young feeling like you are in a club at night. With the modren music and lights. On thing i did not like that much was the Music from the pool Bar. I could hear it from my room. I was already on the 26th Floor. becides that everything else was excellet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HKMIKEL,

Thank you for sharing your valuable experience in staying with us. We are pleased to know that you felt our facilities and atmosphere were good and the room was comfortable. We have noted your feedback towards the music at pool bar. Whatever/Whenever is our service commitment and at W Taipei for those who need we provide Sound Machine by request for light sleepers as well. We sincerely thank you again and look forward to seeing you in your next visit from Hong Kong.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at the W-Taipei for 10 days (business). The location is convenient, a lot of shops in the area and the subway is right below the hotel. The service was fantastic. I would definitely stay here again.

Rooms: Having recently been built, the rooms are modern and nicely appointed. I had a 'cool corner room', which, in the room hierarchy, is one notch below the suites (I tried to get an upgrade as I am an SPG member, but the entire hotel was booked up). The bathroom was large, and the room was spacious, with a sitting area, a great desk space, and comfortable bed. Nothing felt cheap. The finishes were fantastic, the bathroom was well-pointed and beautiful with a great tub and walk-in shower. The views were great.

Service: Service was excellent. Actually far above what I have come to expect from a W. Check-in was efficient and quick. Requests (for example, extra towels) were handled quickly. The staff was extremely friendly.

Fitness center: the fitness center is great, with several treadmills, ellipticals and cycles (all have their own television sets and - if I remember correctly - ports for your iPods/Phones/Pads). Free weights and nautilus machines are also available. Towel service and bottled water is free at the gym, which is staffed from the early morning to the evening. The gym itself is open 24 hrs a day. I ended up there working out at 3-4AM for the first few days as I was jet lagged - flew in from New York).

Food: The food was excellent, well-above par for a hotel of this calibre. Room service was prompt the food arrived warm and presented nicely. The breakfast buffet is awesome - choice is the operative word. Dim sum, charcuterie, fresh fruit, omelette station, cereal, etc etc. You name it, they probably have it. And it's done very well. I would probably stay here again just for breakfast.

Bar/lounge: I didn't head to the bar, which is a roped off area right next to the check-in desk. I thought that was kind of funny. Wasn't really my scene - I'm more a Beatrice Inn NYC circa 2007 person - but people looked like they were having fun, and I'm sure the bar staff was as great as the rest of the hotel's staff.

Overall, I had a fantastic stay. Ten days is not an insignificant period of time - so it was important that the hotel experience be excellent - especially with no availability at most of the hotels in Taipei. Despite being completely booked, the W Taipei staff did an excellent job and if they were overwhelmed at any point, I certainly didn't notice and it certainly didn't affect service. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Brian8121,

We appreciate your uplifting and detailed review on us. To bring you a WOW experience is our commitment. Our talents are delighted by your recognition and will keep providing our guests with the most fantastic services as what you had experienced during your stay. We look forward to your next stay, no matter it is for business or hopefully leisure.

W Taipei

Been to W Taipei? Share your experiences!