“Good Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 149 Hotels in Kathmandu
Vasilikos, Greece
“Good Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is my first visit and first stay in this hotel blue horizon Kathmandu Thamel I will flying from Varanasi India in afternoon flight. One of reprehensive they will collect me on airport (Free airport pick up service). They have three small buildings very nice garden and excellent room. 24hr hot shower and room service at night also. I will book this hotel on my friend recommend. I will stay there 2 nights before my treks to Everest base camp. After treks I am not stay this hotel because I will fly back to night around 11:45. They give me one nice extra room on free of cost because I need my refreshment. I hope they give me airport Drop at night also.
I will go back again doing any other treks and using this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We booked online through lonely planet. We were given a dark, mouldy room (our clothes we hung stank so much from the mould we had to have them washed later) with blood suckers thriving on the bathroom floor. There were nicer rooms, but this was what we were given.

The staff tried to upsell you at every turn. For example we were told the banks were closed and we would get the best exchange rate at the front desk. The banks were open, and paid better rates as did the local money exchanges. They tried to convince us to leave the guide we had hired and go with their firm -o and only stopped bugging us about this when we told them we had already made a substantial down payment.

They lost my arrival date and sent the cab to the airport at the wrong day and time - then woke my travelling companion at midnight to demand he explain why I was not at the airport. Even when I showed them the email confirming my arrival they continued to belligerently insist it was my fault. Meanwhile the people they sent at the wrong time to pick me up for my "free" cab ride from the airport insisted on an exorbitant payment from my travelling companion because they "had waited six hours".

They messed up the reservation and claimed we had booked two rooms not one and demanded we pay for the extra room for at least one night. When I showed them the confirmation email showing we only booked one room - they remained belligerent but eventually conceded the point.

And so it went for two lousy days..we moved to another hotel - cheaper, better and cleaner rooms, just as quiet and civilized and helpful staff (the Pilgrim Guest House)

Could not wait to leave......

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Hotel Blue Horizon is in a relatively quiet location but still very close to Thamel. We stayed twice during our trip, once at the start and once at the end of our trip. Our room the first night was distinctly average but on our return our room was very nice, yet both were under the same category. I think the best rooms are given to the guests that arrive earlier on in the day. The breakfast was good and the service was good. The garden/dining area was very nice and relaxing after the hustle and bustle of Kathmandu.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kathmandu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hotel is a great value since it has hot water, air con and heating with a back up generator for these pesky Kathmandu power cuts. The rooms are large and airy, and are cleaned daily by a staff of 4 maids. The rest of the staff are very friendly and helpful. Especially the day desk manager who when you ask him to do something for you never puts it off or delegates it to another of the staff. He will personally fulfill your request in a timely manner. The restaurants serves very good Nepali and Indian fare at a reasonable price (try the chicken tikka masala). Best of all Hotel Blue Horizon is on the outskirts of Thamel on a dead end lane, so it is very quiet for being in the middle of a big busy city. I spent a total of 6 weeks on and off there and I highly recommend this hotel for any mid budget traveler.

Room Tip: Rooms In Building 1 are airier than in Building 2
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is a great place to land in Kathmandu. The staff is excellent and the food is great. The rooms are spacious and clean. It is walking distance to Thamel and all trekking stuff. Like everywhere in the area it is a bit noisy but located away from any street noise. Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

A fair hotel that away from the noise but close enough to walk to the centre in 5 mins. The room was average but the place in general was ok. Do not use the travel rep. The reception will book your bus tickets for a small fee.
It's a busy place with a high turn over, it serves that very well

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough, I have stayed three times now and each time it has been the perfect base for my holidays in Nepal, the rooms are spacious and well furnished and the beds are comfortable and clean. The staff and management are friendly and always happy to help. Blue Horizon is definitely the place to stay in Kathmandu. The WiFi is also free and is on and available almost 100% of the time even when the power goes down.

Room Tip: Book in advance and fix the price for the room and all taxes prior to arriving for the very best rat...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Blue Horizon? Share your experiences!