“Another great visit at the Blue Horizon” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Blue Horizon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal   |
Ranked #79 of 138 Hotels in Kathmandu
Oregon
“Another great visit at the Blue Horizon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I make the trip to Kathmandu every year, and every year since 2005 I have stayed at the Blue Horizon Hotel, using it as my base of operations for the nonprofit work I do in Nepal. This year was no exception. I just returned from a two-week stay at the Blue Horizon and want to update my review from last year. Since 2010 the hotel has expanded its guest rooms and now occupies three separate buildings around a small parking area/courtyard. The older building (which is a little dated but nonetheless my personal favorite), a second building added in 2010, and a third building added this year. The second and third buildings have large updated rooms with new furnishings. The kitchen has just been relocated to a central location off of the lovely garden. The menu has lots of good selections from Nepali to Chinese to Indian and others. I particularly appreciate that the staff is careful to mention the amount of time a particular item will take to prepare. For example, the kitchen's wonderful momos take about 45 minutes. By all means, order them if you have the time! The garden now has paving stones which lead to individual tables set far enough apart to give you privacy for quiet conversation under the trees. The staff is as wonderful and caring as ever. There is no request too small for the staff to cheerfully deal with. I love this bargain hotel and will of course return in 2012.

Room Tip: Room D-3 is my favorite. It's got a double bed and a twin bed, a sitting area under a large pict...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Bahrain, Lorestan, Iran
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I am delighted to write something about Hotel Blue Horizon. This is not a star hotel but having complete facility and hospitality like a star hotel. Staffs are very co-operative mainly Mr. Sujit, Mr. Hari Krishana and Ms. Arati. Specially I thank to Mr. Binod probably he is a Manager over there is a very helpful and experience person in this hotel. He made my Pokhara tour from Kathmandu very comfortable and pleasant within reasonable charges. He explained me all the bits and pieces about the city as well as surrounding tour. I would highly recommend this hotel for everyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Doha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Set in an excellent location near to the main strip, the hotel has some good rooms and at least one bad one (don't stay in Room D4!!!). The floor was squelchy, full of water leading into the bathroom, and the toilet was very smelly. The maids clearly have not received the correct instructions on how to clean under the toilet rim with bleach. Other than that, the room was nice, with satellite TV, air-conditioning and clean sheets. The garden was wonderful and peaceful and the staff (especially Hare Krishna) were exceptionally helpful and friendly. Would only stay again if all toilets were clean.

Room Tip: Don't accept room D4.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
NpjBnk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I booked this hotel to my brother and his wife from Austria. I sent mail to Mr. Tika Regmi and got the prompt response and settle the price. It was during the the Dashain festival so hotel lacked staffs so the service was slow which was very obvious. I would like to mention few things in point-wise

a. Airport pick up was free and they made it but the person holding the hotel's banner asked 5 Euro from my brother for the sake of festival. We are habitual for all these things o we did not mind but the guest who are not use to for such things may think it otherwise.

b. The reception was very small and not impressive at all I could see some torn seat of couch..the receptionist seemed to be really unprofessional or she might be substituional staff as most of the staffs were on leave for dashain..she tried to welcome the guest but welcoming warmth was missing...

c. As per our agreement the hotel alloted the suite room S2 which was very good but the bathroom though was very spacious but not proper cleaned...hot water was plentiful....S1 room I saw seems better than S2...I also saw some other rooms which for me seemed better than suite 2

d. Food was worst I must say...needs great effort in this regard

e. Staffs were nice, i must mention Mr Tika who was very quick to answer all my mails. I can not say much about service because in the middle of the festival when most of the staffs were gone to their home, it can't be judged.
f. Finally, though I have rated it only 3 out of 5, I recommend this property to all because it has a great potentialities just management needs to put some more effort

Dhulikhel, Nepal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I contacted the Blue Horizon Hotel a day before my booked and prepaid reservation through Hotels.com. Only to be told “bad luck”, they were overbooked by 20 bookings for this night, mostly prepaid internet bookings, and they could not guarantee a room. Their suggestion: arrive early. Not possible as I work outside Kathmandu and could only arrive in the evening. So who gets the money? They do? Corruption at all levels. Never again will I book with Hotels.com My 18th visit to Nepal and while it's good to see increased tourism it's sad to see increased contempt for guests. A refund would be good.

Room Tip: Go to better quaiity hotels like Kantipur Temple House
Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Wellington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

This hotel had a number of positives going for it. It was off the busy streets and therefore was very peaceful. It had a nice outdoor area, but that is probably where the positives ended for us. The room was reasonable value but was a bit tired. We only had cold water for the shower, which wasn't such a big deal because it was very hot. The biggest downer was probably the bed bugs that we are pretty sure one of us picked up in the bed we slept in. In addition to this, we bought bus tickets to Pokhara through the management and are almost certain that we paid about 3x as much as we needed to for them. Needless to say we did not return on our return to Kathmandu. A bit disappointing, so we hope they sort it out sometime soon because it has the makings of a great hotel.

Room Tip: There may be good rooms but we only saw one.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tikaregmi, Manager at Hotel Blue Horizon, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Hotel Blue Horizon, Kathmandu Nepal

Thank you very much for your valuable comments. We are very much glad to receive reviews from you which helps us to know the things. We always accept your feedback and we are ready to take an action.

We have gone through your comments and it would be great for us if you would have complained us on the spot so we would have solved the problem of Hot Shower and so on. We would look in to it and we would have changed room. We have not received complain regarding hot water at our Hotel. We understand that it takes some time until cold water get out from the pipe. it might have happened with you.

We have mentioned on our notice board about bus tickets to Pokhara which is fix price ( 450rs by standard bus and 18$ by deluxe bus). There should be nothing extra charge on it. We are very serious on your comments and we are taking action soon. Hope you would give us one more time to welcome you in our Hotel.

Thanks
Management
Hotel Blue Horizon
Aspen, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Various room sizes. Very comfortable, clean and pleasant room. Ours had a modest view. Great park-like setting at the end of the street off the main tourist hub-bub. Still only 2-3 minutes to the tourist mania.
Didn't try the restaurant, but prices seemed a bit on the high side. Only there one night but certainly worked for us.

Room Tip: top floor may get you a modest view. Although with Kathmandu air quality full on view of mt peaks i...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Blue Horizon? Share your experiences!