“Fantastic culinary experience” 5 of 5 stars

Oxford
7 attraction reviews
“Fantastic culinary experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Did the introduction to Taiwanese cooking with Jodie and so glad I did. It was fantastic having a one-to-one lesson and by the end of the day I felt like I had made a new friend as well. Food we made was delicious, hardly needed to eat that night! Jodie will let you watch what she does or get your hands dirty and join in - it's your choice.

PS Take the bus rather than a taxi for an even better adventure.

Singapore
“This cooking school is a unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

I've attended other cooking schools in Asia, but Jodie's was unique. I think that is because the classes are one on one, and she's a very enthusiastic teacher and an experienced cook but she seemed to be adjusting the class to the my level. The experience was more like hanging out with a food expert friend who is very patient but she still encourages you to try everyhing.

The dishes were using very fresh ingredients that Jodie purchased in her local market and at lunchtime we had a delicious lunch that we had cooked during the class

This class is quite hands on, some others are not. I'm not saying that's better, that depends on the individual, but if I go to a cooking class I know I prefer DOing to just watching. I've attended other cooking schools like The Blue Elephant in Thailand, this place is much smaller, but may be that's too your advantage too because it means it doesn't get overtaken by some loudmouth tourist derailing the class by asking idiotic questions every 2 minutes!

So I think I learned a lot more. I'm not a great cook, but everyone at home has said they were impressed with my new Taiwanese cooking skills. They asked me to make more onion pancake next time, so they're not just trying to be polite!

knoxville, tn
“If you go to Taipei, this is a great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We were in Taipei over new year's and Jodie was gracious enough to give us a cooking class on New Year's Eve. We had such a wonderful time... it was the best money we spent in Taipei!

Visit Jodie's website and email her and she'll email you back really quickly and set the whole thing up. Jodie taught us to prepare several excellent dishes including sauces and dips and dressings. Our favorites were the spicy szechuan pineapple and the white sesame paste she made was incredible too...

The class is private and lasts about 4-5 hours! We had a great time learning from Jodie but also just talking to her and getting to know her a little bit. We learned more about Taiwan in these 4 hours than we did the rest of the time we were there just about.

If you're looking for something off the beaten path to do when you visit Taipei, we really can't recommend this highly enough. We had a wonderful time. Thanks Jodie!

- Greg and Jessica Adkins
Knoxville, TN

Seattle
“Fun and truly educational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

Jodie's Kitchen provides a personalized chinese cooking class that I strongly recommend. Great communication skills, and (to my untutored palate), great cooking skills.

If you're a frustrated amateur Asian cook like me, getting the chance to troubleshoot your technique with an expert who speaks your language is priceless.

Like, why can't I even cook a simple fried rice that tasted as good as I enjoyed in Asia? Here's the answer, at last: I was using a different grade of rice, and the moisture levels are different depending where you are and how the rice was stored, too. So I just had to pay attention to my rice before I even started cooking or adjust my cooking technique. I tried it out, and it seems to be true

Asia Traveling
“Exceeds our expectations in almost every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

This has been the surprise highlight of our great trip to Taiwan (one month), so that we are seriously thinking about 'can we reserve one more class before we leave?' Maybe dumplings next time?

The website did not really give much exact information but we first contacted by email a little unsurely, and Jodie suggested the class for us, which was lovely.

Jodie is a sweet and friendly person, younger than we expected, and she welcomed us with tea and snacks while she introduced the class and culture and we chatted for a while.

The class went very smooth and easy, everything felt quite relaxed, which I think is actually a sign of experience and careful preparation.

Not long ago, we joined the famous 'cooking class' in Chiang Mai in Thailand, which was really good cheap fun, but I almost can't compare that 'school' to this School in Taipei. The difference is Thailand was just a 'light entertainment' but this is a serious business, the real deal. We enjoyed ourselfs here in Taipei, but we also really learned a lot, and we learned very quickly. There's no other students and your getting 100% of teachers attention. The price was a lot higher than in Thailand, but if you're serious about cooking, then you get what you pay for.

We learned a lot of recipes in a little time, for example, the sesame noodles she showed us how to cook were so easy to make and really delicious. And the spicy pineapple - incredible. We are in the middle of a long tour but I wish I could go home tomorrow to practice in case I forget. She gave us copies of everything, and told what to do if we can't find all the right ingredient, but I worry if I'll begin to forget that special local flavor.

The class was supposed to be four hours, but there felt like there was no pressure when we kept asking questions and four hours had stretched into nearly five hours by the end.

We were worried about the 'language barrier' that often blocks us in Taiwan, but, surprise, Jodie speaks perfect English, better than me! Her explaining was very clear. Our only small disappointment was that we hoped to precede the class by a trip to the food market like we did in Chiang Mai, but there wasn't time this time.

We had some problems finding our way to the school because of this language barrier, but got there in the end. In fact It is not far from the downtown and Taipei 101, but I would suggest that they could improve their map or make a bigger sign outside. When you are going, make sure your hotel desk write the address clearly for the taxi driver!

Apart from this class, we have been surprised to discover the secret that Taiwan is like an 'Asia food heaven', with every sort of Chinese cooking, and Taiwanese, Japanese, Thai and more. Every time we eat, we get amazing quality and usually quite low prices.

Been to Jodie's Kitchen Cooking Class? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Jodie's Kitchen Cooking Class, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.