“Friendly place to stay within reasonable budget.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chocolate Box Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taipei
Chocolate Box Backpackers
You added Chocolate Box Backpackers to your Saves list
2F, No.11-1 PuCheng Street, Daan District, Taipei 106, Taiwan   |
Ranked #58 of 183 Specialty Lodging in Taipei
4.0 of 5 stars 15 Reviews
Morristown, New Jersey
“Friendly place to stay within reasonable budget.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is one of the friendliest hostel that I've stayed in Taipei. The receptionists were very friendly and provided me with great information on local foods, night markets, attractions, etc in the area. This hostel is also within a short distance from the MRT Guting Station. Make sure you take exit 3 from the Guting station, walk straight and make a left just right before the Family Mart convenient store. From there just walk straight and you'll see it straight ahead until the road turns into a T-intersection. Also there's free wifi and free green tea.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was a great hostel. Close to transportation, one of the famous night markets, and had a nice, family/friendly atmosphere. I was here on my own but met many nice people who I often ended up going out with for meals or sightseeing. The rooms were okay, a bit small but comfortable and clean. The only complaint I have about the place is how difficult it can be to find at night, in the rain. I gave a taxi driver the address and he took me to the right area but it was so hard to see the sign and the button for the doorbell was also not well marked. Otherwise I'd highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

It was my first time staying in a big city on my own for 3 days. I've been to quite a few countries, but never alone, so staying here was really comforting and safe, especially since I didn't know Taipei at all. And the only Mandarin I know is 'What', 'I don't know', and 'I don't understand.'

I chose this place because two of my friends recommended it and I was so glad I did. It's very clean, bright and colorful! I loved it! Sure the bed was hard, but it was the best sleep I had in the 6 weeks I was in Taiwan. :) It's located close to a walking market and BTS so it was also conveniently located.

The staff were very nice and the people I met there were pretty cool! They varied between solo and group travelers, first-timers and expert backpackers, it was great! It was an eye-opening experience for me and if I'm ever back in Taipei, I'll definitely come back here again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Petaling Jaya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

my first trip to taiwan and i booked 5 days stay with chocolate box. it was a great place to meet people, and Martin is very nice and friendly to everyone! He gave good recommendations and suggestions.

i enjoy:
- the location: very near to Shida night market, and a lot of cafes and restaurants downstairs.
- the security: personal locker at the hall. at night the front door/gate is locked to and you were given the code to enter. it's safe and u can come back any time u like.
- the kitchen has everything and the fridge is huge. u feel at home. there's washing machine (free for use) and a pay-to use dryer too.
- i love the narrow balcony in front. there's a rattan-chair-swing there too. what my friend and i did was bought lotsa yummy food from shida then enjoy our supper there at the balcony while enjoying the cool winter breeze!

i dun like:
- only 2 bathrooms available. it's tiring waiting for your turn each morning/night especially when it's full house.
- the mattress is pretty hard. some people might not be able to sleep
- the hostel took in more people than they can accommodate and place them in the living room. at one point there were 4 ppl sleeping out there at the hall. i didnt enjoy having to turn the lights on when others are sleeping, or one incident, someone woke up and switch off my light when i was in the kitchen getting a drink. how rude!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks and is one of the better hostels I have stayed in. Excellent location near Shida night market, NTNU and 5 min walk to two MRT's. The manager, Nikita, is very accommodating and helpful. I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm, but the most people in the room during my stay was 4. This was good as it probably would have been very squishy with anymore than 4. There's a good atmosphere here with like-minded people to get along with easily. Good facilities including kitchen, fridge, bathrooms, laundry, tv, lounge, lockers etc. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the hard beds, but after 2 weeks I got used to it. I would consider staying here again!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Yangyang, Gangwon-do, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Good location, 5 minute walk from MRT, in a quiet residential area close to the university area with a night market, cafes, etc. But it was very difficult to find in a taxi after midnight. It is on the second floor of the building, and the markings were very hard to see at night. I made deposits and then had to change my dates, but they refunded the difference. It was full and a little crowded over the Lunar New Year holidays.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Ena-shi, Gifu-ken, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Overall I was happy I booked at this hostel. The location is great. It’s on a quiet lane, very close to a very convenient MRT stop and in a cute student neighborhood with a great night market and cute cafes and bars. The staff were super friendly and helpful and mostly spoke English very well. The other guests were also a friendly nice crowd. There was a comfortable common area where it was easy to meet other travelers and some people living in Taipei. It’s a small hostel since it’s just one floor of a three story building. So it has a very homey feel. The décor is cute if a bit worn. The place seems quite clean. There is a kitchen, free laundry, free instant coffee, free towels, and free internet. The computer in the common area is quite old and slow so it would be useful to have a lap top. The beds are very hard. This is the only place I have stayed in Taiwan so I don’t know if that’s the norm but if you are used to western mattresses you will find the beds to be kind of like sleeping on a board. If you are a light sleeper I would recommend wearing ear plugs. I stayed in the women’s dorm which is next to the common area and you could hear everything from the common area. There are usually people in there hanging out and talking until quite late and you can hear their conversation. On the whole I would say this place was a very good value for the money and would be perfectly happy to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Chocolate Box Backpackers? Share your experiences!