“Can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars

Le Meridien Taipei
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.38 Songren Road, Xinyi District, Taipei 110, Taiwan   |
Ranked #33 of 467 Hotels in Taipei
New York City, New York
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Rooms were amazing. I had a room on the end. It had a toilet that opens up automatically when you walk up to it. It auto-flushes.

The bathroom had a shower and a separate bathtub. The bathtub had a small LCD tv in front of it so you can enjoy that. There is an electronic shade that covers the bathroom window.

The breakfast buffet was amazing. There are made to order omelets and noodles. There are fresh cut meats, waffles, and other breads. Fruits and juices, and ice cream. Yes, some people were eating ice cream in the morning.

The closest subway station is about a 5-10 minute walk in the upscale Xinyu District. There are plenty of malls around (with food courts), and it's easy to get a taxi.

I had my wedding reception here, and it was the perfect place. Everything went smoothly, and the food was delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner or end room as those have the bathtubs, if you want one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Berkeley CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I recently stayed here with my family on a 1-night stop-over. The experience could hardly have been better. They gave us a very nice suite which was quiet and in great condition. Staff was very friendly and service was truly excellent.One of the best service experiences I have ever had in a Starwood hotel - in line with what you usually get at the Four Seasons or the Peninsula.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotel and location is good. However, the staff is not capable of solving the simplest of issues. We arrived with an infant and asked for a crib. They gave us one for one of our two nights. If they called us and said there was nothing they can do and they checked with neighboring hotels for a crib that would have been nice. Instead they just removed it without even a note or a message on what was going on. You would expect much more for a high end hotel. Big mistake for us not staying at the Grand Hyatt down the street. The service there is always excellent and the prices are actually better in most cases.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Check-in: I arrived early and unfortunately an early check-in could not be accommodated – no problem, official check-in is not until 3 PM anyways. I came back later at night to get my room keys and the Front Desk was checking in a big tour group. I was annoyed that everyone kept cutting and there was no single “line” and hotel staff were not keeping track of who should be helped next. Other than that, the Front Desk people were very pleasant. They also handle foreign currency exchanges. You need your room key to access the guest floors in the elevator. The elevators should ring louder when they arrive, I've seen some people playing on their phones and miss the elevators -- and then they just wait there, LOL.

FYI: Your room key turns on all of the electronics (lights, A/C, TV, etc.). If you’re like me and need the A/C always on, make sure you have a spare key to leave in the key holder for nothing will turn off. The hotel has a gym, sauna, and swimming pool. Oh, and wi-fi is free. Checkout is noon. Extra rollaway beds are extra. There is no refrigerator in your room.

Room: The room featured a King bed, two table chairs and a small table, a long table workstation, plenty of closet space, in-room safe, and big TV with an extensive selection of channels. There is plenty of lighting (all can be controlled by the bedside panels) from the foyer to the actual room. The window slides are electronically controlled (and keep out light pretty well). You can see your neighbors across the street. Thank you Le Meridien Taipei for having an awesome A/C system. And, for having thoughtfully placed international electrical outlets. There is a Nespresso machine and water boiler in your room. The hotel is very generous with complimentary waters too, just in your room alone. Being that the hotel only has 12 floors (I think), you will hear some street noise like I did, but it's not a problem.

Bathroom: The best part of the whole room was the extensive bathroom that featured: a separate shower and tub (with a TV), a TOTO toilet (the seat is heated) and a single wash basin. Housekeeping is very thorough replacing the many amenities and toiletries. The hotel’s toiletry brand is it’s own Le Meridien house brand. I’m sure suite guests get the “better” stuff. There was an abundance of lighting. If I had to say anything, it was the water didn't stay hot long enough while you're showering, and that was pretty consistent throughout my stay.

Service: Beyond compare. Everyone speaks English very well. Everyone was super helpful, especially the Front Desk people, the Concierges, the Doormen, and Housekeeping (daily and turndown service is provided). Whatever you need, the hotel will make sure it’s taken care of. This is something I thought was cool – when you take a taxi from the hotel, the doormen will note the taxi cab number and give you a ticket, I presume if there are any problems, you will know what taxi you took – very cool!

Food: I ate at the hotel’s restaurant, Latest Recipe for breakfast (NT$780) and dinner (NT$1390), both were buffet style. Breakfast food was mediocre, but dinner was a marked improvement and delicious. It was comparatively expensive when you could get something from a street vendor for NT$40-200. Service was also exemplary, even when it was super busy. The dinner buffet here and the W Hotel were booked pretty solid when I was here so plan accordingly.

Location: Very convenient to public transportation, including the very efficient MRT system (well, it was like a 10 minute walk to the MRT station: Taipei City Hall). It’s very close to Taipei 101 – and from Taipei 101’s immediate area you can find a lot of upscale shopping and food (in the basements of the department stores). It’s close to the Eslite bookstore too. There’s a night market probably 10 minutes away by taxi.

Overall: This is definitely not a budget hotel by any means but it’s THE hotel to stay at if you visit Taiwan. Would I stay here again? Most definitely – but I do want to try their sister hotel, the W Hotel (also very close by) next time, or not. Happy travels!

On a side note: If you need laundry service, the hotel can send it off to a local cleaner. It’s “cheaper” than using the hotel’s laundry service and the turnaround time is the same. “Cheaper” is subjective and a light load of laundry set me back NT$2360.

Room Tip: Not sure what you can really do -- except ask the hotel for a better view, perhaps of Taipei 101. I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Asia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at the Le Meridien for 2 nights and would recommend for leisure or business travelers. Check in was very efficient, with the front desk staff speaking excellent English and able to check the 3 of us in with no fuss.

The concierge was very helpful in suggesting which night markets and restaurants to visit and giving feedback on our planned itinerary and was keen to hear how we were finding his recommendations each time we ran into him during our stay.

The rooms are very well appointed, with Nespresso machines, multiple international power outlets, in wall USB charger, free wifi and the ubiquitous (in this part of the world) Toto Washlet, about the only high tech gadget missing was an ipod dock, but that may have well been there and we could not find it. We had a basic room and had requested an extra bed, so obviously the room was a bit squeezy, but didn’t feel too cramped. The hotel had thought through our stay and made sure there were towels, robes, slippers and all amenities for 3 guests.

We didn’t get the opportunity to sample any of the restaurants, but did have a drink in the bar and was impressed with the range of cocktails.

I used the gym and was impressed with the number of machines (at least 5 treadmills), how modern they were and how clean the gym was. I would go so far as to say it is the best hotel gym I have used.

Service was very good and attentive and we never had a problem getting taxis, asking for directions or being provided with umbrellas (it was raining continually during my stay).

All in all, I was very happy with Le Meridien, would recommend it to my friends and would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Le Meridien is everything you would expect from its class of hotel. it didn't disappoint on any element of my stay. The decor and rooms are beautiful and spacious and every interaction I had with a member of staff was wonderful and nothing was too much trouble. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Even though I was traveling for business, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.
Location-wise, it is also good. Walking distance from Taipei 101 and a huge mall, and right next to the subway station if you want to venture further afield.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just got back from Taipei and stayed 3 nights at Le Meridien. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and wanted to make a couple of comments:

1. Price: yes, the rate at this hotel is on the expensive side (compared to other hotels in the area). However, I do believe that you get what you pay for - especially if you're a traveler like me who appreciates good customer service and attention to details (see elaboration below).

2. SPG preferred recognition: I reserved a regular room with two single beds, and because of my Platinum status, was upgraded to a junior suite. Although the junior suite came with a king bed, the hotel room services was able to quickly move a rollaway bed into the living room of the suite (and the rollaway bed was essentially a twin sized bed with high-quality sheets and comforter that you would find in a regular room). I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel did not charge me for the rollaway bed.

3. Room: our room was always stocked with at least 4 bottles of complimentary water. Platinum status also got me complimentary access to the Executive Lounge (with fresh fruit and espresso bar, as well as happy hour with hot foods every evening) and beer and soda in the room's mini-fridge. The room also had a Nespresso machine, fresh fruit (which was replenished everyday), high-quality robes and disposable room slippers. The bathroom had an automatic toilet, L'Occitane products, a scale, and other toiletries (like cotton pads, Qtips, etc.).

4. Hotel: my reservation included complimentary breakfast for 2 at the breakfast buffet downstairs at the hotel restaurant. The breakfast buffet was fantastic, with a mix of both western and eastern cuisine. The food was fresh and hot. The hotel gym had a selection of cardio and strength training machines. The staff constantly wiped down machines after each guest finished using the machine. The water bottles and towels were always stocked. I believe there was a suana and heated pool available, although I did not visit either one. The Executive Lounge, as mentioned above, is accessible by preferred guests (unsure whether Gold level members have complimentary access, but Platinum members do). The hotel also had a cute Chocoart shop that sold French pastries and chocolates. The only noticeable drawback was the fact that the elevators constantly smelled musty (as if the air wasn't properly circulating in the elevators). It was raining the few days we stayed at the hotel, and the hotel provided big umbrellas for guest use.

5. Location: this hotel is located in the business district, 2-3 blocks from Eslite bookstore and Taipei 101 shopping center. The City Hall MRT is about 2 blocks away (underneath the W Hotel).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Le Meridien Taipei? Share your experiences!