“Homely and comfortable place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gauri Shankar Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pokhara
Gauri Shankar Guest House
You added Gauri Shankar Guest House to your Saves list
Gauri Ghat, Lakeside, Pokhara, Nepal   |
Ranked #36 of 220 Pokhara B&B and Inns
colombo
“Homely and comfortable place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The hotel is very clean and the room was really comfortable, clean and very nice . The welcome we got from the Hotel was awesome with a basket of fresh fruits and flowers which made it very pleasant. The buffet was very good and the staff are really friendly.

Room Tip: we were 3 so we got a big room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Agadir, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We visited 5 or 6 guest houses in Pokhara before Gauri Shankar. The welcoming was nice and friendly, the owner and the staff make you feel like you're part of the family. You won't find a better value for your money!

From the breakfast on the roof, the tea-time homemade 'delicious' cakes, and the regenerating pasta dishes coming back from a trekking or a day on the lake, all was perfect for us.

They helped us a lot in preparing our trekking in the Annapurnas and we had 90% of our diners there (we stayed 10 days).

It's no luxury or show off, just a simple, clean, friendly place were you'll meet other travellers around the diner table to exchange tips and hints.

We'll stay there again if we're ever lucky enough to go back to Nepal!

Room Tip: we had a room on the first floor which was really nice
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

As with many things, Gauri Shankar Guest House (GSGH) hits the nail on the head with its website description of the "relaxed and homely environment" that it offers. It really was a 'home away from home', for the 8 weeks that my friend and I stayed whilst completing our medical elective. We found that it boasted many of the things we (literally) yearned for: friendly and helpful staff, simple but clean rooms, delicious food and an inviting, relaxed atmosphere that you couldn't wait to return to at the end of the day.

In terms of rooms: for single travellers: Room 5 is the pick of the bunch, offering a cheap price and with Wi Fi accessible within the room. Room 12 is awesome if you're a couple wanting comfort on a budget -the white-tiled bathroom (with a bath) and large, sunny space were favourite features for myself and my husband when he visited. All the rooms I saw were colourfully decorated and kept pristine clean. You're also more likely to get a hot shower than not. In monsoon season, I would recommend the downstairs rooms.

Special mentions:

-The Holy Garden Restaurant creates a feeling of recluse and relaxation, its foliage making it difficult to believe that Lakeside Central is only a few hundred metres away. I saw a lot of people drawn off the streets by this garden.

-The food is strictly vegetarian and so tasty that omnivores (such as myself) don’t miss the obvious advantages of meat ie flavour. The broccoli soup was a personal highlight, while the sticky date pudding with wicked toffee sauce and the caramel slice were as good as my grandmother makes. Importantly for the prolonged traveller, the food there is nutritious –generous on the vegetables (as many will know, ‘vegetarian dishes’ don’t necessarily equate to generous portions of vegetables in Nepal), but easy on the fat. Listed on the breakfast menu is also an item that could attract any Australasian traveller: VEGEMITE!!! Moreover, this is served with toast that is so thick, crunchy and divine that even this mundane, staple kitchen items requires mention (it came close to beating Vogels)

-So do the tourist packages. You cannot wander through Lakeside without being bombarded by offers of various trekking/tourist options. Thankfully, GSGH offers deals just as good and at a reasonable price. Our 3 day, 2 night package to Chitwan was superb and a testament to the thoughtful management of GSGH who had personally travelled to arrange the best budget accom. Some of the staff are experienced trekking guides (ie Ram has over 20 years experience) and while typical trekking options are available-such as Poon Hill-, they offer novel treks as well ie a 3 day trek through villages for those that want a true Nepali experience.

-Lastly, the staff are superb. GSGH is under Nepali/Western management, and unlike other guest houses we initially stayed in that also cited this, GSGH brings together the best of both the Western and Eastern worlds. The management have clout and initiative and go to lengths to ensure your stay is a happy and comfortable one.
I would HIGHLY recommend GSGH for those travellers seeking a relaxing and comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Grosseto, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

quiet and friendly location for visiting pokhara. wonderful roof top cafè with mountain view and reasonable prices.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
George Town, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Not only is it clean, it is the one and only accom that appreciates green. It is set among green trees & plants and a cosy gazebo in the lush gardens. We accidentally found this guesthouse , set abt 2 min off the Main Pokhara road at the Lake. Price is very good. Paid US11 for a double en suite w hot water. I am personally attracted to the decor & design of the whole structure. A quaint poka dotted boutique guesthse ! cute. HIGHLY RECOMENDED. and the service is excellent too. We personally met the owners, Australian Lady and a local Nepalese. Very friendly. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

The garden area is really pleasant and rooms are ok even the maintenance could be better.
Prices for a single rooms are around 7 us in high season. The problem came when I asked prices for different activities ( rafting - paragliding,... ). Prices was higher ( eg about 15us more for 1h paragliding,...). Then I asked them if the service was different, but starting this moment relationship turned very bad... I booked my activities next door and the day after they asked me to leave the place arguing that they were fully book .... I moved VAGABOND GHEST HOUSE, in the alley just in front, a very nice place!. Then, if you'll expect a stay in Gauri Shankar be sure of your booking and close your mouth about your activities !!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I travelled in Pokhara in July/August, and ended up staying there for two weeks. I ended up in Gauri Shankar based on a recommendation of a friend I met on a bus, who had been in Pokhara for a month. It was warm, friendly, ideal.

I think one thing that makes this place really stand out is that it really is a family run place. I even went on a two day hike to visit the families of Ram and Harka, who run this hotel. I will remember the evenings on the porch, where someone just picked up a guitar and we all gathered around and sang; or Ram fiddling with one of the puzzles at 6:30am in the morning as we waited for everyone to breakfast on the last day. Not only was I a mere visitor, but I got to really chat with the people who ran this place, and judging from the photos and stories, I suspect that I was not a particular exception. The people who run this place are sincere, honest people who were willing to share their lives with me, and I stayed much longer in Pokhara than I originally intended.

Note about the rooms - they vary quite a bit, so see if you can get the ones upstairs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Gauri Shankar Guest House? Share your experiences!