“Very Ok” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 69 Hotels in Pokhara
İstanbul, Türkiye
“Very Ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

If you dont know how hotels are in Nepal, it will be very confusing for you. In Nepal, electry city is during 6 hours, 18 hours there is no electry city.. Hotel Mandap has electry city 24 hours, hot shower and WIFI.. I was very very ok during my stay and its very located in Thamel..
I definitely recommend it..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012 via mobile

The Mandap seemed nice on first inspection, so I took a room for the night. It's only when I moved on that I discovered its downsides. A hard bed, smelly quilts, broken toilet seat, water that barely go down in the toilet. The place advertised hot water 24 hours, but there wasn't any when I took my shower. Worst thing was that the room was dump worth some moulds on the ceiling. The smell was bad and made it harder to sleep. Obviously it was Very poorly maintained. On the upside, the Mandap is well located, surprisingly quiet, the staff is nice and there is wifi.

The place would have deserved 2 stats if it wasn't for the price. Asking for 25$ for this kind of a room? Give me a break, even after bargaining it down, the place was still so overpriced. For half the price you could get a much better room. Hence the one star mark.

• Stayed March 2012
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

I came here for a trek to the Mt Everest base camp; so I stayed in hotel Mandap for 2 nights before and 1 night after the trek. The hotel is located in the heart of the 'trekker's district' of Kathmandu called Thamel; and is just opposite a bustling street where pedestrians compete with vehicles for space. As an Indian I'm no stranger to this, but some of my Western friends were caught by surprise (only initially). The hotel has a very decent restaurant which serves good breakfast (American and the usual Continental one). The rooms look slightly old-ish, the bathroom was in need of some cleaning. Towels are provided and the air-conditioner works just fine. The best thing about the hotel is the helpful owner with whom we (my friends and I) chatted until late night on the Sherpa and Nepali culture; the Nepalese Royal family and even Maoists. That was a plus point for me; I didn't sleep in my room for long anyway.
Just round the corner to the right is a second-hand book shop; perfect to pick up something in the beginning of a trek (stocks many 'first editions'). It's good value for money and I have booked it again for my trip this year to Nepal. Good for friends, trekkers and solo travelers. Business travelers (unless on a tight budget) and couples on a romantic getaway can find a better hotel.

Room Tip: Try not to take rooms on the same floor as the lobby; the windows open out to a back alley. Try to g...
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights and found the room to be good. I had a room facing the street and found it a bit noisy in the morning between 5 and 6 am. It seemed to be just people talking.

The manager and staff were very efficient and helpful. I had no problem with the Internet access and found it quite pleasant sitting on the balcony looking out over the lake either reading, netting or just admiring the view.

It is about a 5 minute walk to the start of the tourist shops.

• Stayed May 2011
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

I booked Hotel Mandap for my first day in a 4 day trip to Kathmandu with my wife with apprehension. All 3 start and above hotels were beyond my budget. On reaching Kathmandu, hotel ambiance was a pleasant surprise. It has a great bakery on premises, and an excellent garden restaurant. Room was clean, and had running hot water, and free internet. On our first day, we had lunch and dinner at other places in Thamel, though we noticed that the Mandap hotel restaurant had a fireplace, which kept the indoor part of restaurant warm in evenings.

Nonetheless, I was still unsure whether to change to some higher class hotel the next morning, when we came down for the complimentary breakfast in their garden restaurant. By the time breakfast was over, we had decided to stay in Mandap for the full 4 days. The breakfast was amazing, and was served with grace and smile.

We immediately talked to manager, and he agreed to extend our stay. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, free internet, clean room, excellent restaurant, and excellent bakery throughout our stay. Ill heartily recommend Mandap to anyone on a budget, and looking for great food and clean rooms in Thamel area in Kathmandu.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Bhopal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

It was my first time in Kathmandu, and I did what I usually avoid. I approached the travel-agency desk inside the airport. I told them my limit and they choose Hotel Mandap for me with a complementary Taxi-ride to the hotel. Hotel is right in the heart of KTM, Thamel, the tourist area. As you enter the premises you will find a nice little bakery with an excellent coffee and sweets which can be taken at the beautifully maintained garden-café. The hotel-lobby is a little outdated but clean and organised. Check in is fast and efficient. Rooms are as outdated as lobby but clean and simple furnished. AC is working properly in case they have no power cut. Bathroom is very simple and could have been much better maintained. Breakfast á la carte is included in room rates and very tasty.

Now the price - After the first night I aproached the manager and got a reasonable 35% discount for the following few nights. At the new rate the hotel really was value for money.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Lausanne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

Rooms are very basic. We choose the cheapest one on ground level. We choose this hotel because it include internet. Don't expect high transfer rate and good connexion but it was very helpful. Good breakfast with a nice bakery just in front.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Mandap? Share your experiences!