“Friends Star Hotel , Ho-Ping W. Rd” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Friends Hotel-Yo Xing Regency

Friends Hotel-Yo Xing Regency
You added Friends Hotel-Yo Xing Regency to your Saves list
Friends Hotel-Yo Xing Regency
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.11 Section1, Ho-Ping West Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei, Taiwan   |
Ranked #302 of 467 Hotels in Taipei
Bangkok, Thailand
“Friends Star Hotel , Ho-Ping W. Rd”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights during Sept 18- 22, 2010. Room is clean and bed is not too soft , it's good for my back. The hotel is very easy to access from MRT Guting, just go to exit 8 then you will see the hotel just 1 minute walk from the station. Breakfast is Ok but I prefer Chinese than Western because there are more dishes to choose and they change few menus every day . The Western breakfast is never changed (ham,egg, bread with butter and jam). Coffee maker is easy to use but if you are not coffee lover just try Oolong tea, the taste is very fascinating .
If you stay more than 4 days, they give you free trip to Tauyaun International airport but if you stay less than 4 days, the free trip will bring you to Taipei Main Station.
On the right hand side of the hotel, there is a small bakery shop, their cakes are very delicious. Try strawberry moose in a small cute cup, you will ask for more!

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

we stayed at this hotel for over a week and found it great value. We were given a free airport transfer and found the rooms clean and the staff very helpful and knowledgeable. The location was great, right on top of the metro exit and near Shi Da area which is filled with good cheap restaraunts and places to spend the evening. If ever back in Taipei this would be my choice.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

We've stayed at the Friends Star many times, in fact, I've recommended this property to relatives and friends and they've stayed there as well.

The last trip was with my family during March 2008. We were there on family business. Our rooms were on the 9th floor, 911 and 922. 911 was a room in the "middle" of the complex, which meant there were no windows. It was a Japanese-style room, with a full size bed and a small seating area with a table, as well as a make-up table and mirror. Our room, 922, was an exceptionally small room - there were no closets to hang out clothes in and there was minimal walking room. We didn't mind all that much since we didn't expect to stay in the room too long. There are min-fridges in every room - but you can easily store your own purchased goods from the neighborhood 7-11.

There is complimentary buffet breakfast each morning, both Western and Chinese style. There are an abundance of choices - my mom really liked the home-cooked vegetables.

The rooms are clean, and the housekeeping staff is friendly. The rooms come with the standard amenities of shampoo, soap, lotion, as well as toothbrushes and toothpaste.

Friends Star is located very conveniently to an MRT stop, GuTing Exit #8.

If you are a business person or even just a couple on a budget, this hotel is definitely for you.

• Liked — Close to transportation, clean but still within budget.
  • Disliked — Some rooms don't have windows! Which is pretty common in Asia... you definitely have to ask for one.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Morgan Hill
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

My family and I have just returned from a 2-week vacation from Taiwan. We stayed at this hotel on our last 3 nights before our departure. My wife booked the hotel online. We got it for around US$50/night. First impression of the hotel was very clean. The location was great since it is next to the Taipei subway which is very convenience. One thing I really dislike about the hotel is the smell of smoke. The hotel clearly posted no smoking signs and you could still smell heavy smoke on the hall way and in the guest room. The room we were given smelled like a crack house. There was also an ashtray in the guest room even this is a non-smoking hotel (kind of oxymoron). When we approached the cleaning lady, she replied saying nothing much they could do. My wife called up the front desk and demanded for another room since we could not stand the smell. The front desk lady was professional enough to give us another room at different floor. The room was better but the hallway still smell a little.
Most of the hotels in Taiwan provide free breakfast and so does this one. The breakfast was average with toast (butter, jelly, and peanut butter) and plain porridge plus coffee, milk and OJ. The breakfast room was very small with only a few small tables. If you show up during peak hour (around 7:30-8:30am), you may end up sharing the small table with other guests. The hotel provides free internet. There was a small gym but we never used it. The hotel provides free shutter to the CKS International airport if you stay more than 3 nights which saves you around (1,000NT). The hotel also provides shutter to drop you off anyway within the city limit but you need to notify the front desk 2 hours in advance.
Overall, this is a clean, cheap and reasonable hotel. If you have asthma or sensitive to smoke, stay away from this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room smells like crack house
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2006

We were a party of 4. My husband and I, my one year old son and my maid. The rooms were terribly small. There was no walking room left the minute we opened our luggage. The breakfast was tucked right up on the 7th floor in a tiny restaurant. The spread was terrible. The staff was also not friendly at all. Thank goodness we only stayed there for one night before flying off to Hualien.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

***Winner: TripAdvisor's Best Review of a Hotel With No Reviews Contest***

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Friends Star hotel from August 28th - September 9th, 2005 (a total of 12 nights).

This is a hotel chain, which is reputable. Nothing sleazy or 'motel' like, so you can stay here even with children in confidence.

The hotel has an airport pick-up service, which costs 1100NT (less than $40USD roundtrip) for your group, not individually. If you stay for more than 7 nights, this service is free of charge.

At first glance, the hotel is very small. It is situated on a busy street in an area that houses many electronic stores. It is a fairly clean area, with a KFC across the street and a McDonald's across another street. Around the corner, there are coffee shops, a 7-11 and many food shops. Literally right outside the hotel is the GuTing MRT Station (Exit #8) so taking their form of the subway is not a hassle at all. This station is also very convenient in terms of getting to the other places. Although it is not a central stop, it is a hub for two other lines on the MRT and is a fairly 'central' point on the MRT map so that you are never really far from the other places. I'm not familiar with the bus system in Taipei, but there were a few buses that stopped in front of our hotel as well. There are two universities in the area, one that is quite famous. This is a safe neighborhood as you will see many students milling about.

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 9AM. Check-in time is at 12PM so they notified us that in order for us to check-in at 9AM, we would have to pay 200NT for every hour (600NT total for the 3 extra hours). This came to about less than $20 so we agreed, even though we thought this was quite unreasonable since the room was ready. One note - be sure to ask for a room with a window because Taiwan hotels have rooms without windows and for those that are semi-claustrophobic, like me, I need to see the sun and the moon. These rooms also cost a little more than the rooms without windows.

The room is cozy; not large but not too small. Just what you can expect in a small country such as Taiwan. The bathroom is full of amenities - toothbrushes, toothpaste, comb, shampoo, etc. The TV is fairly large and there are a good number of channels to select from. One thing that bothered me about the room was the fact that it had speakers installed on the ceiling, where you can listen to the radio. When you turn off the radio, you can still hear faint music from the speakers. I am a very sensitive person to noises so of course, this bothered me at night when I tried to sleep. My boyfriend heard nothing, so it all depends on the person.

Complimentary breakfast is served from 7:30-10:30. HOWEVER, if you get there past 9AM, there is usually a lack of selection available. They have both Western (toast, eggs, meat, fruit, cereal) and Chinese (rice porridge, man to, 7-8 dishes) as well as the usual coffee, tea and juices. I have to commend them on this as there is a wide selection and it is provided FREE OF CHARGE.

The one thing I strongly disliked about this hotel (which is also true for many of the hotels in Taiwan) is that they did not let you carry your own hotel room key with you when you left the property. They keep the keys at the counter. Normally I would not have qualms with this, however, there is not much security in terms of who can have access to these keys. I don't know if they recognize us or not (since the ladies at the counter rotates everyday) but all you had to do was tell them your room # and you received the key. There is also no computer system; everything is manual.

We paid 1875NT per night, which comes out to be about $60USD. In American standards, this is dirt cheap, especially for the type of room we had. I would recommend this hotel for those on a budget, and those wishing to be in a good area.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Friends Hotel-Yo Xing Regency? Share your experiences!