“Beautiful sightseeing over Pokhara and Annapurna range” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Tours
Attraction Details
netherlands
19 attraction reviews
“Beautiful sightseeing over Pokhara and Annapurna range”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We ( both 58) took THE first morningflight at 9.30 hour. Very expierienced personal. We had à very safe feeling. At first by car to Serangkot ,à little walk ( 10 min.) and a lot of time to take pictures. The guys have there own camera,s on long poles you can hold in your hand. The flight was well organised and we had a very save feeling. If present ask for Chris as your pilot. Very recommended. Hè has flown with à 90 years old lady.

Visited May 2013

Calgary, Canada
17 attraction reviews
“Save your money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have previously been paragliding.Three friends had an amazing experience which convinced me to go paragliding with Mountain Hawk. Wish I could say the same.

The front end customer service was great:
- Before booking the experience, I inquired about the start/end times as I was to embark on a rural home stay and needed to communicate a pick up time for that. I was assured the whole experience would take 2 hours.
- I was picked up on time in a well branded land rover type luxury vehicle
- the fellow who picked me up was a great conversationalist en route to their office

Here's where things begin to slip and slide.
Great conversation continues as we arrive at the office to sign waivers. There, I received the upsell to purchase a CD of photos for 1700Rs taken during the flight - of course, who wouldn't want these moments captured? We then waited another 45 min for the jeep to take you up to Sarangkot in an old, beat up jeep (part necessity? part smoke and mirrors?). We were the first trip of the day, the staff were aware of my next engagement - and several times I inquired about the time lapse and was advised....5 more minutes. I couldn't imagine what the delay was? all while the land rover was parked.

During the ride up the mountain, I enjoyed sitting in the back of the jeep with the pilots and engaging conversation. We arrive at the drop off point, where all the companies take off from. You take a steep walk up to the launch area. Some of the trail was stairs, while the rest was very steep, grassy trail. Unlike other areas experienced in Nepal, no one was concerned nor attentive to my footing getting up this trail. I met my pilot and listened to his instructions for readiness and take off. Running off the mountain was a breeze (might be different if heights bother you). We veered off from the "pack" to locate the elusive thermals to take our flight higher. My ride was educational and informative as my pilot informed me of many technical aspects of the flight. During the flight, he brought out his extension camera to capture the experience, and for the last portion, handed the equipment to me.

Sadly, I was the first of my group to land. For 20-30 minutes, I continued to watch others in the air, then land. Being on the ground gave me a different adventure watching the chute packing and sub-culture of the locals who assist. While waiting, the pilot and I leaned against his chute while we had a conversation about gliding sub-culture. These are the real heroes of this adventure bringing their technical skill, equipment and passion for the sport. Once all pilots were packed, we returned to the office to be dropped off while the second tour departed. I was past my meeting time for my home stay meet up.

Additional time was consumed while people's photos were being downloaded and CD's created. My CD was the last to be finished. And then I waited, and waited, and waited for transport back to my hotel. Avoidance was the customer service level at this point....that, and being told 5 minutes. 5 min = 45 min. During this time, I recommended they call a taxi to take me back.

All told, I was 90 minutes late for my meet up. I would have preferred being told a more accurate time frame and not inconvenience so many others waiting for me. It's about managing expectations. This felt more like a bait and switch versus a thrilling adventure. Once they have your money, the relationship is over. While the front end of the experience provided great customer service, the back end left a lot to be desired. My flight was short versus thrilling. Compared to other photos viewed at the shop and other participants, mine were not very photogenic (referencing the shot taken vs how I looked in it). And finally, reading the one other review posted for this company - I was equally disappointed to learn I paid full price of 7500Rs. If you add the cost of the flight, the photos and pilot tip - 10,000+ Rs buys you a lot in Nepal.

Save your money for many better experiences.

Visited November 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Good company, but you have to hold their feet to the fire”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked the 30 minute paragliding package after some serious haggling on the price. I was 5000 Rs, and she was 4000 Rs. I had an issue with the wording in the paperwork as they advertise they are fully insured, but what the paperwork actually says, is they are insured against you suing them for injuries and damages. The customer is not protected at all under this contract.

We went ahead and did the flight; however, my flight only lasted nine minutes, while hers lasted 30. When we returned to the shop, I had a discussion with one of the apparently many owners/managers. The owner acknowledged that I had a short flight, but still expected full payment. After further haggling, another owner/manager/staff person asked what I expected. I told them that since I paid for 30 minutes, yet only received 9 minutes, that they should give me a discount. In the end I paid 3000 Rs instead of 5000 Rs. I left happy, and they were happy with the final decision.

This company could do to learn western business ideals, as westerners are their main customers. Hopefully, they learned from this and will honour the time sold.

I would recommend this company, as they were safe and professional. Just make sure you stand up for what you believe is right.

Also, a laminated price list is worthless if every single paragliding company in Pokhara gives the same discounted prices. Advertising the flight is 7500 Rs, but *always* discounting it to 5000 Rs, only means your regular prices is 5000 Rs.

Visited October 2012