“Great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 74 Hotels in Pokhara
london
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Now back home I had the time to reflect on my trip. Hotel Glacier was definitely the best place I stayed in Nepal. The room was light, large and sparklingly clean with everything working, especially impressed with the wi-fi!

I knew about the construction from the other reviews, but I’m glad I have made the choice to stay regardless. The work did not affect me at all, but again I came to spend my time in Pokhara and not to sit in the room during the day! I’m sure that they kept the working hours to the time specified 8 am -6 pm, I never heard them!
All the staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast very tasty and actually not having a restaurant at the hotel was good opportunity to explore many other places around, some just few minutes’ walk away.
The hotel is in a quite location, but very close to the busy centre. Opposite the hotel is a lovely place to sit by the lake or take the boat.
I also loved the many paintings on the walls of the hotel, it felt more like a gallery and indeed when I asked the owner, Rajendra, he told me that he did run a gallery some time ago! He was also very helpful with local advice, organising trips and generally good at listening and answering many questions. I stayed for 3 days and loved it.
Thank you all for memorable stay.

PS Bandipur is a lovely quite place and well worth a visit if you could find the time .The town square is very beautiful, very historic and mostly free from tourists. It is half way between Kathmandu and Pokhra, ideal break on the way.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After surviving a series of low-budget, medium-quality hotels in Nepal, I arrived in Pokhara after a bus journey from hell! A friend had recommended the Hotel Glacier on the lakeside and had given me the name of the owner Rajendra, based upon his personal integrity and on the hotel's value for money and quality of services. I was to be very pleasantly surprised.

When I had called from the bus to book, the manager had passed me to Rajendra personally who was charming and immediately pointed out that there was an extension under construction close to the Glacier. I asked him about noise, dust etc and he was honest and assured me that no building work would be done between 7:00pm 08:00am and there would be no dust or extreme noise during working hours. He also agreed that he would offer me a quiet second floor room and at a rate reflecting the minor inconvenience.

I was delighted with the large and very light room (number 333), the quality bathroom, with everything functioning, and the cleanliness of the whole hotel was very impressive. The staff were all extremely courteous and attentive and the breakfast was good. Rajendra organised for us buses, advised on various local trips and was always ready to discuss options. How nice to find a well-informed hotel owner who does not push and who listens to his cutomers' needs! I must mention for the lover of local art and culture that the Glacier is full of paintings by regional artists, a good collection from impressionist and abstract to more traditional local oils. I enjoy staying in small family run hotels where a personal touch is added and felt at home at the Glacier. I will be back and hope to feel able to give a full five rating when the new extension is completed.

I recovered my sanity and enjoyed my three days in Pokhara thanks to Rajendra and his team at the Glacier. Now another bus journey......

Room Tip: Room 333 for space and light
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just stayed at this hotel last week and I am very confused by all the good ratings...first of all the hotel did not mention the nonstop CONSTRUCTION right next door....and by next door I mean 20 feet from my window. The first room we got was run down and the shower barely worked. Almost no pressure and the towels resembled dirty rags I use to clean the floors of my apartment. The toilet and showering area are right next to each other on a white tiled floor. Prison style. Switched to another room on the 2nd floor and shower pressure was good but beds are rock hard and there were ants all over the toilet. I would recommend looking elsewhere. Not a good value.

By the way, if you choose this spot regardless, bring your own toilet paper and good luck.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The rooms we had were excellent - massive beds, good bathrooms and everything very comfortable and with lots of character. The hotel staff were also very friendly and helpful. The location is excellent from the point of view of convenience for shops and restaurants although, not the quietest place.

The hotel currently has a major construction project in what I think must have been its front garden. We did not know about this in advance, so it was a shock, because you have to walk through the construction to get to the front door. The construction site is not noisy because the builders are using mainly hand tools and muscle power, but it really spoils what is a really pretty hotel. To make up for the construction, the hotel management, to their credit, did immediately offer us a free sunset or sunrise trip, which was really good, apart from the somewhat scary driving.

I visited in early April 2013. I would think the construction will last for a few months. I would have given this hotel a much higher rating without the construction or even if we had known about it in advance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have rated this Hotel a 5-Star only based upon future potential (after construction is fully completed), together with the actual current quality of the rooms (furnishings, cleanliness, comfort), the central location, the included very good and very full Breakfast (eggs any style, Toast, Bacon and Sausage, scallop potatoes with onion tomato and capsicum, Juice, and Pot of Coffee or Tea), and especially the awesomely helpful and courteous Staff.

HOWEVER, I must honestly emphasize and FOREWARN that current massive Construction project detracts significantly from being able to enjoy a stay here at this time. The entire front of the Hotel and entrance I would describe as a 'disaster zone'; and, of course the daytime noise is quite disturbing (I note that Raj 'guarantees' the construction hours will 'only' be from 8am-5pm, but of course those hours seem to get 'stretched' a bit (more often it seems starting as early as 7am). Regrettably, I was not warned by the Owner Raj prior to arrival of the situation, but instead when confirming my Reservation he stated "Upgraded into a Deluxe as You Mentioned You are A contributer on TA (Trip Advisor)". Only after our arrival, did he change his tune to say the upgrade and discount were in fact offered on account of the construction (and then also further kindly offered a private Sunset Tour to the top of Royal Mountain, which was enjoyable and appreciated). Though I understand Raj doesn't want to scare away potential customers, not being open and candid when potential customers first make inquiry is not the way to earn loyalty and a good reputation. Truthfully, I would not have chosen to book here if I had known the situation, even with the offered upgrade and discount. But, when the construction is actually and fully completed, a stay at this Hotel would be Highly Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I arrived severely sick, I had four nights there and only left my room for one afternoon. So it's safe to say I got to know the hotel room. With the BEST electricity I experienced anywhere in Nepal (almost constant) I was actually able to fully charge things, and the wifi was great and constant. A large double bed, large comfy room, heating, a tv, bath/shower and fairly good room service. Very very kind people genuinely looking to help. They kept offering to take me to the hotel and would call just to check on me and offer to go buy me medicine. Extremely helpful in organising your plans too. They have a complementary drop off and a travel desk. I can completely recommend Hotel Glacier to anybody!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Guangzhou
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My companion and I had booked two nights initially, but we extended our stay. All of the cheerful, friendly staff made us feel welcome, and like we were the only guests….which we were not. Rooms were clean, especially and remarkably the floor…in spite of the construction that was just a few meters away. The only shortfall I found was for showers: the water was warm but never hot. On the other hand was a small but critical bonus: one electrical outlet worked all day long -- a huge benefit for charging batteries.
During our first full day we started making plans for the rest of our stay in Nepal. Rajendra began learning our interests and impressed us with his local and national knowledge and connections. I was struck first with his ability to quickly adapt to our changes in plans, arranging a paraglider flight at an off time on short notice and later accommodating some new friends we’d met on a trek.
We guessed rightly that he would make an excellent planner and arranger for the rest of our time in Nepal. He suggested a range of plans, with a good price. He was also astute in guessing our inclinations and arranged hotels in semi-secret out-of-the-way places. I’ll leave those places a secret; you can ask him yourself. We had great guides and a great time. I plan to return to Nepal someday, and I’ll use their services again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Glacier Pokhara? Share your experiences!